+ Post New Thread
Web Development Thread, SEO help in Coding and Web Development; I'm looking for some help. We have our sch.uk domain registered with the LEA and then pay for our webhosting ...

Thank Post

SEO help

I'm looking for some help. We have our sch.uk domain registered with the LEA and then pay for our webhosting with Catalyst2 who we also have a .co.uk domain registered with.

Everytime you search for our school in a search engine though it will return the .co.uk address however our Head is adamant he wants it to be the .sch.uk domain. How do we do this? I'm assuming this is done through SEO although ive no previous experience with this and limited knowledge about all things web hosting and domains etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Is the .sch.uk domain just redirecting all traffic to the .co.uk domain (this is sometimes done by just putting a frame inside a main page?) If this is the case, then because all your content is on the .co.uk domain I don't think you can get the sch domain to show up - there's nothing there.

Thank Post
    you can type the sch.uk address in and it will take you to the site and will display the sch.uk address at the top. (which is what the head wants from when people come to the site through a google search)

I dont think it is like you said where by it just forwards all traffic to the .co.uk address so that it always shows as that address even if you type the sch.uk address in.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Can you give us the address and then we can have a look?

Thank Post
    the address is Macclesfield High School and we want it to use Macclesfield High School.

Thank Post
    It looks like your .co.uk domain has got a higher google pagerank because it has more pages linking back to it; even your own Wikipedia page links to it.

I think you will have to use a 301 http redirect code on the .co.uk site to redirect browsers to .sch.uk. Once that's been in place for a few weeks the accumulated pagerank should be transferred to the .sch.uk site. You could do the redirect with a .htaccess file, but ideally you want hits on any page to be redirected, not just the home page. On an apache server you could use mod_rewrite to do the redirect, but as you're on IIS I'm not sure how you would do it.

<googling sounds>

Maybe this:
    How to redirect URLs to different Web sites

Thank Post
    thanks for that, i'll have a look and i have been meaning to get that Wikipedia page changed as i didnt set that that up, cheers for the reminder.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread