+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Web Development Thread, Schools using Twitter in Coding and Web Development; While developing our new school website, I'm trying to make a case for us to start using Twitter as a ...

Thank Post

Schools using Twitter

While developing our new school website, I'm trying to make a case for us to start using Twitter as a way of communicating with both parents and pupils as well as a marketing tool (being an independent school) by boosting our web presence.

I think the powers that be would be more comfortable with the idea if they knew of other schools (both independent and state sector) who used Twitter.

So, do any of you use or know of any schools that do so, and what specifically is it being used for?

Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fernt View Post
    While developing our new school website, I'm trying to make a case for us to start using Twitter as a way of communicating with both parents and pupils as well as a marketing tool (being an independent school) by boosting our web presence.

I think the powers that be would be more comfortable with the idea if they knew of other schools (both independent and state sector) who used Twitter.

So, do any of you use or know of any schools that do so, and what specifically is it being used for?

Thanks in advance.
    i'm currently in the process of doing the same thing

Bootham School (BoothamSchool) on Twitter

Thank Post
    Our head used twitter to let people know if the school was open or closed after the bad weather in jan/feb. Very good.

Gerard MacMahon (mrmacmahon) on Twitter

Thank Post
    We don't use twitter but we do you use wordpress Ashlawn School And Science College - Blogs

Thank Post
    We're seriously considering implementing it next term.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We use twitter - Imperial College

We're also on iTunes (just one example!) and YouTube

Thank Post
    I wanted to use Twitter as a feed for our ChickCam blog but although it works on the outside, its blocked by LEA in schools.

It would have made updates a lot easier than multiple people trying to update one joomla article!

I asked for our a feed (Euxton CE (EuxtonCEPrimary) on Twitter) that I setup to be unblocked but never received an answer

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    While I think it could be used as a powerful communication tool; I don't think any of our students or parents use or even know what Twitter is so would be pointless here.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    While I think it could be used as a powerful communication tool; I don't think any of our students or parents use or even know what Twitter is so would be pointless here.
    does twitter not export rss? because the way i use staff blogs (or will be using) is to pull the rss and feed it to relavent sections on my joomla site.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post
    does twitter not export rss? because the way i use staff blogs (or will be using) is to pull the rss and feed it to relavent sections on my joomla site.
    Yeah it uses/supports RSS.

Thank Post
    Do it and educate them

Same thing was said when email/fax/telephone/post/stone tablets were invented

Just start doing it in parallel with normal communications and see what happens - if your ISP/LEA/RBC allows it

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post
    We don't use twitter but we do you use wordpress Ashlawn School And Science College - Blogs
    That's a great use of blogs. Very inspiring, particularly liked the use of different Wordpress themes to highlight different areas of the curriculum. How difficult was it to get the staff blogging?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fernt View Post

Thanks in advance.
    What if the parent has no access to a computer ? What if they want to speak to a real person ?
    What’s wrong with face to face communication? [It’s been going on for years & is free]
    Can you portray emphasis on phrases / words / situations / facial expressions etc on twitter ?

Yet again this shows [ and I'm not having a personal dig at you btw !! ] the over emphasis on IT & computers in schools.
    Keep it simple and use a format the majority of people can relate to - a simple news letter or actually talking to a real person.

Thank Post
    I was thinking about using Twitter as an emergency messaging service for my school but then they withdrew UK txt support.

I see now that vodaphone are relaying tweets again so it may be back on. Just got to sort out the fact that Twitter is blocked by county.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    What if the parent has no access to a computer ? What if they want to speak to a real person ?
    Whatís wrong with face to face communication? [Itís been going on for years & is free]
    Can you portray emphasis on phrases / words / situations / facial expressions etc on twitter ?

Yet again this shows [ and I'm not having a personal dig at you btw !! ] the over emphasis on IT & computers in schools.
    Keep it simple and use a format the majority of people can relate to - a simple news letter or actually talking to a real person.
    It'd just be another means of communication, and not a replacement for another. There's no way we'd ever consider using it to replace even email communication. As well as the numerous restrictions that Twitter has compared to an email (characters, the fact that you'd have to be registered in order to enter into correspondence), there's the privacy issue - a lot of things we'd send by email, letter or through a phone call would simply not be suitable for all to see on Twitter.

But I think it could be valuable to us. The bad weather updates is an obvious advantage, while club cancellations, sports fixture changes, postponements and results, travel information and just general reminders would all be useful to tweet about.

Thanks for all of the responses. There's some really interesting ideas floating about.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast