+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28
Web Development Thread, Schools using Twitter in Coding and Web Development; Keep it simple and use a format the majority of people can relate to - a simple news letter or ...
  1. #16

    SimpleSi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    5,829
    Thank Post
    1,476
    Thanked 595 Times in 446 Posts
    Rep Power
    170
    Keep it simple and use a format the majority of people can relate to - a simple news letter or actually talking to a real person.
    These are normally the first form of communication with parents/pupils but its sometimes not practical to send an extra newsletter out or take a megaphone to the gates and announce that footballs cancelled tonight

    Thats where email/txt/blog/RSS/twittering can help.

    Also, its a good backup for pupil post failure

    regards

    Simon
    Last edited by SimpleSi; 2nd April 2009 at 11:39 AM.

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0

    Post

    We've enabled Twitter for a school in south London - Eltham College.

    The Head updates his Twitter feed every day, with the message posted to the front page of the website. With the CMS, he can update the home page any way, but he liked the idea of Twitter and finding different ways to engage the community. The ability to post from his phone is a bonus.

    We used JQuery to break down the elements of the Twitter feed and present it in the way we wanted, so it doesn't look like an obvious Twitter feed, and doesn't use the Flash plugin (which has obvious accessibility and SEO issues).

  3. #18

    TechMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    3,336
    Thank Post
    227
    Thanked 433 Times in 315 Posts
    Rep Power
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    What if the parent has no access to a computer ? What if they want to speak to a real person ?
    Whatís wrong with face to face communication? [Itís been going on for years & is free]
    Can you portray emphasis on phrases / words / situations / facial expressions etc on twitter ?

    Yet again this shows [ and I'm not having a personal dig at you btw !! ] the over emphasis on IT & computers in schools.
    Keep it simple and use a format the majority of people can relate to - a simple news letter or actually talking to a real person.
    Though what about the flip side? What if a parent can't get into the school? Doesn't like using the phone for simple questions. Is house bound?
    As an added bit of communication that can fill a gap I think it is good and will look into this. No it isn't a full solution but it is another avenue to use and if parents pick up on it and use it all the better.

  4. #19

    mattx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,249
    Thank Post
    1,061
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts
    Rep Power
    741
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    Though what about the flip side? What if a parent can't get into the school? Doesn't like using the phone for simple questions. Is house bound?
    As an added bit of communication that can fill a gap I think it is good and will look into this. No it isn't a full solution but it is another avenue to use and if parents pick up on it and use it all the better.
    It does not fill a gap at all, in fact it creates yet another gap where people tend to communicate via a screen or through a device which stops the normal day to say communication of using one's own mouth & face.
    A full face one to one conversation is much better than hiding behind a keyboard and monitor in which more and more people do these days.

  5. #20

    webman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    8,422
    Thank Post
    645
    Thanked 967 Times in 667 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    It does not fill a gap at all, in fact it creates yet another gap where people tend to communicate via a screen or through a device which stops the normal day to say communication of using one's own mouth & face.
    A full face one to one conversation is much better than hiding behind a keyboard and monitor in which more and more people do these days.
    Just stick to your chalk & slate then

  6. #21

    mattx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,249
    Thank Post
    1,061
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts
    Rep Power
    741
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    Just stick to your chalk & slate then
    Too right !!

    A good teacher [ thank god I am not a teacher !! ] won't need a fancy computer, IWB, fancy 'educational software' and whizz bang graphics to hold a pupil's attention. If they do, then they shouldn't be teaching.
    Name 2 bits of 'educational software' that have really influenced you, now name 2 teachers who have.....

    The more I think about computers in schools, the more I am against them - Clifford Stoll has a lot to answer for !!!

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    44
    Thank Post
    14
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by fernt View Post
    While developing our new school website, I'm trying to make a case for us to start using Twitter as a way of communicating with both parents and pupils as well as a marketing tool (being an independent school) by boosting our web presence.

    I think the powers that be would be more comfortable with the idea if they knew of other schools (both independent and state sector) who used Twitter.
    Thanks for all of your help.

    The reaction was very positive, with the only opposition coming from someone who was worried that if the account details were given to a number of members of staff (as is the plan), then we would somehow want to 'proof' tweets before they are sent as the spelling and grammar of some leaves a lot to be desired - a very valid point.

    Looks like we'll be using it in conjunction with our new website though, which is great news.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    851
    Thank Post
    106
    Thanked 66 Times in 47 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    "if the account details were given to a number of members of staff (as is the plan), then we would somehow want to 'proof' tweets before they are sent as the spelling and grammar of some leaves a lot to be desired - a very valid point."

    Exactly - the staff cant be trusted in their spellin` and the tweet content. What they are sending out could not only be deemed incorrect but could also not correctly portray the image disired by the school.

    I liked the idea of the "Headmasters daily tweet", but I doubt our head would find the time, but i may be wrong.

    To all the schools that have unblocked "tweeting" internally, do you not have a huge problem of students tweeting and reading tweets other than the intended school tweet? While I can see its benefits, is it not just unblocking another social networking site?

  9. #24
    WithoutMotive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wigan, UK
    Posts
    631
    Thank Post
    41
    Thanked 49 Times in 43 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    I was thinking about doing this before this half term and have handed it over to the head. The feed would be on our website which means instant communication.

    I think the possibilities at school events would be brilliant.
    Live "tweets" as things happen at football or music events. Even with photographs to Twitpic.
    When the event is over, the tweets could be consolidated into an accurate blog about the event.

    I just hope she says yes, now.

  10. #25

    GrumbleDook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gosport, Hampshire
    Posts
    10,074
    Thank Post
    1,384
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    614
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Too right !!

    A good teacher [ thank god I am not a teacher !! ] won't need a fancy computer, IWB, fancy 'educational software' and whizz bang graphics to hold a pupil's attention. If they do, then they shouldn't be teaching.
    Name 2 bits of 'educational software' that have really influenced you, now name 2 teachers who have.....

    The more I think about computers in schools, the more I am against them - Clifford Stoll has a lot to answer for !!!
    You are Phil Beadle and I claim my five pounds!

  11. #26
    WithoutMotive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wigan, UK
    Posts
    631
    Thank Post
    41
    Thanked 49 Times in 43 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by WithoutMotive View Post
    I was thinking about doing this before this half term and have handed it over to the head. The feed would be on our website which means instant communication.

    I think the possibilities at school events would be brilliant.
    Live "tweets" as things happen at football or music events. Even with photographs to Twitpic.
    When the event is over, the tweets could be consolidated into an accurate blog about the event.

    I just hope she says yes, now.
    Yay!
    It was approved the other day and now the school has a Twitter account which feeds to our website.
    So, visitors can either catch up with updates on our website or follow us on Twitter.

    It's useful for event updates, immediate information (like when the phones are down AGAIN!) and other stuff.

    Yay Twitter.

  12. #27
    dinsyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In an airless, window free cupboard at the back of the ICT suite...
    Posts
    28
    Thank Post
    20
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Thumbs up We use twitter...

    Hi guys,

    We are a Primary school in Litherland, Liverpool who have been using twitter feeds for a short while now in school to update the school website. Feel free to check it out here: www.englishmartyrs.co.uk
    Our twitter blog here: English Martyrs (EnglishMartyrs) on Twitter

    We feel it is a useful reason for using twitter. Headteacher's phone is set up to update too.

    Regards,

    Lewis

  13. #28
    robertsenior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    43
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    29
    yes we use twitter
    and its a really good way of getting the info across to both parents and student



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Twitter Poll How Many people use twitter
    By russdev in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 27th May 2009, 05:19 PM
  2. Twitter
    By Edu-IT in forum Other Stuff
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 26th May 2009, 03:16 PM
  3. Twitter over capacity.
    By plexer in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26th February 2009, 06:28 PM
  4. [Pics] early twitter....
    By Face-Man in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 6th January 2009, 10:29 AM
  5. EduGeek On Twitter
    By russdev in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st April 2007, 05:37 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •