+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Web Development Thread, Google Search in Coding and Web Development; Originally Posted by ittech Get other respected sites to link to you such as wikipedia Being linked to from Wikipedia ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ittech View Post
    Get other respected sites to link to you such as wikipedia
    Being linked to from Wikipedia won't make your school web page appear higher up in search results.

Wikipedia links have a 'nofollow' attribute, meaning that the link will not influence the link target's ranking in the search engines. More about that at, yep, [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nofollow]Wikipedia[/ame].

Thank Post
    Depends, yes, google bots will not follow your website from the Wikipedia link. But people will, if you've got google stats, google will pick on this.

Yes, technically it won't, but it will help get real users, which is what counts.

Thank Post

Google search

Don't know about Joomla, I use Frontpage, but I added the keywords for our site in small type at the bottom of each page. Took a week or so to have an effect. Also I always ask people to search for us using google. Hope this helps.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaW View Post
    I added the keywords for our site in small type at the bottom of each page. Took a week or so to have an effect.
    This is known as [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyword_stuffing]keyword stuffing[/ame] and is frowned upon by search engines. Although it may work in the short term (as it has in your case), in the long term you are likely to be penalised for using this technique.

Quackers - I've had a quick look at your site and you appear to be doing everything right on there, so, as others have suggested, get some other sites to link to you, making sure that the anchor text they use contains the keywords you want to be searched by - Chesterton Community Sports College.

Thank Post

Google search

RE: keyword stuffing - I followed the recommendations in the Google help files for making your website appear higher in the lists! What might I expect in the way of penalties?

Thank Post
    I'm very surprised Google recommended that. Maybe they meant that you should use the keywords naturally within your site's content?

Penalties would be either appearing lower in search results or simply just being removed from Google's listings. The latter has happened to the school across the road from us, although I don't know if that was specifically for keyword stuffing.

I wouldn't worry if you've just put the name of your school in small type at the bottom of each page (in fact, that could be legitimate - most organisations would do so along with an address and contact details), but if you've put, for example, a dozen variations of the type of school you are and the names of your competitors then I'd remove them.

Google published an excellent Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide (PDF - 550 KB) towards the end of last year, which is well worth a read - even if you're already a seasoned SEOer.

7. Thanks to fernt from:

LisaW (7th February 2009)

Thank Post
    Just wondering but would contacting other schools and asking them to put a hidden link to your school on the bottom of there pages, in return for you doing the same have any effect?

Thank Post
    There's nothing wrong with exchanging links, as long as they're not hidden - if they are hidden, it's not adding anything to the website and that's why it'll be frowned upon.

Thank Post
    fernt - thanks for info.
    Have looked at that and google help again (last looked about 4 years ago) and I think what we are doing is well within guidelines. It is just a line with the name of the school and county at the bottom of each page, much as you would have for contact details or copy write.

Thank Post
    Well its moved up 4 places in the search results, so slowly getting there.....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaW View Post
    It is just a line with the name of the school and county at the bottom of each page, much as you would have for contact details or copy write.
    In which case you'll be absolutely fine.

Thank Post
    It does take a while to reach the top but you get there in the end, mine took ages.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12