+ Post New Thread
Web Development Thread, External Access for Internal DB in Coding and Web Development; Hello Can someone confirm or point me in the right direction for what i would need to do to allow ...

Thank Post

External Access for Internal DB

Hello

Can someone confirm or point me in the right direction for what i would need to do to allow staff external\remote access to our school reporting system.
    Currently the system is available in school via intranet. The system is a simple set of html\asp front end webpages that are linked to a backend ms access database.
    It worked well in parts this time around (first time in use actually)the one problem was staff completing reports at home, to do so they saved pages to a usb stick took them home and then brought them back in completed and then uploaded those pages. Simple enough but it caused problems.
    So for next term allowing them external access would be make life easier.

I did not write the web pages or do the initial setup and have little asp coding experience hence my question..
    So what do i need to do to set this up for next time around? Is it a simple case of creating an external address doing a nat on the firewall to point to the internal server and the iis\asp pages take care of themselves or do i need to recode any pages?
    thanks for any pointers..
    gmiller

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Are you connected to the internet via a LEA provided connection or your own school purchased ISP connection?

If your school internet is via your LEA then you will need to speak to them to see if it is at all doable. You may want to look at off-site web hosting and copy the internal web pages off onto a remote web server.

If you have your own direct internet connection from an ISP you've chosen yourself it may be a case of knowing your external IP address and some port forwarding on your router.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If there is any access to student names or details which I am sure there is you will need at least strong passwords and SSL encryption on the pages otherwise the DPA will eat you and the school for breakfast.

Thank Post
    @tmcd35: no LEA connection, school purchased ISP. So have easy to firewall for changes.

@SYNACK: yep currently have strong password policy in place for staff logins. at least 8 long, one capital one number.
    SSL cert is a definite yep thanks for that.

On the security aspect, is there an app that i can install that will prompt for a generic username\password that i give out staff, once thats entered staff will then get prompted for their own username and password, or is that overkill?

anything else to consider.
    thanks
    gmiller

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gmiller View Post
    On the security aspect, is there an app that i can install that will prompt for a generic username\password that i give out staff, once thats entered staff will then get prompted for their own username and password, or is that overkill?

anything else to consider.
    Might be difficult to do it this way as the windows authentication will only ask for one set of credentials. If you really wanted to go for high security then you could use your own certificate server and generate individual user tokens but that would be pushing it. I would say that as long as they have ok passwords and ok security - like they don't have it on a postit on their classroom computer - this should be fine.

Aditionally do you have an ISA server as this can actually be used to handle user authentication and isolate the internal server from any intrusions untill the user is propperly authenticated. It can also filter http resuest headers to help prevent hacking attempts.

Just to check does your schools link have a static ip address which can be aliased by a subdomain of your current school domain name? A nice subdomain like tests.myschool.uk is much better than 127.168.244.302 for people to remember and it becomes even more difficult if your IP is not static.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Dyndns can help out if your IP address is not static. Gives you an easy to remember url - myschool.dydns.org - and remaps it's IP everytime your ISP changes it.

Also, are you hosting any external websites from your internal network at the moment? Such as the schools website? If so you'd need to pick another port to redirect as port 80 is likely to be taken up by this.

So 127.168.244.302:2455 or myschool.dyndns.org:2455 - using port 2455 instead of port 80 and forwarding incoming requests on your router for port 2455 to port 80 on the internal server hosting the reporting pages.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ive done this exact same thing for our reports system. I had our ISP create a record for subdomain reports.ourschool.co.uk and then forwarded port 80 to our webserver.

SSL encryption for the connection, and it just uses the built in authentication and they log in with their domain usernames and passwords. I also created a page where I can see who is logged in and what IP theyre coming from. Ill give you a copy if you like.

Thank Post
    No ISA server - perimeter security is on my ever growing hit list. currently its an outdated pix firewall thats patched but end of life and no longer supported.. honest its on my to do list!

Yep static ip and can have a sub domain as you suggested. currently have owa available using an address as a subdomain like your suggestion.

thanks for your help.
    gmiller

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread