+ Post New Thread
Web Development Thread, Accessing Access from the Internet in Coding and Web Development; Hey guys, I need a bit of help ... a lot of help really lol. I'm trying to access an ...

Thank Post

Accessing Access from the Internet

Hey guys,

I need a bit of help ... a lot of help really lol.

I'm trying to access an Access Database from the Internet. I want to be able to edit/update and delete information in it.

The whole things leading to the creation of a 'Ticketing System' for my schools IT services.

And I know some of you may say to just buy one but I'd rather learn how to create one for myself.

Any useful links or words of wisdom?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If your creating something from scratch, is there a particular reason for using access? Usually MySQL/HTML would be considered a better solution If it's to be accessed from the Internet. AFAIK Access DB's doesn't run as a server so you'd be basically downloading the DB file locally and running it, then uploading it again. Not sure this is what you'd want. Also, Access DB run from a network share across the internet would be very very slow.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    If your creating something from scratch, is there a particular reason for using access? Usually MySQL/HTML would be considered a better solution If it's to be accessed from the Internet. AFAIK Access DB's doesn't run as a server so you'd be basically downloading the DB file locally and running it, then uploading it again. Not sure this is what you'd want. Also, Access DB run from a network share across the internet would be very very slow.
    Thanks for the reply!

I've read that Access DB's are terrible online. But my MySQL skills are pretty lacking.

Do you think it'd be easier doing it with MySQL?

Any links to point me in right direction?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you want to use the access front end and a propper DB back end look at using MS SQL express 2005. It is free and you can create your database through access by telling access to create the new DB in the server.

This means that you can use an access front end to start with (ADP file) which still keeps the data on the server for speed. You can also tie this data into an HTML application at a later date with the same ease as a MySQL DB.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    If you want to use the access front end and a propper DB back end look at using MS SQL express 2005. It is free and you can create your database through access by telling access to create the new DB in the server.

This means that you can use an access front end to start with (ADP file) which still keeps the data on the server for speed. You can also tie this data into an HTML application at a later date with the same ease as a MySQL DB.
    I understand what you mean but I dont know how to do it.

And I'd definately only want an HTML application to interface with the database.

Are there any tutorials out there?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You may be better going on to somewhere like sourceforge and downloading a free open source one. There are loads of them out there.

If you really want to build your own there are lots of languages that you can use, if you download the express version of Visual Web Developer it would be pretty easy to throw something together. This site may help:
    Learn : The Official Microsoft ASP.NET Site

You could also use any of the open source technologies which also have tutorials scattered around.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread