+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Web Development Thread, Our school website in Coding and Web Development; Hi all, I have created a website for our school. It just uses straight html and css, not cms just ...

Thank Post

Our school website

Hi all,

I have created a website for our school. It just uses straight html and css, not cms just yet as Im getting my head around Joomla atm. Can people just have a browse of the site and tell me what they think, good or bad? I hope to put an RSS feed of kids podcasts soon.

Sheldon Heath Community Arts College - Welcome

Thank Post
    Bit plain

Thank Post
    Too much white space, in header and between header and page content. Maybe some gradient colours instead of solid red. I hope its constructive still a good effort

Thank Post
    Yeah sorry. I was a bit quick there. Had to go and do something so just hit reply.

My constructive advice would be to do something with the navigation - make it interactive so when the user hovers on it it changes colour. I know you have done it with some of the menu's but not all.

As Rush_tech says - too much white space also.

Thank Post
    I had the same thoughts as you guys, but thats how the Head wants it apparently, due to all our literature and letter heads looking like this. As the site is new it is a bit sparse I agree, over time when more conternt is added it should look fuller. The whitespace as I said is the way the Head wants the "look". Any other features you think could go on? Maybe a google search box (once we get indexed of course - i have submitted our url and sitemap to goolge but apparently it can take 3 months to be indexed - Windows live had our site on their search pages within 2 days surprisingly).

Thank Post
    Could you not explain to the head that you know more about the look of websites than he does (put it in a nice way) and at the minute it doesn't look user friendly.

Design him a brilliant new dazzling site and then tell him he can change the letterheads to suit if he feels so strongly

Thank Post
    Mr. Andrews on the Sheldon Heath Community Arts College - 6th Form College looks like he is holding a Van de Graf machine and been offered free cake for a year, made me smile loads that piccy.

I personally like the clean layout of the site. Looks really nice IMO. It will only get better. Keep it upto date though.

I also found it easy to navigate. Grats.

I'm currently getting my head around Joomla to replace our schools website. Got the beginners book thing printed out here to read tonight.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Could you not explain to the head that you know more about the look of websites than he does (put it in a nice way) and at the minute it doesn't look user friendly.

Design him a brilliant new dazzling site and then tell him he can change the letterheads to suit if he feels so strongly
    I think the site at the mo is just for an online presence while the Joomla site gets sorted. So using Joomla will do that for the head.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like it! Clean and nicely laid out.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the comments. I've implemented the changing colour thing for the menu's on the navi. Perosnally I like "clean cut" websites rather than cluttered ones. Anymore suggestions/comments please let me know.

Thank Post
    I like nice clean looking websites. The only thing I noticed in my brief scan was a lack of image tags. I got slated when I produced our website without them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    I like nice clean looking websites. The only thing I noticed in my brief scan was a lack of image tags. I got slated when I produced our website without them.
    Yeah, you need those tags for perons with vision difficulties. I think theres a section on that on the World Wide Web Consortium - Web Standards .

Thank Post
    do you mean for the banners on the right hand side or the other images on the site like the staff pics? the reason I havent added them to the code is that I think it makes the site look ungainly when you hover over a pic this little tag comes up. I hadnt really thought about the visually impaired side of things.

Thank Post
    Nice and simple site, nothing wrong with all the white space, it doesn't look cluttered. Navigation is straightforward. Your head's right about the "branding", i.e. getting everything to have the same general feel. People know where they are then. It also looks professional. You could improve it by transferring it to a cms, making your job easier eventually. Keep it up. Excellent.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Very nice site, clean and clear. Gradients are generally ugly on sites, and removing the white space will make it look cluttered.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast