+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Web Development Thread, Promoting school blogs to parents et al in Coding and Web Development; that is why best way to do it as training session on a teacher day then they have to turn ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Promoting school blogs to parents et al

that is why best way to do it as training session on a teacher day then they have to turn up

russ

Thank Post

Anyway....

Back to my original question. How do you promote your school's site? Do you at all, or is it a case of, 'if we build it, they will come?'

If they do come, do they stay? Do they come back? What's there to draw the crowds, to get repeat visits, to engage? Have you feedback loops, surveys, newsletters?

Thank Post

We have it mentioned in most newsletters and termly letters home. Also we set up a computer terminal at most parent events with the website up and running, often with a person to talk to them about it or show them anything.
    That is about as active as we get though. We do not check logs or analysis it to much. We accept feedback from parents if they send it in, or from students if they talk to us about it. The biggest problem is it needs a massive overhaul so we know there are many failings just can't fix them at the moment. Also it isn't on a dynamic host (ASP, PHP, JSP or even CGI) so can't do anything really clever. This is what we are aiming to fix and then we will develop it from there.
    On the other hand, it does the job we want it to, have been commended by some parents and staff at how easy it is to use so we aren't too much in a rush to scrap it.

Thank Post

Parent events! Damn, that's so obvious, and powerful! Nice one TechMonkey!

I can see it now... "And here's a page that your daughter wrote, and her illustration. Of course, you can log in and post comments on this. I'm sure she'd really appreciate that."

Thank Post

We don't have a terminal per member of staff on Parents Evening. Mainly when we have a spring fair organised by the Parents group we have a terminal up, or prospective parents evening, parent/governor meetings etc etc. Also means we can promote the schoolcomms, which is the email/text message system we have adopted to get away from paper letters.

Thank Post

Do you mean http://www.schoolcomms.com/ ? Looks good value.

How is adoption of this with parents? Are you getting their mobile numbers, or are they holding back?

Thank Post

I was about to post this 10 mins ago until we lost internet connection....but that's another story

there's a little bit of "you build it..."
    as far as I'm concerned I'm not looking for awards. I design a school website to be practical, easily navigable, ok, it helps if it looks good. the intended audience is, staff, pupils, parents and prospective parents. there are 2 main maethods of getting the attention of parents, letters home (which, hopefully, ther website will mostly do away with) and notices in the local paper in the schools' diary section, or, if they haven't filled all their space, an article in the paper. I've always found that if you can provide 90% of the story then a journalist will run with it. but that's only my view.
    can anybody else help?

Thank Post

Yep thats the one. Not sure of uptake as we made sure we only had to technically maintain it, not run it. I don't think we have used the mobile services much yet, if at all. The schools we talked to that had trialled it really had got into using teh SMS though and had started using it in ways the suprised the provider even. The bonus is that we don't have to chase around after parents to keep up to date, they do it all. This is the first year we have run it so we are hoping more uptake as we go on. But is a smart piece of kit.

Thank Post

sorry to join in the argument.... but the bishop barringtoin school site looks quality.. steve... im not sure if yours look brilliant or hideous..... im teetering towards the latter im afraid... and the pages are cluttered... what can you do tho eh!

Thank Post

i did my usual trick of not reading the entire thingy and realising that the argument ended ages ago... DOH! lol

Thank Post

Brilliant or hideous? Genius or fool? Ouch!

Cluttered or packed? One of the best things to on your website is to send visitors away. The fundamental law of the Internet is: "The more you send them away, the more they come back."

http://www.scripting.com/2005/12/12....ternetVersion3

This is one of the best unintended benefits of good blogging. The more links you provide, off to other sites (and your own pages) the better it is. Surfers aren't looking for details about uniforms, school philosophies... They're looking for more linkage. Surfers like to surf.

Or is cluttered merely a visual punch in the face? Two people saying the designs are cluttered has made me sit up. Could you elaborate?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12