+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
Web Development Thread, Marquee Text in Coding and Web Development; I've got some marquee text scrolling an RSS feed from the BBC, it has scrolling hyperlinks in the RSS feed ...
  1. #1
    Silverman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Worksop, Nottinghamshire
    Posts
    50
    Thank Post
    15
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Marquee Text

    I've got some marquee text scrolling an RSS feed from the BBC, it has scrolling hyperlinks in the RSS feed

    My question is, is it possible to add some code so when you hover over the hyperlink in the marquee the marquee stops scrolling, and then when you move off of the link it starts scrolling again?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks,
    Silv.

  2. #2
    Dodgex1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    122
    Thank Post
    11
    Thanked 32 Times in 20 Posts
    Rep Power
    20
    Code:
    <marquee scrollamount=3 onmouseover="this.stop()" onmouseout="this.start()">This is my friggin awesome Marquee</marquee>
    works in IE not sure about FF.

  3. Thanks to Dodgex1 from:

    Silverman (25th June 2008)

  4. #3
    Jona's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cranleigh
    Posts
    467
    Thank Post
    14
    Thanked 50 Times in 48 Posts
    Rep Power
    23
    Might be worth noting that if your using xhtml a marquee tag will invalidate you page as it's not a supported tag (The marquee Element - scrolling marquee). Javascript with css might be a better way to do this.

  5. #4
    Silverman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Worksop, Nottinghamshire
    Posts
    50
    Thank Post
    15
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodgex1 View Post
    Code:
    <marquee scrollamount=3 onmouseover="this.stop()" onmouseout="this.start()">This is my friggin awesome Marquee</marquee>
    works in IE not sure about FF.
    Thats brilliant thank you, works perfectly!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jona View Post
    Might be worth noting that if your using xhtml a marquee tag will invalidate you page as it's not a supported tag (The marquee Element - scrolling marquee). Javascript with css might be a better way to do this.
    I didn't know that. I'll use the above code currently, but look into Javascript - It's on my list to learn.

    Do you know of any good books/websites for a beginner in Javascript?

    Thanks for the help.
    Silv.

  6. #5
    Jona's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cranleigh
    Posts
    467
    Thank Post
    14
    Thanked 50 Times in 48 Posts
    Rep Power
    23
    about.com actually provide a javascript example (I don't know if it is standards compatible) here: Cross Browser Ticker/Marquee Example

    Beginners javascript website you can't go wrong with w3schools - JavaScript Tutorial

    As for books anything by O'reilly I've generally found to be very good.

    Cheers
    Jona

  7. Thanks to Jona from:

    Silverman (25th June 2008)

  8. #6
    Silverman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Worksop, Nottinghamshire
    Posts
    50
    Thank Post
    15
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jona View Post
    about.com actually provide a javascript example (I don't know if it is standards compatible) here: Cross Browser Ticker/Marquee Example

    Beginners javascript website you can't go wrong with w3schools - JavaScript Tutorial

    As for books anything by O'reilly I've generally found to be very good.

    Cheers
    Jona
    Awesome, thank you!

    I will be taking note on the w3schools website. Looks like a good learning centre for me to spend many hours pulling my hair over!

    Thanks again,
    Silv.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Save pdf as text
    By SimpleSi in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 25th June 2008, 12:19 AM
  2. Old Text Messages
    By triggmiester in forum Netbooks, PDA and Phones
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10th June 2008, 01:07 PM
  3. Need help moving text
    By jamin100 in forum EduGeek Joomla 1.0 Package
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2nd April 2008, 01:40 AM
  4. Emails and Text Parents
    By cooper in forum Hardware
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 18th March 2008, 03:36 PM
  5. Text WEP key for hex input
    By NetworkGeezer in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16th March 2006, 07:16 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •