+ Post New Thread
Web Development Thread, Dynamic Local Webpage - for dummy. in Coding and Web Development; I am trying to create a dynamic locally hosted webpage that (ideally) is authenticated via active directory user names. For ...
    Thank Post

Dynamic Local Webpage - for dummy.

I am trying to create a dynamic locally hosted webpage that (ideally)
    is authenticated via active directory user names.

For example, PupilA logs in to network, opens up webpage (I assume .asp) on server - sees data specific to them that opens from database (Ideally Access)

I can get what I what easily using dbqwiksite and have dabbled with joomla,
    but have no real knowledge of php or anything.

MS Visual webdeveloper and DotNetNuke are other things which look like
    they have do want I want.

Can anyone point me in the right direction???

Thank Post
    You're not being very clear as to what you actually want this 'dynamic' page to show. What is it you're trying to achieve?

I don't mean to be rude or anything there, just trying to establish what you want.

Thank Post
    Have you considered Sharepoint [WSS]?

Thank Post
    I've just been reading about sharepoint,
    and also about Joomla AD authentication on this forum.

To clarify what I'm trying to produce it's this:

1. Pupil logs into webpage
    2 . Data is presented to them (about their grades basically) from database

The database stores name, form, grade, comment.
    I want them to see what is specific to them only.
    No one needs write-access as such.

I have got this working with dbqwiksite. But it authenticates
    the login via fields inside the database and not our existing active directory
    list of usernames and passwords.

I'm sure this is a 5 minute job for someone, but I've spent days trying to figure it all out.

Thank Post
    i have created a system on out web site which functions like a VLE basically reads the contence of the specific folder and prints as html...anyway...the kids (and staff) have to login to this, using their school un and pw. works a treat now (log time battles tho).
    have the same doing on the admin pages for the site. staff were not using the old site bcus they had to sign up for it then remembeer their un and pw.

if you want any specific advice how to set this up drop me a line (number on our website, dont really want it plastered on the net) ask for Adam.

Home - Painsley Catholic College

Thank Post
    I have got an extensive VLE set up doing exactly what you are saying you want to do - logging in uses domain security - so same username and password as normal log in.

The grades we suck out are directly from the SQL dbase behind CMIS, as are the timetable, groups and attendance information.

Then additional access and SQL dbases provide email functions, blogs, buddies, mentoring targets etc.

I do this using asp on a member server within the domain.

The access side of it is just a question of getting iis set up properly and the displaying of information from a database is relatively standard asp functionality using ado.

If you are setting out to learn from scratch then it is probably worth you looking at asp.net rather than classic asp - you will get more functionality and more future proofing.

Not really got around to upgrading to .net yet but happy to help with classic asp if you want it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    I am trying to create a dynamic locally hosted webpage that (ideally) is authenticated via active directory user names.
    Most any modern language will do what you describe above - provide a web-based interface to the user that lets them log in with some credentials stored in an authentication database someplace, then haul some data out of another database and display it to the user. That's pretty much "web based programming" for you, and you have your pick of ASP/PHP/Python/Ruby/etc/etc to do it.

Note that you don't want to use Microsoft Access to store your data, you want a proper SQL database server - something that sits on a computer and is available for you to send queries to. You probably already have one floating around somewhere anyway. You can use Access to act as an interface to such a database, letting you easily design tables and suchlike, you just don't want to store your data in an Access file. You don't have to use Microsoft SQL, you could use MySQL instead, and there are plenty of other tools around for setting up databases.

For the authentication part, you probably want to investigate LDAP. Active Directory can act as an LDAP server, and pretty much every language available has some kind of LDAP library.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks
    Note that you don't want to use Microsoft Access to store your data, you want a proper SQL database server
    Why would you not want to use a Microsoft Access database?

This can be a very effective method to get you started, it is then pretty easy to upscale to an SQL Server when you have got everything set up how you want it.

For the authentication part, you probably want to investigate LDAP
    As the page is going to be hosted locally - presumably on a member server - then there is no need to get involved in ldap initially - using local security on an IIS server will more than suffice.

If you are looking to just get started and make it as easy as possible to get to grip with the basics then I would say an Access Dbase and iis managed security could get you up and running in a couple of hours with some basic script to get you started. Especially as all you are looking for is sucking data out, not writing it back.

There is plenty you can achieve with this basic set up to begin with, then when you have a basic understanding you can go for the bigger solution better informed and more likely to get it how you want it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by limbo View Post
    This can be a very effective method to get you started, it is then pretty easy to upscale to an SQL Server when you have got everything set up how you want it.
    I guess, it's still two lots of things to learn, though. Same goes for LDAP - I figure you might as well learn how to get your application authenticating against LDAP straight off, skip having to sort out anything else. Also helps when feature-creep means that all of a sudden this has to be accessible from home, too. You can always cheat and simply parse system() calls to command-line LDAP tools if no LDAP library is available.

Depending on the exact scope of this project, it might not even need a database or dynamically-generated pages at all. It could be that the original poster simply wants a script that will read in a bunch of data from a file (Access, Excel, CSV, whatever) and spew out a bunch of nicely-formatted HTML pages that can be placed in pupil's home directories / web areas / printed out / etc.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    I guess, it's still two lots of things to learn, though.
    True - i just wonder whether learning little bits at a time -after all going from access to SQL is easy these days - Access can automatically export a dbase to an SQL server, and then it should just be a question of changing your connection string.

Also helps when feature-creep means that all of a sudden this has to be accessible from home, too.
    No reason this cannot be used to access from home - just a question of having the right ports open on your firewall. This is exactly how we do it - the webserver is in house, connected to the domain and therefore uses domain security to manage access. But I can see what you are saying.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread