Web Development Thread, Access Fileserver Data via SharePoint? in Coding and Web Development; Hi people,
I have been looking into getting remote access to a file servers for staff here at the school ...
28th April 2008, 04:12 PM #1
Access Fileserver Data via SharePoint?
I have been looking into getting remote access to a file servers for staff here at the school (So they can access my documents remotely). One option my boss wants me to consider is using SharePoint since SharePoint services is free and we even have licenses for the full version. I have found a few sites that point me in the right direction but it doesn't seem easy.
Has anyone done this or does anyone know of a good resource for setting this up? Also on another note would you recommend staying clear of this sort of setup?
IDG Tech News
28th April 2008, 06:03 PM #2
You dont have to have sharepoint to publish files that are stored in a normal share on the server. You could enable webdav on the server and publish it through IIS with directory browsing.
This means when a user goes to the URL from IE they can see the files listed. If they navigate through My Network Places/Networks they can see it like it was in explorer.
I have some instructions somewhere if you want them?? Let me know
29th April 2008, 09:44 AM #3
Yes please, that sounds good thanks. At the very least I would like to look into it and see what I could do.
I assume the users would have to logon to the web site and you could then only give them rights to look at the folders you wanted right?
29th April 2008, 09:54 AM #4
- Install IIS 6 on the on the server.
- Open IIS 6 Manager
- Right click on Default Website - Properties
- Go to Directory Security
- Under Authentication and access control click Edit
- Uncheck Enable Anonymous Access
- Check Integrated Windows Authentication
- Check Basic Authentication and add the domain to Domain Realm
- Click Ok and Click Ok
- Right click Default Website then to New and then Virtual Directory
- Give it an alias (I have mine called StaffShared which is the whole shared area)
- Go to the Path of the top level folder you want to publish
- Right click on the alias you create (staffshared) - Properties
- Go to Home Directory tab,
- Check Directory Browsin
- Taking the example above if you open IE and put in http://fileserver/staffshared you will see the web page with the files in the root of the published site
- If you then open it as a web folder in Network on Vista you will be able to use it like Windows Explorer.
- You can also map a network drive to it in Vista
29th April 2008, 05:43 PM #5
Thanks for that I'll try it out hopefully at some point this week
30th April 2008, 05:24 PM #6
Hi thanks for the info it worked well (As a test atm the mo I have it setup internally).
Is there anyway of being able to save documents back to it though? I don't think there is is there?
Maybe this was one reason he wanted me to use sharepoint as I think you possibly could upload and download files with this?
Thanks for the instructions for this file sharing though itís good to know you can do that much will so little effort!
30th April 2008, 05:28 PM #7
If your using Vista - you can map a network drive to it and open it or with a bit of html coding you can tell it to open as web folder... this will allow you to read and write
I think I have the code somewhere...
30th April 2008, 05:43 PM #8
By adamt82 in forum Virtual Learning Platforms
Last Post: 7th November 2008, 12:34 PM
By My220x in forum Virtual Learning Platforms
Last Post: 23rd October 2008, 05:47 PM
By wesleyw in forum Windows
Last Post: 20th October 2008, 01:18 PM
By scottyses in forum Virtual Learning Platforms
Last Post: 26th April 2008, 05:02 PM
By jrubinstein in forum Virtual Learning Platforms
Last Post: 26th March 2007, 04:44 PM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)