Web Development Thread, Access Fileserver Data via SharePoint? in Coding and Web Development; Hi people,
I have been looking into getting remote access to a file servers for staff here at the school ...
28th April 2008, 04:12 PM #1
28th April 2008, 06:03 PM #2
You dont have to have sharepoint to publish files that are stored in a normal share on the server. You could enable webdav on the server and publish it through IIS with directory browsing.
This means when a user goes to the URL from IE they can see the files listed. If they navigate through My Network Places/Networks they can see it like it was in explorer.
I have some instructions somewhere if you want them?? Let me know
29th April 2008, 09:44 AM #3
29th April 2008, 09:54 AM #4
- Install IIS 6 on the on the server.
- Open IIS 6 Manager
- Right click on Default Website - Properties
- Go to Directory Security
- Under Authentication and access control click Edit
- Uncheck Enable Anonymous Access
- Check Integrated Windows Authentication
- Check Basic Authentication and add the domain to Domain Realm
- Click Ok and Click Ok
- Right click Default Website then to New and then Virtual Directory
- Give it an alias (I have mine called StaffShared which is the whole shared area)
- Go to the Path of the top level folder you want to publish
- Right click on the alias you create (staffshared) - Properties
- Go to Home Directory tab,
- Check Directory Browsin
- Taking the example above if you open IE and put in http://fileserver/staffshared you will see the web page with the files in the root of the published site
- If you then open it as a web folder in Network on Vista you will be able to use it like Windows Explorer.
- You can also map a network drive to it in Vista
29th April 2008, 05:43 PM #5
30th April 2008, 05:24 PM #6
30th April 2008, 05:28 PM #7
If your using Vista - you can map a network drive to it and open it or with a bit of html coding you can tell it to open as web folder... this will allow you to read and write
I think I have the code somewhere...
30th April 2008, 05:43 PM #8
- Rep Power
By adamt82 in forum Virtual Learning Platforms
Last Post: 7th November 2008, 12:34 PM
By My220x in forum Virtual Learning Platforms
Last Post: 23rd October 2008, 05:47 PM
By wesleyw in forum Windows
Last Post: 20th October 2008, 01:18 PM
By scottyses in forum Virtual Learning Platforms
Last Post: 26th April 2008, 05:02 PM
By jrubinstein in forum Virtual Learning Platforms
Last Post: 26th March 2007, 04:44 PM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)