+ Post New Thread
Web Development Thread, HTML tag help in Coding and Web Development; I'm currently using a screensaver that directs to a powerpoint presentation saved as an htm file on my webserver so ...
    Thank Post

HTML tag help

I'm currently using a screensaver that directs to a powerpoint presentation saved as an htm file on my webserver so that i can add content as often as i like. Currently this works well although recently i've noticed that none of the computers have been caching the presentation resulting in high amounts of network traffic constantly during screensaver activity.

I thought the default behavior of a web page was to cache locally unless specified not to using the <META HTTP-EQUIV=CACHE-CONTROL CONTENT="NO-CACHE"> tag but doesn't seem to be the case here. Anyway i've added the tag <META HTTP-EQUIV=CACHE-CONTROL CONTENT="NO-STORE"> which is meant to cache locally but not archive and seems to have done the trick although none of the pictures are caching so is still causing high amounts of network traffic. Also do i need to add an expires tag to this now so to force a check for new additions? or does the NO-STORE tag take care of this?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've never really got to grips with the cache tags (they won't do what I want!) but could you do it differently and force your own caching.

We do something a bit similar with our noticeboards at machine startup they use robocopy to copy across images etc from a server to the C: drive and stuff is then displayed from there. This means that even if an image is shown 50 times a day, it's only read once from the server when it's new. Even if someone manages to delete the cached files they get put back at machine startup.

3. Thanks to srochford from:

randle (21st April 2008)

Thank Post
    That sounds like a good idea but would like to see if i can get it working this way first seeing as i spent so much time getting this to work originally ;)

Thank Post
    Doesn't look like i'm going to get anywhere doing it this way. I could do something like you mention, as the screensaver i have just needs redirecting to a local htm file but wouldn't i need to install Robocopy onto all stations first seeing as this isn't installed as part of the XP OS!?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by randle View Post
    Doesn't look like i'm going to get anywhere doing it this way. I could do something like you mention, as the screensaver i have just needs redirecting to a local htm file but wouldn't i need to install Robocopy onto all stations first seeing as this isn't installed as part of the XP OS!?
    No need to install it is simply a standalone executable, you could set your scheduled (on boot) tasks to point to it on a server share and run it from there.

7. Thanks to SYNACK from:

randle (21st April 2008)

Thank Post
    Thanks so much for this idea. Just been playing about this arvo and managed to get it running this way. I didn't realise you could execute robocopy from a remote location....Anyway i added a startup script to a GPO with the /MIR switch and works a treat. I can't believe i didn't think of this in the first place

Thanks again.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread