+ Post New Thread
Web Development Thread, Plone/Zope in Coding and Web Development; Anyone looked at this? I had a quick play and have some good results. http://plone.org/ your thoughts.... :idea:...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts

Plone/Zope

Anyone looked at this?
    I had a quick play and have some good results.

http://plone.org/

your thoughts.... :idea:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Plone/Zope

Yeah it seems really good, the only thing is that it demands extra server requirements so isn't a quick-and-dirty CMS. If you can set your server own up, the better. There is a good guide for Plone setup on Ubuntu Linux on the web somewhere.

Thank Post

Plone seems to be the fullest featured 'heavyweight' CMS out there. CMSs are very variable beasts - from an application to make a pretty website (eg Typo3), via Joomla, Drupal, Xoops etc etc, to 'do everything groupware' (eg eGroupware).

Plone is nearer the latter and is our choice to fulful many of the latest Becta requirements. I'm just about to install at school after trialing at home.

It authenticates via LDAP and thus every teacher or student can have their own e-portfolio. It understands active directory groups and so each group can have its own shared area and every user can share stuff if they want. There is the usual CMS document management/review/publish stuff and a wealth of addins.

Setting it up is challenging! Linux server, Python, LDAP, Zope, Plone, Apache (because it's web server MUST be proxied) and then configuring it all, but it works beautifully and has a clean interface.

I've been researching this stuff for months and for organising the huge amount of documentation that a school needs - it's the best as far as I am concerned.

If anyone wants to know anything else - let me know!

Cheers

Kevin

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Interesting Kevin

Haven't looked at Plone before, does seem a thorough site! However I don't have a spare box to put it on at the moment, and we have free unlimited hosting provided by the LA which sort of swings the descision.

I'm currently thinking a combination of Drupal, Elgg and Moodle are all a school needs, as proposed by some. I'm testing all three to see how they'd work for us, with some success.

Document management is something that concerns me, and i've been considering Typo3 for this, with the added features of the imminent release and the fact that our LA have standardised on it for all thier websites now [not that they're willing to share the config].
    I've seen the [customised] backend of Typo3 demo'd and it looks slick.

One requirement never met for us is a Welsh translation. A neighbouring school had to pull down thier entire site recently when a student complained that it wasn't bi-lingual!

Thanks for the information anyway. One to put on the radar.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts

Boss decided we are going the moodle/elgg/drupal route, they seem a good combo and he likes/understands php.
    I got quite into the plone thing its pretty sweet, - anyway now off to retrain

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread