+ Post New Thread
Web Development Thread, Approached by other school for web development work in Coding and Web Development; I worked on a website for a small primary school as part of a partnership with my previous secondary school ...

Thank Post

Approached by other school for web development work

I worked on a website for a small primary school as part of a partnership with my previous secondary school - and this website has laid dormant pretty much since I got this new ICT support job.

Now the primary school has approached me and asked would I consider doing work on the website, and they would pay me accordingly...

This is very welcome & great that they want me involved again, but I'm at a loss as to how to charge / invoice them... do I need to register as self-employed? Given this is not going to be for much money, I'm not sure if it's worth my while or not - if I'm going to have to fill in tax returns / register as self employed etc.

The school is education board controlled, so any expenses they have will have to go through the accounts team etc - it can't just be a number of cheques given across.

Thanks for any advice!

Thank Post
    Unless they pay you as an salaried employee you will have to register as self employed etc.

Ive just had to do this because of a school wanting me to invoice them.

I charge a set rate per hour and send them an invoice at the end of each month.

registering as self employed is easy and depending on how much you earn you may not have to pay tax. I think you can also register as tax exempt if under a certain amount.

if you go down that route then make sure you keep records and some money to pay the tax return.

Thank Post
    ok thanks for your advice - I already work full time here (salaried) & also part time (salaried) in another job so well over my tax allowance, so if I work as self-employed I'll probably end up paying more tax than it's worth!

Might just have to turn it down

Thank Post
    We deal with this by just doing it through the school, we get 'pimped out' to other schools quite a lot.

Thank Post
    Could you not discuss this with your current employer to explain the work that you have previously done, they could pay your "Overtime" for the work completed and then invoice the people responsible for the primary school's finances to claim the money back.
    Or if the work is to be completed in your own time the Primary school could send forward an honorary payment which goes on to your wage slip and is taxed accordingly ?
    Your current employer may see it as an opportunity for their partner schools, gives you experience and money whilst it gives the school a good reputation for helping its cluster schools

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread