+ Post New Thread
Web Development Thread, Adobe Illustrator magic wand tool problems in Coding and Web Development; You need to have a new group that is not coding and is not web development but just using apps. ...
    Thank Post

Adobe Illustrator magic wand tool problems

You need to have a new group that is not coding and is not web development but just using apps.

How do you make the background of an object transparent in Adobe Illustrator?

I have been having issues with using the Magic Wand tool in Adobe Illustrator as well as the lasso tool.

Basically, I am trying to put a small graphic into a new Illustrator file.

The first thing I tried to do is to use the magic wand tool. But I found out that this did not work on a jpeg image since it did not have any individual objects to select.

So I tried something new. I opened the file in Adobe Photoshop and used the lasso tool to select an area. Then I coped this area. Then I tried to paste it into Adobe Illustrator. But the background was not transparent for the pasted image.

How do I make the background transparent.

I made this small video to show what I am talking about:

My Ezvid Video - YouTube

I noticed that the background is a layer in the image I made in photoshop. I tried turning it off or making it invisible, but that did not help.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...ps0338ed4b.png

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...ps04ea33fd.png

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,383 Times in 1,763 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xarzu View Post
    How do I make the background transparent.
    There are lots of different ways to do this. Personally, I would choose either of the first two methods below since it will look better/sharper, although the third option is really easy too.

1. Recreate the Snowman buttons with the Pen tool. Tip: Hold down the left mouse button when creating the anchor points to create a curved line. [Illustrator]

2. Use the "Image trace" feature to convert each button from a bitmap image into a vector shape. [Illustrator]

3. Instead of pasting the button directly onto a white background in Photoshop, go to the Edit menu and select Paste Special Paste in Place. This should put the button onto its own layer with a transparent background. [Photoshop]

4. Create a layer mask to hide the background. [Photoshop]

5. Copy the button to a new layer, create a new layer style and then use the "Blend If" option to remove the background. Skip to 4:10 in the video below to see what I mean. [Photoshop]

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread