+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Web Development Thread, Web Matrix moving in Coding and Web Development; Hi All, Has anyone got any idea on this? Ive previously developed a website in Microsoft Webmatrix with everything stored ...
  1. #1
    hardtailstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,785
    Thank Post
    540
    Thanked 237 Times in 208 Posts
    Rep Power
    58

    Web Matrix moving

    Hi All,

    Has anyone got any idea on this?

    Ive previously developed a website in Microsoft Webmatrix with everything stored for the website saved on my shared drive. I installed web Matrix onto my C drive.

    Ive got a new computer and can see all the files and Ive just installed web matrix on my new computer.

    Now how do I access my website from the new installation of web matrix on my new computer?

    I tried searching google but it didn't come up with the answers I was looking for.

    Any ideas?

  2. #2

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,447
    Thank Post
    1,438
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Rep Power
    707
    When you load Web Matrix, go to "Open Site", then "Folder as Site." Select the root folder of your website and it should from then on show in "My Sites" in Web Matrix (this is using WM2, I suspect it'll be very similar in WM3)

  3. Thanks to LosOjos from:

    hardtailstar (14th November 2013)

  4. #3
    hardtailstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,785
    Thank Post
    540
    Thanked 237 Times in 208 Posts
    Rep Power
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    When you load Web Matrix, go to "Open Site", then "Folder as Site." Select the root folder of your website and it should from then on show in "My Sites" in Web Matrix (this is using WM2, I suspect it'll be very similar in WM3)
    Cheers,

    I now get this error when opening in IE

    "HTTP Error 403.14 - Forbidden

    The Web server is configured to not list the contents of this directory"

    any ideas?

    EDIT: I found a few things to try but if you have an idea let me know.

    Cheers
    Last edited by hardtailstar; 14th November 2013 at 11:48 AM.

  5. #4

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,447
    Thank Post
    1,438
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Rep Power
    707
    First thing to check is the permissions in web.config - it's an XML document in the root of your website, you can edit it in Web Matrix. There's a section called "authorization", check that. It works from the top down in precedence. For instance, here's mine, which denies unknown users (i.e. not logged in to our network), allows all AD users in the "Sims Staff" role plus the local admin user, and denies anybody else access.

    Code:
    <authorization>
        <deny users="?" />
        <allow roles="NETWORK\Sims Staff" />
        <allow users="DATA\Administrator" />
        <deny users="*" />
    </authorization>
    authorization Element (ASP.NET Settings Schema)

    EDIT: just though, is this a move to a new server? Have you configured IIS to pick up your index files? Sounds like it's missing your entry page as it's trying to load a file list.

    IIS_index.png
    Last edited by LosOjos; 14th November 2013 at 11:56 AM.

  6. Thanks to LosOjos from:

    hardtailstar (14th November 2013)

  7. #5
    hardtailstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,785
    Thank Post
    540
    Thanked 237 Times in 208 Posts
    Rep Power
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    First thing to check is the permissions in web.config - it's an XML document in the root of your website, you can edit it in Web Matrix. There's a section called "authorization", check that. It works from the top down in precedence. For instance, here's mine, which denies unknown users (i.e. not logged in to our network), allows all AD users in the "Sims Staff" role plus the local admin user, and denies anybody else access.

    Code:
    <authorization>
        <deny users="?" />
        <allow roles="NETWORK\Sims Staff" />
        <allow users="DATA\Administrator" />
        <deny users="*" />
    </authorization>
    authorization Element (ASP.NET Settings Schema)

    EDIT: just though, is this a move to a new server? Have you configured IIS to pick up your index files? Sounds like it's missing your entry page as it's trying to load a file list.

    IIS_index.png
    Thanks,

    Its a move to a new computer for Web matrix but all files were saved on my home drive saved on the server

  8. #6

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,447
    Thank Post
    1,438
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Rep Power
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailstar View Post
    Thanks,

    Its a move to a new computer for Web matrix but all files were saved on my home drive saved on the server
    If neither of the above ideas worked, it could be NTFS permissions. You say the files were on your home drive - are they locked to an AD account? Can you still open the files by manually clicking on them? Might be worth checking which permissions are required by whichever version of IIS you're using, there'll be a local user called IIS_WPG or similar that will need read & execute, list contents and read permissions for the directory. As it's a local account, these permissions will not have been automatically applied if you copied from a different machine.

    EDIT: should have said IIS_WPG, not IUSER_WEBSERVER - the latter is for guest accounts. You may need to enable access to both if you're not using AD authoring. Best to Google NTFS permissions for your version of IIS, I'm on IIS 6
    Last edited by LosOjos; 14th November 2013 at 12:30 PM.

  9. Thanks to LosOjos from:

    hardtailstar (14th November 2013)

  10. #7
    hardtailstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,785
    Thank Post
    540
    Thanked 237 Times in 208 Posts
    Rep Power
    58
    Thanks Ill give that a look!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22nd February 2011, 02:20 PM
  2. [ASP.net] Microsoft Web Matrix
    By EduTech in forum Web Development
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 3rd February 2011, 07:04 PM
  3. Content does not display after web server move.
    By Apokeylips in forum EduGeek Joomla 1.0 Package
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30th June 2010, 12:20 AM
  4. Good grief.. move to a new Web Host already
    By contink in forum Comments and Suggestions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 23rd September 2008, 11:07 PM
  5. Web traffic monitoring software.
    By Dos_Box in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 5th July 2005, 09:33 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •