+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Web Development Thread, RM Easylink - need to achive similar... how? in Coding and Web Development; SSLExplorer looks very good plexer. Do you use it? Just wondering how it performs. And can you upload files?...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: RM Easylink - need to achive similar... how?

SSLExplorer looks very good plexer. Do you use it? Just wondering how it performs. And can you upload files?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,706 Times in 1,519 Posts

Hi,

Unfortunately not been able to use at School due to our firewalled LEA VPN Wan setup. We use neoteris for remote access when they get it up and running.

I do have SSLExplorer installed on my home machine and a dyn dns alias so if I need any files I login to it via SSLExplorer, you can upload and download files as well as run terminal services and remote desktop via it.

Ben

Thank Post

Thanks Ashok for the info on Network places - don't think this will do the job. The solution has to be 'idiot proof' to allow students to use it. Additionally, I don't want to create training work for myself.

The VPN SSL solution that Plexer mentioned could be very good. I have seen these in action using Cisco gear and was very impressed. If I coul dget that to work - and integrate it into Active Directory to get usernames and passwords we could be onto a winner. Think I will investigate in the new year!

Steve

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,706 Times in 1,519 Posts

It supports active directory authentication out of the box, if I had the option to be able to use it I would as the current setup costs us £750 p/a.

Ben

Thank Post

Webdav publishing is native to Windows, is installed with a mouse click and uses native windows authentication.
    Use SSL and you can be accessing home areas and other files through a web browser easily.
    Most LEA's permit Port 443 inbound to a target webserver if setup correctly and doesn't normally need you to submit a DNA sample to the LEA's IT Dept in triplicate before your Broadband provisioning team can do it!

Using forms based authentication lets you script around the troublesome DOMAIN\username login dialog boxes.

Using ISA as an internal firewall allows routing to take place at application layer with a single sign-on thus specific servers can be targeted by url alone eg student.myschool.org uk can be routed to one server while staff.myschool.org.uk routes to another.
    Add to this access to the intranet and the .net sims data .....

Hey haven't we just invented the "E-Portal".....

Lets call it???? I know! "ClassServer" that sounds good.

LOL

Joking aside ISA2004 routes/publishes/redirects based upon virtually any combination of rules you can think of thats why it's the tool of choice for these remote access solutions in schools.

VPN don't even go there, even if you had the budget to ensure everyone who might want to use it can, the overhead will prove taxing for most school servers and once attached and authenticated that sixth formers home pc is now bound to your own lan subnet......

SSL and a web browser is secure from end to end without the need to "glue" some little oik's home computer to your lan and has to be the only way to some yourself from catching something nasty!

Terminal Services/Citrix is another way but even if you can afford the extra hardware what about the licensing costs!

One of the schools I look after had a couple of Uni Guys in on placement and they said "Why can't we let the kids use the PC's in the labs from home"
    Why not I said, we do it all the time using "Remote Web Workspace" which is a default part of IIS in Small Business Server.

By re-working this method we can extend this functionality to an entire school.

First kids log in to the school website https://myschool/remote from home.
    Then choose from the list of available workstations, login as usual with the same username/password then use your home areas and all of the curriculum software just as you do when at school all with the same level of control/logging/restriction as they do when they are at school.

We are piloting the asp's and components as we speak but I can assure you you won't find a cheaper and more simplified way of doing what you are trying to achieve.

Can't tell you anymore than that as we will be using the feature in our own products but Im sure it will give a few people some fresh ideas.

Geoff

Thank Post

Geoff (m25man)),

I agree with the webdav, i' not too sure of those products which sort of tunnels into your network using SSL and give a VPN kind of functionality. WebDav is like you say is the native comes with IIS can be used with the asp scripting to do remote access to files etc.

We have RM Easylink which uses this method so its definately doable. We are looking to provide SIMS.net access to some important users from home by allowing very very restrictive VPN but you mentioned about ISA server.

We have ISA server 2004 as our firewall and so far have been very impressed on what it can do which brings me to another point - you mentioned giving access to sims.net etc via isa server publishing - is this possible without VPN? I would be very much interested in any potential scenarios because then i can get around the VPN setup business.

Please keep me posted if you come up with any solution or potential idea.

Ashok.

Thank Post

Interesting...
    Anyone know of a way of getting a copy of 'Remote Web Workspace' without buying SBS? - Or of a way of getting forms based authentication working with standard Web Folders?
    I have got Wb Folders 'working' but the logins required are horrendous! There needs to be a single login and no domain required. Tricky...

Steve

Thank Post

Steve,

can't you hard code the netbios name of your domain in the scripts/html page?

The forms based authentication on our isa server has the same issue but it theres a fix on isaserver.org --->
    http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/C...on-Screen.html

RM has sort of encrypted the asp files so i can't really guide on how the code should like. If anyone got a asp file decrypter then please get back to me.

HTH,

Ashok.

Thank Post

Looks like ISA server is the best way to go - I have been toying with the idea of an ISA server for some time in order to get local loggin of internet access - currently all logs are held by the LEA.
    I use the Java tweek already on Exchange 2003 - if I can setup ISA to publish the student files and then use forms authentication that could be perfect.
    Time to get a quote for ISA 2004... the head's going to love this...

Steve

Thank Post

Hi Steve,

I've managed to decrypt the files from easylink so if you can make sense of it it may tell you how to open the window as a web folder.

Ashok.

Thank Post

Wow! Thanks Ashok. How did you manage to do that?
    Could you send the files over?

Steve

Thank Post

They're not encrypted anyway if you are looking at them locally on the server (i.e rather than through IIS). Bare in mind that that code is copywrite material too.

Thank Post

Hi Guys,

I used the Decrypter that Russel found, it is copyrighted material so please use to find out how you can open it as a web folder and create your own .asp files. Should give you some idea.

I can send other files but they are specific to the way rm easylink works so a lot of the code probably won't make sense.

Let me know how you get on.

Ashok.

Thank Post

Hi Steve/others,

I think this file will show you how to open the web folder files using the exploer kind of window.

Ashok.

Thank Post

Have a look at Precedence FileSurfer (www.precedence.co.uk), definately worth considering if you want to upgrade your proxy/web/email server as well, very good value and support

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast