+ Post New Thread
Web Development Thread, Web servers why is everybody using joomla in Coding and Web Development; I dont even know what its is fully guessing its some kind of prebuilt cms at a guess using php??????? ...
    Thank Post

Web servers why is everybody using joomla

I dont even know what its is fully guessing its some kind of prebuilt cms at a guess using php???????

just wondering why have you guyes gone down this root, does it work for you? much bother? how flexable?

this site i have almost finished is hosted on our own web server, wiht IIS on running asp, wiht simple sql databases. full self writen cms and site.

Thank Post

Re: Web servers why is everybody using joomla

Quote Originally Posted by gibbo_ap
    I dont even know what its is fully guessing its some kind of prebuilt cms at a guess using php???????
    Good guess! I guess some (most?) of us don't have the skills and/or time to construct our own from scratch - and why would you when there is a perfectly good one already made (OK I concede there could be many reasons why you would - but you get my point!)

I find it is very flexible and easy to use, in fact it was one of our teachers running it, with little to no prior web experience, until he left!

And also, check out SYSMAN's Edugeek/Joomla package!

Andy

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

CMS systems offer many advanced features over traditional file-based websites. CMSs allow non-technical people to update sections of the website and also via a web administration area so editors don't need physical access to the file store are of the web server.

Joomla is built using free software (PHP) which runs best on a free and open-source technology (Linux and Apache and MySQL).

I thought about writing my own CMS when I started our school website but thought, why re-invent the wheel? Website Baker is more than adequate for my needs.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,898 Posts
    Blog Entries

The reason I use Joomla - I have been using it since the early days of Mambo, and as such know it quite well. It is very configurable, it is secure, well maintained, has an active community for support and plugins and it requires zero work to maintain once the staff have all been shown how to use it.

I've looked at others, but they don't offer as good a package as joomla. And, even though I have written my own CMS in the past, I don't think it would be as good as joomla and I don't have time to improve it.

However, don't take my support as complete love of joomla - it has its problems (the 1.0 series has major validation issues for example, but can be overcome with a bit of work).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 992 Posts
    Blog Entries

There is also the support reason. Should you depart the school the site is almost effectively locked unless the person filling your post gets up to speed with it quickly. Joomla et al are designed so that the basics (and not so basics) can be done from the word go. Coupled with an effective support site (us or Joomla itself) they become very attractive propositions.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by gibbo_ap

just wondering why have you guyes gone down this root, does it work for you? much bother? how flexable?

this site i have almost finished is hosted on our own web server, wiht IIS on running asp, wiht simple sql databases. full self writen cms and site.
    You're site actually has the look and feel of an open-source cms based site.

It's a question of whatever takes your fancy. You're obviously competent in asp and html development, so you went down that route. I think however you implement your CMS - php, asp or joomla you should develop a distinct site-wide design.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread