+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Web Development Thread, Intranet pages.... in Coding and Web Development; I'm after creating a new intranet page, i want it to be as functional as possible, have the google search ...
    Thank Post

Intranet pages....

I'm after creating a new intranet page, i want it to be as functional as possible, have the google search bar on and I need space for 10 or so links to various things (ideally split into 3 sections or something) does anyone use an intranet page that looks somewhat similar already that i can use as a guide?

I'm not web designer by any means so i'm in need of examples so i have something to go off

Thank Post
    I have a single html page with a 3 by 2 table on it & a single bar underneath if that helps
    intranet.png
    Last edited by TechMonkey; 10th July 2013 at 09:47 AM.

3. Thanks to TechMonkey from:

mrbios (10th July 2013)

Thank Post
    We reskinned Dokuwiki and hid all the Wiki-ness. Backend's still there so it's trivial to maintain.

Thank Post
    I'm curious why you would want Google search bar when browsers have this functionality built in already? Unless there's a special reason I wouldn't bother with that.

Are you just looking to create a single page for your intranet with links to other sites or do you want to develop lots of pages? If it's just a single page a bit of basic html/css will do the trick.. If you want something more complex then using some kind of software framework should make life a lot easier down the road..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spadam View Post
    I'm curious why you would want Google search bar when browsers have this functionality built in already? Unless there's a special reason I wouldn't bother with that.

Are you just looking to create a single page for your intranet with links to other sites or do you want to develop lots of pages? If it's just a single page a bit of basic html/css will do the trick.. If you want something more complex then using some kind of software framework should make life a lot easier down the road..
    Simple reason: No one uses the one in the address bar or search box by the address bar

So many teacher seem to go to google, then type in the web address they're looking for, then click on the result. It's really frustrating and it seems many are stuck in their ways and won't be told!

Thank Post
    Fair enough.. Whether or not this solves that for you remains to be seen I suppose.

I'd say it's more of a training/coaching issue really but then you can only lead a horse to water after all.

Thank Post
    I use Google Sites as our schools landing page for staff. It is very easy to use and can have widgets and apps that link with school stuff. The staff can also access this from home so not strictly speaking an intranet but does keep everything consistent for them.

Thank Post
    This is our Staff intanet and they can see Servers that have user known functions on and we are currently working on a IT Support Intranet with all the servers on
    Also all of the Service Status Side bar is controlled VIA IP address so if a server is off the server and all of its services will turn red
    if a service stops the related service will show red and the server name will turn orange as a service is not working.
    intranet.JPG

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,201 Times in 814 Posts
    Although many a web designer/coder would shun it, if it's a one page basic site and you're not confident with CSS/HTML, just put something together in Dreamweaver/Frontpage...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spadam View Post
    We had to have a Google button on ours as people were how do we connect to the internet and stuff like that

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    We had to have a Google button on ours as people were how do we connect to the internet and stuff like that
    Exactly what we have at the moment

At one point we had a problem with our intranet site and clicking on the google link failed to load until you refreshed again....typically we get phone calls of "the internets down" *facepalm*

Thank Post
    we use wordpress and custom built widgets (PHP)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    I have a single html page with a 3 by 2 table on it & a single bar underneath if that helps
    intranet.png
    That doesn't look like tabular data to me…

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    We reskinned Dokuwiki and hid all the Wiki-ness. Backend's still there so it's trivial to maintain.
    MMM… wikis… (Although I'm more of a MediaWiki person tbh)

Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Although many a web designer/coder would shun it, if it's a one page basic site and you're not confident with CSS/HTML, just put something together in Dreamweaver/Frontpage...
    HTML/CSS is not hard once you start to play and there are plently of guides that will show you how to whip up a few divs and how to align them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,458 Times in 1,002 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ours is functional more than beautiful, but it's quick to load and easy to maintain.

intranet.png

Bit of JS to put the focus in the Google search field onLoad, so you can start typing as soon as the page loads. Google & Wikipedia logos link to the front page. They are redundant functionality, yes, but as others say - most people use Google as an address bar. If the intranet page goes down we get flooded with calls of "the internet is down!" and it takes ages to explain how to use the actual address bar.

I can send the HTML file over if you want.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p858snake View Post
    That doesn't look like tabular data to me…
    Considering I'm actually having a battle over whether or not to be allowed to have this and to get permission to implement the room booking system I wasn't greatly worried about following W3C conventions.

Any way, it's my data and I'll do what I want with it :P

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast