+ Post New Thread
Web Development Thread, CSS Books/Tutorials [Recommendations pls] in Coding and Web Development; This is a plea to anyone who has been around the block and would class themselves as an experienced/professional CSS ...
    Thank Post

CSS Books/Tutorials [Recommendations pls]

This is a plea to anyone who has been around the block and would class themselves as an experienced/professional CSS designed/coder.

I've started looking back over my knowledge/skills in this area and realised that I'm missing some very basic principles as well as good resources for dealing with the plethora of stupid standards avoiding cr*p IE7 has introduced.

At present I have both the Eric Meyer books but could really use something a little more reference based so I can look up specific issues and find solutions or explanations. A good all rounder wouldn't hurt too.

So, can anyone provide any useful book recommendations and/or resource sites that deal with the topic of CSS.

Thanks in advance..

Thank Post

Re: CSS Books/Tutorials [Recommendations pls]

Well I suppose I should have expected a null response as it's not really a web designer nirvana on here but having dipped into other forums and spoken to other individuals who've been there I have a few recommendations I can now pass on:

• Web Standards Solutions - The Markup and Style Handbook
      author: Dan Cederholm
    • Bulletproof Web Design
      author: Dan Cederholm

I've yet to go through my other book (The missing manual - CSS) but so far these two are absolute gems for someone like me who learned HTML, Javascript in the late 90's, early 2000's and then got caught up in all the PHP code and lost his way when CSS came out.

Both books are easy to read (180 pages today and I understand it all) and they don't make the mistake of trying to give you massive examples with so much code you get lost easily (unlike Eric Meyer) so you can follow what's changed and how. It's also a lot more up to date, sensible and doesn't make massive jumps in knowledge that some books do leaving you floundering.

In short, well recommended...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thanks for those contink

Thank Post

I have 2 books on CSS which I was given as presents:

1. The CSS Anthology (101 Essential Tips, Tricks and Hacks) Link
    2. Build your own website the right way using HTML and CSS. Link

Both are from SitePoint- they include source code throughout the book & downloadable. I really love the writing style of these books & have quite a number in my collection - including PHP books & Web design appearance books. They also offer an opportunity to download sample chapters of the books before you buy.

I taught myself CSS by taking myself down to the library of my old university - I would sit there, read through each chapter & type the code into my laptop (not using the downloadable code) - I learnt so much it's untrue.

Still do it to this day - when I get a chance.... about to learn more advanced PHP & thinking about doing a good testing project.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread