+ Post New Thread
Web Development Thread, Hosts file in Coding and Web Development; I am currently migrating a website to new hosting, and am using a hosts file edit to see the new ...
    Thank Post

Hosts file

I am currently migrating a website to new hosting, and am using a hosts file edit to see the new website using the same URL.

However, the staff here have continued to add to the website since the backup was taken, so I will have to do a bit of cross-referencing to add the extra articles. What I would like to know is if there is a simple way to bypass the line that redirects it in the hosts file without actually editing the file itself? I would need to be checking both the old and new sites repeatedly, so could do with being able to access both installs of the site concurrently.

Ideally I would like to have one browser open (say Firefox) with the new website in it, and one browser open (say IE) with the old website in it, so I can quickly copy and paste the newer articles across.

I don't really want to have to keep editing the hosts files to jump in and out of each website to copy and paste...

The only other thing Google has yielded so far is the idea of running virtual instances of Windows to do it - surely there has to be a less complicated way?

Does anyone have any experiences of doing this?

Thank Post
    Could you not just leave the live site alone and create the new site locally using something like apache friends - xampp

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rush_tech View Post
    Could you not just leave the live site alone and create the new site locally using something like apache friends - xampp
    Thanks for the response, although I think I'm past this point as I have the site already up on the new hosting, ready to have the extra articles added.

Ideally I just want to be able to access the two sites side by side if at all possible. I could still do it by logging into the old one and copy pasting batches of articles into Notepad, but I just thought it'd be a bit more convenient if there was a way to access them together and have them side by side to copy and paste. If there were a workaround where you could make one browser ignore the hosts file that'd be great, but I'm not sure if that's possible at this stage.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dpittaway View Post
    Thanks for the response, although I think I'm past this point as I have the site already up on the new hosting, ready to have the extra articles added.

Ideally I just want to be able to access the two sites side by side if at all possible. I could still do it by logging into the old one and copy pasting batches of articles into Notepad, but I just thought it'd be a bit more convenient if there was a way to access them together and have them side by side to copy and paste. If there were a workaround where you could make one browser ignore the hosts file that'd be great, but I'm not sure if that's possible at this stage.
    There is an add on for firefox that lets you use a different host file. I have it ob my work machine but can't remember the name of it..

Thank Post
    Can't you just remove the line in your hosts file and access the new website directly on the address of the new hosting?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stevehill06 View Post
    There is an add on for firefox that lets you use a different host file. I have it ob my work machine but can't remember the name of it..
    Interesting, sounds like it'd do the job... if you do come up with the name feel free to let me know.

I have done most of the articles just by copy-pasting into notepad. Luckily they were mostly just text.

Now to work on why JComments aren't transferring!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dpittaway View Post
    Interesting, sounds like it'd do the job... if you do come up with the name feel free to let me know.

I have done most of the articles just by copy-pasting into notepad. Luckily they were mostly just text.

Now to work on why JComments aren't transferring!
    @dpittaway sorry, I forgot about this! The plugin for FireFox is called Change Hosts
    Last edited by Devontechie; 10th July 2013 at 04:15 PM.

8. Thanks to Devontechie from:

dpittaway (10th July 2013)

Thank Post
    I use Host Switcher for Firefox which is very useful when using it with multiple sites.

10. Thanks to penfold_99 from:

dpittaway (10th July 2013)

Thank Post
    Nice one guys, I will check these out!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information