+ Post New Thread
Web Development Thread, Is Wordpress the best value for money for a new Primary School Website? in Coding and Web Development; ...

Thank Post

Is Wordpress the best value for money for a new Primary School Website?

I've made many Joomla sites in the old days on the back of @sysman great package that he did for us.

I've now got one school with a company built one and they can't upload videos. (without paying £1000 extra year on top of the £400 they pay already!)

Am i right in thinking that knocking up a CNSM hosted wordpress site is going to be the cheapeast/easiest solution to get them onto something that looks good and that teachers can easiliy uploads pics and videos to?

Simon

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Check how high CSNM can set the PHP upload limit (upload_max_filesize) - that will probably be the limiting factor for video uploads regardless of whether it's Joomla or Wordpress.

Thank Post
    Can they not set up a YouTube account and have the videos linked inline? That's what I do for a lot of my clients. A case of "why reinvent the wheel" - I mean, if they want space with their WordPress account to host their own videos, I can easily do that and sort it out, but when there are plugins to allow for YouTube to display inline, or even YouTube's own embed code, it would make sense to go down that line of things if the rest of the site is working (in a if it's not broke don't fix it kind of approach)

Thank Post
    Well Youtube is blocked in most of my schools so thats not an option really

Check how high CSNM can set the PHP upload limit (upload_max_filesize)
    Have you come across such a limit before?
    Simon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    Well Youtube is blocked in most of my schools so thats not an option really

Simon
    Could your schools (assuming most use either the CLEO Network or have their own filters in place) not get devolved filtering to allow the use of YouTube? It could even be done in conjunction with the NED Box (again, assuming your schools have it on the CLEO side) to then stop Pupils getting access to YouTube (or even certain members of staff, so it could be filtered down to just having one or two members of staff that update the site allowed access etc). Just a suggestion.

I mean, if the website needs redoing anyway, there are plenty of available options for WordPress to self host videos, it's just never going to be as great as how YouTube/Vimeo etc do it. Just thinking of ways that might be possible and not cost your schools extra money for the time being.

With regards to upload limits (only talking for my own experiences which aren't with CSNM), generally the limit will default to 2mb-10mb for uploads, to save abuse, many hosts will allow you to change this by popping a php.ini file in your public folder, but more and more I'm finding imposed upper limits on shared hosting (for instance, the datacentre I use has an upper limit of 200mb per file upload - either via script or FTP, but they do allow larger file hosting, you just have to know how to reconstruct files when uploaded). With dedicated servers and such though, it's not normally so much of an issue.

Thank Post
    One of the advantages of CSNM is Carl is pretty flexible if you ask him he will most likely set the limit to whatever you like (within reason).
    Last edited by mossj88; 29th April 2013 at 02:47 PM.

Thank Post
    Simon
    Yes, alot of hosting companies have a PHP upload limit.

If it is an upload size problem, you could put a php.ini file in with the following code to increase the upload limit.

upload_max_filesize = “xx”
    post_max_size = “xx”

Thank Post
    It could even be done in conjunction with the NED Box (again, assuming your schools have it on the CLEO side) to then stop Pupils getting access to YouTube (or even certain members of staff, so it could be filtered down to just having one or two members of staff that update the site allowed access etc).
    I'd forgotton that there was some method of doing that with the NEDs

Ta

I've never comes across this limit before as I upload using FTP

Simon

Thank Post
    I'd forgotton that there was some method of doing that with the NEDs

Ta

I've never comes across this limit before as I upload using FTP

Simon
    No worries. The only thing I've found with using the Active Directory Group Filtering is that the domains have to be to the second in time with the NED Boxes, else they don't like it (I've had a number of discussions with OCL about it) but when it works, it does work very well.

Thank Post
    We have a policy which allows access to the education channel on YouTube for pupils. I started a project to create a YouTube channel for our school with the intention of allowing access to that channel too and giving teachers accounts to upload suitable videos to our channel. Now superceded for the moment by using MyBigCampus to view YouTube videos in the classroom, but thought it might be an option for you.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread