+ Post New Thread
Web Development Thread, Problem with external website (htaccess help) in Coding and Web Development; Hello, Forgive me for sounding stupid in this but I am fairly new to the whole website process. I have ...

Thank Post

Problem with external website (htaccess help)

Hello,

Forgive me for sounding stupid in this but I am fairly new to the whole website process. I have been given the task to make our website accessible when on-site and off-site.

I installed WAMP to host the website as I have had a number of problems with IIS. Once I had installed that, I took the .jpa backup from the current website which only works from off-site (I do not actually build the website, we have a member of staff that does this all using Joomla) and used the Kickstart.php tool to restore it. The restoration process went very smoothly and once restored and I activated "Put Online" then everything seemed to work.

I installed it all onto Windows server 2008 R2 called CCAWEB and so if I am on site and go to http:\\ccaweb I get the website fully working as shown in the image.Working website.png

But as soon as I put the website public to be accessed through http:\\Welcome to the Coundon Court Website it doesn't work as shown in the image not working webiste.jpg and all the links refer back to http:\\localhost

Another thing I have noticed is that it runs OK from mobile devices and tablets.

I have played around as much as I could and from reading forums etc. I think it may be an issue with using .htaccess or config.php? But as I am inexperienced I don't know where to start with these files. If you need any files of me then just say, I am pulling my hair out over this. Any help is much appreciated.

Ross.

Thank Post
    Your Website works fine for me, are you using the same machine to view your local and offsite address'?
    You say it works fine from mobile too. I would suggest the problems you are having are actually local.

This may be a terminology thing but why does your current website only work "off site"? Do you have a hosting solution for your ("www.websiteaddress.com") or does this point to your WAMP installation?. If you do have a hosting solution do you not have internet available to certain desktops and want too replicate the site on a server you have locally?
    Last edited by Dodgex1; 8th March 2013 at 09:26 PM.

Thank Post
    Well bizarrely, the current website does exactly the same as the new website but internal. So internally, it reverts back to localhost. We did once have a WAMP website which was accessible both internally and externally. I thought it might be something to do with URL rewrite but got lost in my research.

We don't have a hosting solution, the coundoncourt.org points to the WAMP installation. We have the option of replicating the site twice but would rather just manage the one.

Thank Post
    Anyone help further on this? REALLY stuck

Thank Post
    I'm confused, does the "on-site" not have internet access? Why don't they just view the website just like everyone else?

Thank Post
    Both websites are hosted "on-site". My terminology might be a bit confusing and I apologize due to my lack of knowledge.

Anyway, I would like to host the site on one server so it can be accessed from off site and on site. Preferably on WAMP as IIS causes issues when updating some of the components in the Joomla site. But as soon as I point the domain name to the IP address of the new site then it shows like the second image in my first post with all links reverting back to localhost.

Thank Post
    I think this might be caused by Joomla as the configuration is likely set as an internal server, thus making the root URL localhost rather than your domain root. As you are using a managed CMS it's not really plausible to change the links manually. It's likely you'll find more answers on one of their support forums. You should explain your question more like:

"I am configuring an internal web server to host a Joomla website which I would like to make accessible online as well, however some resources/links are pointing to localhost which breaks the external access." ....etc. On-site and Off-site is a bit confusing.

8. Thanks to JJanisch from:

mcalpine89 (22nd March 2013)

Thank Post
    It may just be easier to set up your web server as an online server only, and then users can access it inside and outside of your network using the internet. If you wan't an 'intranet' on-site then I would create that separate to your main web page. You could even go as far as reading the RSS feed of your main website to display news on the internal website.

Thank Post
    Ok thanks for your advice!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread