+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Web Development Thread, Colour Switcher problem in Coding and Web Development; I've just installed the edugeek package and the installation seemed to go well, but when I try to click on ...

Thank Post

Colour Switcher problem

I've just installed the edugeek package and the installation seemed to go well, but when I try to click on the colour switcher boxes nothing happens. Firegug reports:

setActiveSyleSheet is not defined
    onclick(click clientX=0, clientY=0)

site located at http://www.meretest.org.uk

Any ideas of what I need to do to fix this? :?

Thank Post

Re: Colour Switcher problem

Either some of the files have not been FTP across correctly or not there at all , or it is a permissions, the links when highlighting them is a "#".

Try copying the whole folder structure again and checking the correct CHMOD permissions on all the required folders.

Thank Post

ok, ignore the "#" bit thats correct, but check the others.

Thank Post

Thanks Scot

I'm a bit reluctant to copy all files again as I've already started to make a few changes. Any ideas which files/folders in particular might need to be copied?

I've checked the permissions and sure enough the documents folder and all the stories subfolders have reset themselves back to read-only (the second time this has happened). After I change permissions all appears as it should but the next time I look it has reverted - aaargh! The first couple of times I did it with ftp (filezilla) and just now I tried it via Cpanel.

As I look now the folders appear to be writable again but the colour switcher still doesn't work.

Thanks for your help
    Carol

Thank Post

You could copy all the template folders across, this contains the colour swicthers

Thank Post

I've copied the template folders to the server again and double checked the permissions. Still got the same problem though

I think my next step is probably to disable the colour switcher and just hope that this problem is isolated rather than an indication of more trouble ahead with my installation.

Thanks for your advice Scot

Thank Post

You have a page error once the page has loaded, what version of MySQL and PHP are you using?, also have you got registered disabled or enabled?

Morning

You are the second person to have this error. My guess is the problem lies with the site host / server setup, or maybe your index.php. Have you edited this at all carolla?

Thank Post

Hi Scot - PHP version is 4.4.6 and MySQL is 4.1.21 - standard. I'm not sure what you mean by registered on or off (sorry to be so dumb but I'm new to Joomla/PHP/mySQL).

Hi Sysman - I haven't edited the index.php but I have edited the rg_emulation setting in globals.php. Should I be doing something to the index.php?

The thing that's started to worry me is that the folders I made writeable (as per edugeek template instructions) are once again set to 755 (they were 777). As this as already happened a few times, I checked back yesterday after changing the settings the day before and all looked fine - but now its reverted again! What's going on???

I'm trying to set this website up during my holdays as there's never any time during term time. I chose Joomla thinking that it might be an easier option but I'm starting to think I'm out of my depth.

Any pointers very much appreciated

Thank Post

Once you have set the correct read/write permissions on the folder it should not change, sounds like a host space issue with that.

Once logged in to administration section, at the bottom right you may have a red box containing the following:

"Following PHP Server Settings are not optimal for Security and it is recommended to change them:

PHP register_globals setting is `ON` instead of `OFF`
    Joomla! RG_EMULATION setting is `ON` instead of `OFF` in file globals.php
    `ON` by default for compatibility reasons "

Again, looking at the error on the status bar at the bottom when your page loads, I reckon there is an problem with the hosting space, either needs an upgrade of something on the server side, or an incompatibilty somewhere. Whos it hosted with?

Thank Post

> the folders I made writeable (as per edugeek template instructions) are
    > once again set to 755 (they were 777). As this as already happened a
    > few times, I checked back yesterday after changing the settings the day
    > before and all looked fine - but now its reverted again! What's going on???

Many hosts don't allow 777 permissions for security reasons. However, if your host is running the SUEXEC php module, then 777 permissions are not necessary. Hopefully it is SUEXEC that is chmodding them back to 755 automatically; I think it probably is. If it isn't then you'll need to find another host, because most CMS require a couple of writable folders.

> I'm trying to set this website up during my holdays

Setting up is the easy part if you are not trying to change the theme and layout too much (and I have to say that Joomla is not the friendliest CMS to hack), but it will still take several weeks. Expect up to two or three years before you have a bug-free, content rich, vibrant, established website community, if you can only spare a couple of hours a week and you are the main person adding content.

Thank Post

Scott - think I'm with you now about registered on or off - I turned the rg_emulation to off as the installation routine and Joomla website seems to recommend. Could this be why the switcher doesn't work?

Anti - it's hosted with 5 quid host, this won't be the final host for the website (the domain is also temproray) but rather something I've set up off my own back so that I could develop it over the holiday. I'll contact them and ask them about SUEXEC and see if they can shed any light on the problems I'm having.

Thanks guys it's really good to know you're out there

The colour switcher is just a piece of Java Script and not part of the Joomla Core.

I am betting it is a hosting problem. Carolla have you thought about using a WAMP package to develop your site offline? Would give you much more control while you get to grip with things

Thank Post

Ok I think I'm all sorted now

First, the folder permissions are because of SUEXEC (thanks Anti) - 5 quid host confirmed this is being reset automatically and assured me that I don't nedd 777 permissions.

Second, the Colour Switcher wasn't working because I appear to have FTP'd in non-binary mode and this stripped all of the line break and carriage return characters from the .js file - (the help desk at 5 quid host discovered this - respect!)

Sysman - I did originally start to develop using WAMP but decided to swap to a web setup so that I could make sure it was all working in a real online environment. It also means that I can get other interested parties to check things as they go up.

Thanks to everyone for your advice - a lifeline!
    I'm off to Exmoor for the weekend so next week is a fresh start!!

Glad you have got it sorted Carolla. Enjoy your trip.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast