+ Post New Thread
Web Development Thread, Examples of school websites made with blogger in Coding and Web Development; Hi All Been scouring the forums but cant find any obvious threads. I know some people have built school websites ...
    Thank Post

Examples of school websites made with blogger

Hi All

Been scouring the forums but cant find any obvious threads.

I know some people have built school websites with blogger but cant seem to find any examples. Also I know wordpress and joomla are much better CMS but because we have a google domain it is very easy for us to set it up through blogger. Any examples of websites made through blogger would be very much appreciated, or links to threads which I cant find. Cheers all

Thank Post
    In truth, I can't say I'd recommend using blogger for a school website. It's just not a very flexible platform, unlike wordpress or joomla. You'd be much better off investing the time & effort into using a proper CMS.

3. Thanks to crutchfieldj from:

titch (14th September 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's possible, for sure.

You can do some amazing things with Blogger : The Confluent Forms blog

You might want to look in here for templates. Many of them look very templatey, but hey, they're free.
    http://btemplates.com/
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 14th September 2012 at 11:40 AM.

5. Thanks to jinnantonnixx from:

titch (14th September 2012)

Thank Post
    Thank you for linking to my article and my company's work!

I don't see why you couldn't use Blogger, but it all depends on your site's technical requirements. Please contact me, would love to discuss!

David

Example of ours on Blogger:

Www.concentricsrestaurants.com
    Www.pinchgallery.com
    Www.renewpilates.com
    www.odeboutique.com
    Last edited by Dkutcher; 17th September 2012 at 12:37 PM.

7. Thanks to Dkutcher from:

titch (18th September 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 748 Posts
    @titch:

Have you had a look at this: Open Source Content Management System - Open Source CMS - CMS PHP - CMS Made Simple

Its what we use to get this:Welcome to Bishop Barrington School. Bishop Auckland in County Durham.

Just thought that you might want to have a look

9. Thanks to bossman from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,640 Times in 1,097 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @bossman I am looking at alternatives to joomla for a new website I am about to start - what made you choose that over joomla or wordpress or the other 'big' cms?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 748 Posts
    @sparkeh:

It was a legacy from @webman, his interpretation was it's ease of use and it's simplicity in setting up but also it's versatility in being just right for the job and as you can see our ethics of no more than 2 clicks on any page for the information you require really works a treat don't you think,

Nothing worse than having to search for everything and not finding them!

Thank Post
    We use joomla for our main website, and I keep a Google site as an internal landing page for our computers with links to email, gradebook, helpdesk etc.
    If you want to stick with Google, I think Google sites would provide a bit more flexibility than blogger.

13. Thanks to ADMaster from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    @bossman I am looking at alternatives to joomla for a new website I am about to start - what made you choose that over joomla or wordpress or the other 'big' cms?
    Pretty much everything that bossman said Specifically, the ListIt module was very useful for building the site. It essentially allows you to create lists of things - you define what fields things have, what categories they belong to, and set the template used to display the summary/detailed views of said items. I used it for the staff list, virtual tour, policies/downloads, front page featured items/links and vacancies. It's quite versatile and powerful.

CMSMS also has a nice image module (CGSmartImage) which can both resize and crop on-the-fly - which is a brilliant thing to have. You can just throw whatever file of whatever size at it, and always have a decent-looking version outputted on the front end. It will cache the generated images too, so you don't have the processing overhead on each request.

The architecture of it also MVC and easily extensible. Templates and custom content blocks all editable via the CMS. If you've ever tried hacking your way through a WordPress theme, you'll wonder why you've never used something as simple as this before. IMO, WordPress hasn't aged nicely at all, and can be quite tricky to bash into the shape you want it to be.

I've developed about 4-5 sites in CMSMS now, and for those, CMSMS has been a great fit for the project in hand. If you have any more questions just ask

(Incidentally, at work, we've just replaced a Joomla site with a CMSMS one )

15. 3 Thanks to webman:

bossman (26th September 2012), jinnantonnixx (27th September 2012), sparkeh (26th September 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread