Google Apps and Active Directory integration - help before it drives me mad!
So we're generally fed up of Fronter and the lack of decent support and are looking at alternatives. A school i went on a little visit to recently is using Google Apps and are loving it. I thought we'd have a look to to see ifs for us. Part of the requirements for us is that it links to another system for user creation etc, so that we don't have another system to maintain in parallel.
So i found the Google Apps Directory Sync application and started filling in details. Didn't get very far as the ldap connection will not work. I've tried all manner of combinations of distinguished name for the server and login account, and have tried the normal AD port for communications and the Global Catalogue port while pointed at the relevant server, all to no avail. The specific error appears to be generated by the java library they're using to make the connection and complains about being unable to bind - this suggests the user details are at fault, but not sure what else to try that doesn't involve a hammer.
The specific error message is as follows:
Error: Connection failed
Exception: javax.naming.NamingException: [LDAP: error code 1 - 00000000: LdapErr: DSID-0C090627, comment: In order to perform this operation a successful bind must be completed on the connection., data 0, vece
Further info: I did try using ADAM on another machine to supply a 'flattened' version with anonymous access enabled, but data extraction problems still abound, even if the connection initially worked...