sharepoint - My classes
I need the help of anyone that uses sharepoint and the sharepoint mlg kits. I understand sharepoint and i've gotten quite far with its development but i'm up to a point were i need to be able to -
1 - make the class's, do i need to make these manually? can they just be picked up from cmis?
2 - show attendance and certain details from cmis. how is this done?
I'm not sure about the "My Classes" part, but i believe you create a class site for every class, and then the students in that class are put in the learners group for that class, and staff member as instructor. i believe this has to be done manually but dont quote me on it.
The CMIS Webparts i believe are your answer to the attendance.
I'm at the point where i kind of know what to do i.e. how to make the class sites and then assign them but surely there is an easier way to do this or an automatic way to do this other wise there is going to be a lot of pages i will need to create. Also where do i get cmis webparts from? i don't know where to start with the cmis part
Oh right sorry mis-understood my bad, i dont know of an easier way but hey someone might.
Are you using SPD to create the sites? or are you doing it via sharepoint itself?
as for the webparts, speak to capita and i am sure they will be able to give you a quote for the webparts. we use sims so i have no expeirence with the CMIS webparts.
I'm the co-ordinator for the MLG and SLK projects on codeplex. You've got a few options for the class sites.
1. Create them manually as an admin function. Short term this can work if you've only got a limited number of people using SLK as a test, longer term doesn't really work.
2. Give the teachers permissions to create the sites themselves. This won't help with user adoption though as it just places obstacles in the way of getting it used.
3. Within the SLK source code there is a sample for provisioning from an Excel spreadsheet. It's very basic, but hopefully should still work. It would be a one off process so wouldn't maintain the sites. I must admit I haven't looked at this bit for a long time, so can't guarantee it still works.
4. Buy a provisioning tool.:spam1:
5. Write your own tool. The SharePoint SDK is freely available.
For web parts there's 2 options that I know about:
1. The Serco ones. However, I don't think that they are moving forward with them.
2. The Twynham/SalamanderSoft ones.:spam1:
SalamanderSoft Limited (AD/SharePoint/Moodle provisioning, SharePoint web parts)
the mlg kit from codeplex doesnt come with any provisioning tools to help with the creation of the class sites.
Salamandersoft are a good company who have a few tools that will help with you and might be able to help with some CMIS data integration as well
I think i'll have to have a look at salamder.
rpwillis what provisioning tool are there?
Oh Bugger! sorry richard i totally forgot that you did all of that
yes jason definitley give richard a call/email slamandersoft are a great company and are someone we're going to be using during our next phase of development.
*I'll go and get some caffeine* :getmecoat:
ok i'll e-mail them as the web site confuses me :)
There's mine of course :)
Originally Posted by jason2234
The other's I know exist are Tools 4 Ever and IT Worx's Catalyst.
I was just about to recommend you. We use your stuff via LP+ and it works very well.
Originally Posted by rpwillis