+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Office 365 Moodle Auth in Technical; So I believe there is a plugin for moodle 1.9 and 2.1 that allows you to use liveid to authenticate ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,406 Posts

Office 365 Moodle Auth

So I believe there is a plugin for moodle 1.9 and 2.1 that allows you to use liveid to authenticate your users into moodle and to integrate email and calendaring into a moodle block.

What's the score with Office 365 and Moodle 2.3?

Ben

Thank Post
    Nothing at the moment, Microsoft prefer you to get a portal that provides SSO into Moodle \ 365 but there's no way to pick up the email or file repositories inside of the VLE

I'm hoping that some Moodle developers can get together and create an ADFS auth plugin for Moodle instead of LDAP... would be great for hosted sites as you don't need to open up LDAP to the Internet plus you'd be able to jump between Moodle and 365 at will. Then what you'd need is a Sharepoint repository and you could pull in documents you've made in 365 to be used in Moodle assignments etc.

Will it happen? Doubt it from Microsoft's side as it seems like they're trying to push people onto Sharepoint as a VLE alternative but I for one won't be dropping Moodle anytime soon...

Post on here and see if we can get some momentum going on this

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=202217

3. Thanks to gshaw from:

plexer (18th July 2012)

Thank Post
    I did ask at a recent MS event about this and they did claim to still be keen on developing links with Office 365 and Moodle, similar to the Live@edu one

Thank Post
    I'd love to see a 365 \ Moodle plugin but not getting my hopes up at the moment after the 2.x version of the Live@Edu block had to be taken up by Moodlerooms (and looks a bit half baked from my testing sadly)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,406 Posts
    We tried to install the live@edu block on a moodle 2.3 install earlier in the week and that didn't work.

I've been told by the person that I am liasing with that MS had also mentioned to her that they would support Office 365 & Moodle, now waiting to here back to see if she can dig up anymore info on this.

Ben

Thank Post
    I think it is in the process, I know Frog are doing it too.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    We tried to install the live@edu block on a moodle 2.3 install earlier in the week and that didn't work.

I've been told by the person that I am liasing with that MS had also mentioned to her that they would support Office 365 & Moodle, now waiting to here back to see if she can dig up anymore info on this.

Ben
    Hmmm that's two now so time to pester them a bit more next time I get a chance

What happened with the Live@Edu block on 2.3? I found a couple of bugs in the 2.x version...
    • settings page doesn't save impersonation account details
    • if you put the block in a course page it breaks Moodle drag & drop (AJAX conflict?)
    • logout page text is really badly worded and formatted
    • can't change the appearance of the login screen (own logo \ colour scheme)

No point working with the Live@Edu block now anyway, we're going back to a standard auth method until something comes out for 365. If MS do support 365 with Moodle it needs to use the standard Moodle authentication plugin system as the Live@Edu method was a bit clunky tbh.

Thank Post
    The problem with the block is it takes over as the primary authentication module within Moodle so no more AD/LDAP auth.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread