+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Real Mahara installs without tumbleweeds? in Technical; Perusing Mahara.org's linked examples, I see either broken links, abandoned sites full of comment spam, setups by dedicated Mahara evangelists* ...

Thank Post

Real Mahara installs without tumbleweeds?

Perusing Mahara.org's linked examples, I see either broken links, abandoned sites full of comment spam, setups by dedicated Mahara evangelists* or "hey you need to login". Of the ones that do appear to be using it well, they're usually evangelists for the product/e-learning rather than teachers.

Has anyone found good examples of normal schools using Mahara with content being regularly created by teachers and students?

And if anyone would care to comment on code quality (with say Moodle as a baseline), that'd be good too.

*I have nothing against people enthusiastic about "X", but if you're paid to do nothing but "X", your version of "X" will be disproportionately awesome compared to somewhere without a dedicated person.

Thank Post
    And if anyone would care to comment on portability of ePortfolios, that'd be handy - the whole idea of it following the student throughout their education breaks down a bit when I disable and then delete their accounts at the end of 7 years.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Mahara ties into moodle quite well - fairly straight forward to setup and working but not sure on the end user side as I don't think they ever used it!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Mahara ties into moodle quite well - fairly straight forward to setup and working but not sure on the end user side as I don't think they ever used it!
    This is unfortunately what I'm seeing. Lots of fabulous sites by Uni's with the budget to employ a Mahara herder and companies/organisations selling services around Mahara, but not a lot of real-world secondary school level examples.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    This is unfortunately what I'm seeing. Lots of fabulous sites by Uni's with the budget to employ a Mahara herder and companies/organisations selling services around Mahara, but not a lot of real-world secondary school level examples.
    Have you spoken to luns? I'm fairly sure they do lots of work with mahara and could point you in the right direction of somebody using it?

Thank Post
    We are a sixth form college who have been using Mahara for 3 years now in Visual and Performing Arts, Media and also for EPQ (Extended project qualification) It's a great piece of software provided you have a clear definition of what you want to do with it. The most important thing to recognise it that you shouldn't consider it an alternative to a learning platform such as moodle. Mahara is student owned/centred learning, Moodle is teacher lead. What are thinking about using it for? Drop me a line if you want more details about how we use it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by barney View Post
    We are a sixth form college who have been using Mahara for 3 years now in Visual and Performing Arts, Media and also for EPQ (Extended project qualification) It's a great piece of software provided you have a clear definition of what you want to do with it. The most important thing to recognise it that you shouldn't consider it an alternative to a learning platform such as moodle. Mahara is student owned/centred learning, Moodle is teacher lead. What are thinking about using it for? Drop me a line if you want more details about how we use it.
    Some of my lot are looking at it and when I've asked them "ok, what're you going to use it for?" they wibble a bit and go "Er..........".

Hence asking for examples. Will PM you.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread