+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Existing AD-Linked Moodle and Google Apps integration - how much of a pig? in Technical; So my suggestion of several years ago has apparently lurched zombie-like to the front of certain people's brains.] We have ...

Thank Post

Existing AD-Linked Moodle and Google Apps integration - how much of a pig?

So my suggestion of several years ago has apparently lurched zombie-like to the front of certain people's brains.]

We have an existing AD-linked Moodle install, populated with 1,100 users. From what I've read around here is it's something of a pig to then tie Google Apps into that if you didn't do it before account creation.

Question is, how much of a pig? Piglet, Wild Boar or somewhere in between?

I'm leaning towards simply linking Google Apps to AD for simplicity, however Moodle integration would give them a means of accessing the N: drives in-school (or at least taking things from them and slinging them into Google Apps while at home).

Thank Post
    @pete,
    I am unclear on how you want to link them. In my case I have Moodle using ldap authentication which is AD and I use Google App Directory Sync to create an sync AD users to Google Apps.
    In this setup my users have the same username and password for their computers, Moodle, and Google.
    I think you referring to some SSO option, honestly I didnít explore it that much when I setup. Our power company is not reliable and I didnít want users to not have access to their mail if some internal SSO server was down, thatís why I stuck with separate ldap links.

Hope this helps

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    For linking accounts, you are better of with linking them both to AD. Google apps is really easy to link with AD, so is Moodle.
    For SSO:

We did it initially with the moodle rooms plugin for 1.9. (piglet) I don't know if it works with 2.2 these days? it didn't 12months ago when I looked at it. I've also done a shibboleth authentication - wild boar. We currently use a commercial solution from SAML 2.0 and SAML 1.1 SSO Products - SSO Easy
    THe tech help from them was great.

Thank Post
    I forgot to mention that another reason we didn't go with SSO is our users use IMAP on their phones and such. @CyberNerd correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of SSO is that you would need to manually set a password for those that want to use IMAP. Also that password is not linked to AD in any way. Is this correct?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    Thats correct. The SSO easy software has a mechanism to set the external password via a web interface if you need mobile or imap access

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread