+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, sorry another moodle question! in Technical; Under pressure from smt to include more interactive 'things' on school website - I host the school site with supa ...
    Thank Post

sorry another moodle question!

Under pressure from smt to include more interactive 'things' on school website - I host the school site with supa names but am going to go with LEA broadband free hosting so I can include videos etc. (can't do this on supa names only got bog standard package)
    Our lea is running pilots for vles but these will cost after the first year, so I suggested moodle. Looked through all info and this forum but am unsure how I am going to host it. We have one server and no spare equipment to set anything else up - is it feasible to host it on our school website when I move it to the lea braodband hosting? What does anyone else do?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: sorry another moodle question!

Moodle recommend a dedicated server once things get going. We run it on our emal server plus the LA schools web server (80 schools) with one other school running moodle as well without any noticable performance problems. Currently we have one very keen teacher user using it with all his classes.

Oh yes and we have a shared purpose built WAMP server paid for out of 14-19 money shared between 16 institutions - no one using that. :P

kerrymoralee9280

If your SMT are keen to introduce a VLE then they should be keen to introduce a new server. It's just part of the parcel, and essential to get things running smoothly.

You can host your own website very easily and for next to nothing. All you need is a box, can even be an old workstation. Get the LEA to give you a static IP and forward it to this box. I use IIS 6 for our sites at school, but if you can't afford a Server license there's plenty of free capable OS's out there to get you going.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Linux is far better for running moodle (php/mysql) sites. Ubuntu server - very easy to set up.

kerrymoralee9280

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    Ubuntu server - very easy to set up.
    Is that not again, a matter of opinion. I much prefer installing 2003 with IIS6 and find it easier.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by kerrymoralee9280
    Linux is far better for running moodle (php/mysql) sites. Ubuntu server - very easy to set up.
    Is that not again, a matter of opinion. I much prefer installing 2003 with IIS6 and find it easier.
    It is not a matter of opinion about the performance, moodle on *nix will run better than on windows once it gets under real load. Your preference is about comfort of use, not performance.

kerrymoralee9280

Sorry, but the full quote in..... I have edited it to show what I meant was a matter of opinion.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Well it's a fact that it's easy to set up - I wasn't comparing it to anything. And why use windows when linux does the job better? (that's a fact too )

Thank Post

Only trouble is I don't have any spare equipment or network points anywhere in school to run moodle. Mark - you say that the LA runs it on the schools web server so effectively they're hosting it for you. Sorry to be so dim!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Only trouble is I don't have any spare equipment or network points anywhere in school to run moodle.
    Ugh, I think the SMT need to reconsider exactly where your time and there money is spent then.

you say that the LA runs it on the schools web server so effectively they're hosting it for you. Sorry to be so dim!
    Most LA's offer this sort of service. Is this not an option for you?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yes chrbb - we have 3 moodle installs, and yes the LA hosts one - they don't mind us using the LA schs web server for anything we like - all secondaries and all primaries have web spece on there.

So are you saying the LA webspace (broadband?) is free for the sch to use?

Thank Post

yes it's free, but the lea are running pilot schemes for the vle's of their choice free for the first year then £££ after that, so wether they would host moodle as part of our website I need to find out.

kerrymoralee9280

And why use windows when linux does the job better?
    Because I choose what I prefer, and I prefer Windows. I'm paid to manage all this hardware, so why would I install something that I'm not confident in using?????!!!!!! Because at the end of the day, if Server 2003 failed for some reason (yes I'm sure it WILL fail according to you) I know what I'm doing to pull it back from the grave. If Linux died I wouldn't know where to start quite frankly.

So as I say, it's all about preferences, and I prefer Microsoft.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

My only concern with that viewpoint is that you are excluding yourself and your school from a lot of very capable software.

Thank Post

I do agree with kerrymoralee9280. You have to be comfortable running and support servers. A VLE is now classed in a lot of schools as mission critical. You need to be happy supporting the base OS.

In a straight fight on performance Moodle on *nix wins however if it is then down for a week at the first sign of issues then..................

The learning curve to support *nix web servers is however not that steep so I would suggest that looking into *nix as a web platform is a good investment in time and effort.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast