+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, CC4 + LPPLUS4 + Office 2010: Issues editing Office Documents in Technical; (My first proper post, yey!) CC4 + LPPLUS4 + Office 2010: Issues editing Office Documents We are using a RM ...

Thank Post

Question CC4 + LPPLUS4 + Office 2010: Issues editing Office Documents

(My first proper post, yey!)

CC4 + LPPLUS4 + Office 2010: Issues editing Office Documents

We are using a RM CC4.3 network, with workstations running Windows 7 SP1, IE9 & Office 2010 SP1 Pro. We also use LPPLUS as our Learning Portal provider. Over Easter they upgraded from SharePoint 2007 to SharePoint 2010, moving from LP+3 to LP+4.
    Ever since that migration my staff have been having problems editing any Office Documents that have been uploaded to Document Libraries, hosted on LP+4. A user can logon as either a Private or Public logon. When any user (student/student/systemadmin) logs on as a Private logon and tries to edit a Office Document by selecting EDIT IN MICROSFT WORD(or EXCEL), the document always opens in read only mode and the Document can't be edited.

The problem only occurs on the network, doing the same on a home computer running the same software does not cause the issue. Therefore it must be related to GPO settings.

RM are looking into it and after a Google search brought up the option of installing a MS update KB907306 we thought we had a solution as this seemed to fix the problem on stations it was installed to.

However, the problem has returned on stations previously working and nothing has really altered on the stations to cause this that we can tell. No updates, nothing.

Any ideas? Anyone come across this issue?
    Last edited by steven_layton_sl; 4th May 2012 at 05:48 PM.

Thank Post
    OK, so, Using Firefox on a station doesn't have the same issues. I have my temporary workaround. Now just to work out whats happening!

Thank Post
    Hi Steve

Im sorry to hear that you feel we are not concerned about your issues on CC4, but can assure you that is definitely not the case. Im aware you have already spoken to our support desk and we have already asked you to perform some troubleshooting, and hope you appreciate that we do not have access to your school's CC4 network for us to give you any definitive answers.

As requested please can you request from RM to check the internal group policy setup for IE and provide LP+ with the results, also please contact the Support Desk again and request to speak to the Support Manager who can assist further.

thank you
    LP+ Support

Thank Post
    LP+ Support
    I've edited my origional post as it was probably written in frustration, sorry.
    Agree you don't have access to our CC4 network.
    With a work around in place, I will continue to press RM for a solution linked to GP settings and will call LP+ support again on Tuesday.

Thank Post
    Hi Steve,

My name is Gordon Stewart and I manage the Network Support team at RM. I'm sorry to hear of the issues you are facing, please rest assured that we committed to getting you to a resolution. I've been in contact with LP+ support and also the RM engineer owning your call. We will contact you today to discuss the GPO settings further.

Regards,
    Gordon

Thank Post
    After some good work from RM and LP+, the origional problem is now resolved. Unfortunatly I've had to re-open the support call as the ability to open Document Libraries in Windows Explorer mode has been lost.

This problem has previously been resolved via a reg frag, as by default on an RM network the WebClient service is disabled.

This service is still running, but the ability to open Document Libraries in Windows Explorer mode isn't working, giving the message "Your client does not support opening this list with Windows Explorer", even though I'm running Windows 7 Enterprise.

Thank Post
    Hi Steve,

I'm glad that we resolved the issue between us. I see your other call is open re the above and Greg is working with you on this.

If I can be of any further assistance please PM me and I'll be happy to help.

Kind regards,
    Gordon

Thank Post
    Hi Steve,

believe the issue could be related to the WebClient service on your machine. Most likely set to Manual. We will mail you through a few things to try on a test machine to see if this works.

thanks
    LP+ Support

Thank Post
    No, the WebClient service isset to automatic and has started.

I think I have 'fixed' the issue, but its a bit of a rough fix. I have removed the proxy bypass from the Internet Settings for users and instead added the LP+ URL to the Auth Bypass on our Smoothwall filtering.

It doesn't seem to have re-caused the Public Vs. Private issue again, and it has fixed the Document Libraries opening in Windows Explorer.

I've tested with a few SystemAdmni users and a single member of staff, but as its 3.30 on a Friday I can't find any other staff to test this with.

The settings I have changed will take effect when everyone logs on on Monday. I'll test and confirm then.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread