+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, WebAnywhere and Overnet Data SIMS.net integration email in Technical; Overnight, it seems Overnet Data, the people who do the MIS integration for WebAnywhere Moodle installations have sent out the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries

WebAnywhere and Overnet Data SIMS.net integration email

Overnight, it seems Overnet Data, the people who do the MIS integration for WebAnywhere Moodle installations have sent out the following email to each customer. Seems that WebAnywhere has annoyed them enough to basically terminate their agreement with the company, and force their users to choose between WebAnywhere and Overnet. Anyone else had this?

Hello,We're Overnet Data, we supply and manage your Moodle and/or SIMS/CMIS integration system via Web Anywhere.
    You may have seen our logo on your Moodle, or talked with Claudio or Guy at our end, but may not otherwise know us. We typically sit in the background designing and developing all the software and technology which makes sure that your Moodle does what you want it to do, and it all runs smoothly & safely at the operational level.
    Until very recently we exclusively supplied our unique technology to Web Anywhere. Sadly, the nature of this relationship changed when we discovered that Web Anywhere were trying to develop similar technology.
    As a school currently using our Moodle and/or integration service/s on either Moodle 1.9 or Moodle 2, we wanted to explain what this means to you going forward. So here goes..
    Firstly, we want to reassure you that, despite our issues with Web Anywhere, we will continue to fulfil our obligations to you in full until the end of your contract.
    In practice, this means everything stays the same in terms of your system and system usage.
    You do not have to do anything or change anything until the end of your existing contract.
    At the end of your contract, you have a choice:
    • you can remain with us and switch your system (without any service interruption) to an alternative Moodle Partner of your choice, or
    • you can have your Overnet Data Moodle/integration disabled. Web Anywhere may then install their alternative system and transfer your data. This would then be managed by them.
    Mid contract, Web Anywhere may ask to re-install your Moodle server. Please be aware that this is not strictly necessary and that we will be happy to continue hosting and supporting your Moodle and integration solution. Also, if you would like to migrate to Moodle 2 from Moodle 1.9 we can offer you this service.
    N.B. This applies to all schools including those on-site schools currently running Moodle 1.9 and Moodle 2 in parallel for testing purposes prior to fully upgrading up to Moodle 2.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,399 Times in 962 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Had it as well. We've got about a year and a half left on our contract but I am rather concerned that our options are a) switch to new WebAnywhere system, which will be full of bugs as a newer system and also just be different and thus upsetting to staff or b) switch to alternative partner and get into lots of fighting about server ownership and blah blah blah.

TBH, rather concerned at the way WebAnywhere is headed - becoming much more corporate, target-driven, profit-at-all-costs rather than the more laid back and responsive company they were a couple of years ago. Schools are not business, and the businesses that deal with us have to act like us as well.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We've been aware of this for some time and have already long gotten rid of any links/ties to WebAnywhere. The easiest way to look at it is that WebAnywhere is technically incompetant (they are salespeople) and Overnet have the guys actually capable. They've had some spat so as a result have parted ways. It's a very frank and blunt way of looking at it but we've thoroughly enjoyed speaking with and helping the guys at Overnet. (and receiving their help of course)

For note, we host our own Moodle server. WebAnywhere have a box installed entirely for SIMS integration.
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 9th February 2012 at 08:48 AM.

Thank Post
    Hmmm I didn't get this E-mail from them and they manage our Moodle server. We were looking at building up our own but with little experience in this area I can see it been a pain in the butt.

Thank Post
    ahh forget that we did get the email but we don't have it integrated into our SIMS.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Good Job I chose not to go with them last week then!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnykewell1 View Post
    Hmmm I didn't get this E-mail from them and they manage our Moodle server. We were looking at building up our own but with little experience in this area I can see it been a pain in the butt.
    A touch off topic
    @kmount Is pretty good with Moodle and may be able to help. Or I'm starting to get to grips with the server side stuff of it if you need a hand

Thank Post
    If anyone is looking for alternative SIMS/Moodle integration systems I can recommend SchoolsICT and their ZiLink product (ZiLink | enabling 21st century learning). We use it here and it's been great, and they're a great company to work with

9. Thanks to Soulfish from:

penfold_99 (9th February 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    If anyone is looking for alternative SIMS/Moodle integration systems I can recommend SchoolsICT and their ZiLink product (ZiLink | enabling 21st century learning). We use it here and it's been great, and they're a great company to work with
    This is what i've just ordered. From what i have seen so far its really good.

11. 2 Thanks to glennda:

NickBryson (9th February 2012), penfold_99 (9th February 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    ...switch to alternative partner and get into lots of fighting about server ownership and blah blah blah.
    Our WebAnywhere account manager just called to apologise profusely and confirmed that we definitely own the server & the content and if we chose to walk away, we could do.

Regardless, I'm waiting 18 months to worry, who knows how everything will pan out from this...

AIT
    Thank Post
    Just wondering if anyone has spoken to WebAnywhere or even Overnet?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AIT View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has spoken to WebAnywhere or even Overnet?
    Indeed - as I said just above you, WebAnywhere rang me earlier :P so you'll probably get a call later today. They were very apologetic, and a little annoyed, perhaps understandably.

AIT
    Thank Post
    Apologies - read down the list too quickly..

So who's in the wrong?

For us we host our own moodle and webanywere have provided a box specifically for the sims integration. who owns this? who owns the software on it?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AIT View Post
    Apologies - read down the list too quickly..

So who's in the wrong?

For us we host our own moodle and webanywere have provided a box specifically for the sims integration. who owns this? who owns the software on it?
    AFAIK, the current SIMS/Serco integration is software owned and licensed by Overnet. I don't know who owns the box (we have one server that does everything) although I imagine the hardware is yours; the software, you will have to decide between continuing with Overnet or switching to WebAnywhere's new system, if it comes to that.

As for who is in the wrong, well, it's all just companies fighting with each other over money, and capitalism is probably in the wrong. I can't imagine either side is blameless; apparently, yes, WebAnywhere are developing their own system, they claim because Overnet were being slow to create something for Moodle 2.0, but should Overnet have sent out a mass email notice like this? Let them fight it out themselves and I'll deal with it when they've decided amongst themselves.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Its an example of internal politics spilling out on to customers. I don't like companies that do that, and have already blacklisted one for doing it before, and this time I will be blacklisting another.

Keep your internal nonsense, internal. I am not a customer of Overnet Data, I am a customer of WebAnywhere.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast