+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, WebAnywhere and Overnet Data SIMS.net integration email in Technical; Glenda do you happen to know how data is read from the MIS as our server is centrally hosted and ...

Thank Post
    Glenda do you happen to know how data is read from the MIS as our server is centrally hosted and tricky to get to for external providers. Also can you tell us whether Zilink writes data assessment or behaviour data back ?

Thank Post
    I thought it appropriate that there is an official response from Webanywhere on this thread.

Thank you to our customers who brought this thread to my attention.

We were unaware of Overnetdata’s intention to send a mass email to our customers overnight, and there are a few points made in the email that I feel need clarification.

Firstly, there’s no immediate need for our customers to change or move their service. We’ll continue to provide our full range of Moodle services as per our contracts with you.

We remain committed to investing capital and resources in developing and improving Moodle and the technologies that underpin it, as well as maintaining a high standard of service and support.

As mentioned above, we’re contacting all our Moodle customers today to explain the situation and answer any questions, and arranging visits for any customers who’d like to see us face-to-face.

I’d agree with the point made above that this is an internal matter that shouldn’t have spilled over into the public domain, and we regret any confusion which has been caused.

I’d be happy to provide further clarification on any individual questions about this issue.

Regards

Mike Bennett
    Head of Secondary Education Division
    Webanywhere Ltd.

3. 3 Thanks to MikeBennett:

AIT (9th February 2012), David_Grashoff (9th February 2012), sonofsanta (9th February 2012)

AIT
    Thank Post
    Hi,

Thank you,

Firstly a far more professional response..

Could you clarify your current dealings/state with OverNetData and also if any further updates/bug fixes will be released.

Also could you state the road map for the future.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickBryson View Post
    Glenda do you happen to know how data is read from the MIS as our server is centrally hosted and tricky to get to for external providers. Also can you tell us whether Zilink writes data assessment or behaviour data back ?
    Nope that is the difference - Zilink doesn't do the write back simply just the publishing - which for us the writing back wasn't a requirement.

EDIT: It is exported using Groupcall's exporter which moodle then reads the data.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AIT View Post
    Hi,

Thank you,

Firstly a far more professional response..

Could you clarify your current dealings/state with OverNetData and also if any further updates/bug fixes will be released.

Also could you state the road map for the future.

Thanks
    Thank you.

As mentioned in my original post, and as I'm sure you would appreciate, it would be inappropriate to discuss details of our relationship with OvernetData in an open forum.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have personally.

Our support line number is 01535 604026 - please ask to speak to myself.

Thanks
    Mike

Thank Post
    Hi

I'm Guy Thomas, the lead developer of the MIS Integration solution developed by Overnet Data. You may be aware of many of the FREE GPL modules I have developed for Moodle, including the "Windows Share Web Client" block, "Enhanced File" module and "LDAP Capture" authentication plugin.

I would like to explain to people why I feel Overnet Data were right in making customers aware of the current issues.

Firstly, customers have been sold a product which I have personally been involved in the development of. I'm very proud of this product and I believe that it is the most innovative solution currently available. Overnet Data were the first company to bring this innovation to market via Web Anywhere in September 2009. I don't think its fair for customers to be forced into upgrading to a similar and less innovative product which does not offer the same interface and features as the one they originally purchased.

Overnet Data's email to customers informs them of choice. It clearly states the options the customer faces, which includes moving to Web Anywhere's new system as well as staying with Overnet Data's. I believe it would have been far more irresponsible of Overnet Data not to have informed customers of this choice and I think they should be commended for reassuring existing customers that their contracts will be honoured regardless of the discontinued relationship with Web Anywhere.

Secondly, Overnet Data entrusted the customer relationship and exclusive stewardship of their product to Web Anywhere. I feel that this trust has been betrayed in that Web Anywhere's new product was in development from as early as September 2010 (according to the change log of their software). Overnet Data have communicated directly with customers en-masse for the first time to simply state their position and make it clear that they will continue to support their product.

An exceptionally significant effort has been invested in the innovation and development of Overnet Data's product and it is important that customers understand the following:

a) Overnet Data's software will work with Moodle 1.9 and Moodle 2.1+
    b) Customers wishing to upgrade to Moodle 2 are free to CHOOSE if they want to continue using Overnet Data's product or move to Web Anywhere's version of the solution.
    c) Overnet Data will continue to maintain and promote the software via a new Moodle partner.

If you would like to speak to me directly about my experiences dealing with both companies, I am quite happy for people to contact me on 07817 298121.

In the interests of full discloure, I am still working with Overnet Data and will happily continue to do so going forward.

AIT
    Thank Post
    As this quite clearly is a matter to both new and old customers of WebAnywere I feel its more than appropriate to ask if there will be any further updates / bug fixes and if the working relationship is still there for continued support.

I have had a few conversations today both with WebAnywere and Overnet, both say they are "doing the support"

Perhaps we could have clarity on who supports what?
    Last edited by AIT; 9th February 2012 at 03:02 PM.

Thank Post
    Hello,

Overnet Data will continue to develop and maintain the Moodle servers and SIMS/CMIS integration solutions.

For schools who have purchased one of our products via Web Anywhere, Overnet Data will continue, as always, to manage, upgrade, monitor and backup your moodle systems. So, all bug fixes and updates will be applied throughout the period of our contracts with Web Anywhere.

In terms of support, we continue as always to provide 3rd line technical support. If you're talking to Claudio, Guy, Mark or myself you're talking to Overnet Data.

If anyone needs any more information, just let me know.

Anthony Wright

01604-807545

10. 2 Thanks to OvernetData:

NickBryson (9th February 2012), synaesthesia (9th February 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OvernetData View Post
    Hello,

Overnet Data will continue to develop and maintain the Moodle servers and SIMS/CMIS integration solutions.

For schools who have purchased one of our products via Web Anywhere, Overnet Data will continue, as always, to manage, upgrade, monitor and backup your moodle systems. So, all bug fixes and updates will be applied throughout the period of our contracts with Web Anywhere.

In terms of support, we continue as always to provide 3rd line technical support. If you're talking to Claudio, Guy, Mark or myself you're talking to Overnet Data.

If anyone needs any more information, just let me know.

Anthony Wright

01604-807545
    Thanks Anthony - how does your MIS integration work with SIMS ?

Thank Post
    Thanks Anthony - how does your MIS integration work with SIMS ?
    The same as webanywheres - if i have read it correctly the one you probably are using is made by Overnet

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    The same as webanywheres - if i have read it correctly the one you probably are using is made by Overnet
    Thanks Glenda but that's my challenge the LA will not host third party products such as Groupcall's Exporter.

Thank Post
    Thanks Glenda but that's my challenge the LA will not host third party products such as Groupcall's Exporter.
    Thats where self-hosting is a major thing - Hence my main reason for disliking leas!

Thank Post
    Hi Nick,

We interface to SIMS through the official SIMS Business Objects API. This uses the SIMS workstation libraries, so if you can use SIMS workstation in the school we can interface to SIMS.

If you just wanted SIMS integration we would put a small box in the school to run the interface software which we manage & update remotely. We also supply managed and self managed on site moodle systems which we also support remotely - where we do day to day administration. monitoring, offsite backups, etc. In this case, we would put in a full rack mount server and the SIMS integration software would run on the same hardware as the moodle server.

We don't supply these solutions directly because we're not a Moodle partner, instead we now supply them through Remote Learner UK. Our website has details if you need any further information.

Does this answer your question?

Thank Post
    We have existing installations of ZiLink which are linked to a hosted SIMS.net installation.
    ZiLink doesn't currently offer write back of assessment or behaviour data but the functionality is on our roadmap along with writing back attendance.

I would be happy to talk about any other requirements you would be looking for in MIS and Moodle integration.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12