+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Frog Update is it me or does it always break things in Technical; is it me or does it always break things when ever they decide to do an update. every time we ...
    Thank Post

Frog Update is it me or does it always break things

is it me or does it always break things when ever they decide to do an update.

every time we have an update we have to spend days on end reporting things that no longer work.

Thank Post
    just got an email that a new upgrade is on its way.

head in hands time again

Thank Post
    Had v9.1.13 update on Monday. How true you are :-(

Thank Post
    Completely agree! Every upgrade breaks something

Thank Post
    what is broken in the new update if you dont mind me asking.

also just noticed they have some videos in the tech support link

The videos are on youtube just shows what faith they have on hosting videos on a frog box.

2 of our current problems have been addressed in this release (what are they going to break now)
    Frog 9.1.13 Release notes

RFC

Users will now be able to invite Login Profiles to share a Calendar.

Administrative users will now be able to extract a CSV report from the Toolkit to review use of the Lesson Planning Tools.

A request for change has been completed to allow Teachers the option not to return a grade to the Student when marking set work.

The PEP Homework brick will now show the name of the Teacher who assigned the work.

A new link action, "Move Page", has been created. This allows users to click on a link to move a page to a different location on Frog.

FDP

The FDP Proxy settings will now run correctly and securely when an FDP widget is used by a user who is not logged in.

The functionality has been added to the FDP to allow users to add the field "Title" to the available user details.

Frog Bricks

Links set within a Boxes, Margins and Background Images brick will now open correctly in when set to use a popup window.

The Calendar brick can now be used on public pages and will not request authentication from users who are not logged in.

The Calendar brick will now constrain to List, Day or Month if requested.

Changes have been made to improve the way the Calendar brick invites Groups and Profiles to share a calendar.

When a user deletes their own entry from a Diary brick the page will now refresh to show the entry is successfully deleted.

Users can now authenticate to a network share on a seperate domain using the prompt that appears within the Network Files brick.

The Due Date of assignments in My Set Work will now only turn red if the Student has failed to hand in the work on time.

CMIS timetables should now be displayed correctly within the Timetable brick.

The Social Networking Wall Logs brick will no longer present "Access Denied".

Frog Community

The Idea Pad will no longer provide security warnings when accessed from a https:// connection.

File Management

A user can now access sub-folders using Shortcuts if they have "Read Only" permissions on the parent folder.

A temporary workaround has been introduced to help with the problem of uploading files when using Internet Explorer 9. Administrators can now turn off the ability to use the multi-uploader by Login Profile, preventing users from accessing this section of Frog while our Development Team work on a permanent fix.

MIS Import

A fix has been applied to stabilise MIS imports to a server with multiple site references.

The import mechanism can now handle larger amounts of behaviour data.

A change has been made to the Assessment import process to allow it to import data containing '+' correctly. Please note that this change also requires the latest version of the SIMS Extractor.

Page Building

The Login Profile Default Template will now have priority over the Site Default Template.

A problem has been resolved where User Fields were wiped from the Page Settings > Properties area when edited.

The option "Open Parse Reports" is now available under Link Actions.

User Management

A problem has been resolved where users could not be added to User Groups.

A fix has been applied to ensure that the role "Read Mail from External Sources" applies correctly.

SCORM

SCORM packages will now run correctly in Internet Explorer 9.

A fix has been applied to allow SCORM packages to run over a HTTPS connection.

Server Administration

Multi-LDAP settings will now save correctly if edited under Server Configuration in the Toolkit.
    Last edited by round2it; 2nd February 2012 at 09:20 AM.

Thank Post
    I've not had time to check all the bug fixes yet but we were hoping that the 'Move Page' action would be working but this still needs to be fixed to work within an 'IF..' statement. Hopefully another update coming out today. Also found that the full character codes are now being displayed again instead of the actual character.
    Still tryign to work through our issues to check the rest of the problems we had.

Thank Post
    feel for you mate

Thank Post
    Agree 100%, every update seems to break things. Utterly frustrating and feels like we are going backwards, makes you wonder if they actually bother testing?

Good to see they have fixed the 'User Fields' issue they introduced in the last update, resulted in me being held back by 2 months as I've been using them extensivley before they broke it.

Thank Post
    they just cant get it right

feel for the people in malaysia

Thank Post
    we need to get together and stick it to them about all the problems, They are disrupting teaching and learning lets fine them for lost time.

Thank Post
    Our last update we had zero issues, as for this latest one it seems to fix issues we are currently having with the calendar made public and actually sticking to monthly view. We should be done come monday/tuesday - cant wait really. Means our main site is almost completely tarnished.

Not surprised at the update issues though because to be frank any updating software struggles, I have sworn at microsoft for breaking our old exchange server with a "Its a known issue you will need to contact MS Support to get the fix - you may be charged" garbage. We have had PCs fail due to updates, laptops even Firefox updates have caused me problems, McAfee Virus scanner Enterprise.

So its not just a Frog issue sadly, everything will stay working if they only fixed bugs all day and not made alterations but would we be happy with that? nope WE WANT MORE!

Hopefully we have zero issues with our update but if you do have problems just call them. If you guys can say what problems you are having I will know what to expect.

Thank Post
    problems with microsoft come as standard i think it is safe to say but frog are in a league by themselves, You impliment things you want and they work as they should ,we put a huge amount of time and effort in to using the platform but when it comes to update time they break the way frog works.

You spend weeks redoing pages to keep the teaching and learning going, This is the point i am making,As a network mamager upgrades/updates are a nightmare but the vle is integral to teaching and learning in a school now as a secondary we are using the vle for btec coursework and frog change the whole way pages are displayed and work this is not good enough we are going 1 step forward and then after an update it is 2 steps back for a 20,000 investment it is not good.
    Plus 4,000 a year for support etc

Thank Post
    Although I do agree, problems are a massive head ache and phone support would always be the first thing to do.

We have yet to have any issues with their updates and although MS can still get it huge wrong and cause problems - this is a company who are able to spend millions just for testing.

Frog unfortunately are still growing - they recently admitted to employing more support staff and still needing more. To target Frog and expect zero issues is a bit OTT in my opinion. It can make you furious (I had an email server going offline every update thanks to MS) which for us is far more critical at the moment. Got it permanently fixed in the end by contacting support.

Totally agree that if updates are causing problems perhaps more testing is required but that means delayed updates, more equipment? more staff?

As Frog state, dont want the updates you are more than able to call them to opt out of the updates. Wait an additional two weeks for any issues to be resolved then get the update?

When it comes to updating our servers I do tend to wait an additional month or two unless it's a high priority.

You say your pages are broken, in what way? is it because they have made alterations to certain frog bricks which are causing an issue? Is this on every page or just a few?

Sadly with any IT related system problems will occur, I know its only a matter of time till we encounter our first.

Thank Post
    i always wait for updates also let someone else be unlucky, you say they are growing and getting more staff but getting the core product working as it should needs to be the priority for any company.

They are expanding into other countrys but the core of the platform is not right

We do put calls into frog but they do not talk to each other We have had an issue with pdf files not opening anymore in certain situations it was working fine before the last update, so we speak to some script monkey telling us its our system the usual update your browser rubbish and it will work.

1 week later we ask for an update it has been passed onto second line blah blah

ring up 2 weeks later no sorry we cant see a problem it must be your system.

read the release notes for the next upgrade low and behold they have a patch for the problem......Hermmmmm but this problem does not exist according to frog.

We are thinking of moving away now as it is not good enough for the investment and trust we put in the company.

You have been really lucky with your frog box maybe it is because we were one of the first to take up frog
    Last edited by round2it; 2nd February 2012 at 12:40 PM.

Thank Post
    Sounds like your just not happy with frog? Maybe you need to talk to a senior manager there and discuss the fact your not happy.

With your PDF files do you have your own copies you can upload and see if it works fine? I know there are massive browser issues and again they also get updated which does not help. Another reason why I stuck with IE most of the time with Frog stuff (I do use FireFox as well).

I can't really help with your issues but it does seem that a serious talk perhaps with Frog are in need. You are actually the first person I have ever spoken to who are seriously considering on leaving frog. Only word of caution I will throw is if you go some where else do not expect things to be better.

We actually left a VLE for our one for many reasons and that had its fair share of problems to the point where staff were getting furious at the point they used only what they HAD to use.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast