+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, How to populate new install of Moodle from old install in Technical; We have installed Moodle 2.2 on the server (2008R2)and wish to import content from our Moodle 1.9 install.I understand that ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,624 Posts

How to populate new install of Moodle from old install

We have installed Moodle 2.2 on the server (2008R2)and wish to import content from our Moodle 1.9 install.I understand that if I do this I will lose stuff so is the best way to replicate the 1.9, upgrade to 2.2 and then back it up and restore it to the new install - or is there an easier way? Copying the lot plus the database will take for ever!
    Last edited by witch; 3rd January 2012 at 06:01 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Backup up the data/database and website files - overwrite the old 1.9 web files with the new 2.2 files and go onto moodle and it would prompt to update.

Thank Post
    But I have been told that the 1.9 files won't import properly into 2.2 - quite a lot of data will be lost such as marks, and blocks?

Thank Post
    If there is not a 2.0 version of the block then I believe it won't lose the data (as I'm pretty sure the data is kept in the DB even though the block isn't present) you just won't be able to use it. You will need to also put the moodle module/blocks back after the upgrade but you remembered that.

The only things you will lose is where there is no 2.0 blocks available.

Thank Post
    Yes, but there immediately is a problem - I have no idea how to put anything back as I have nothing to do with the content on our moodle, unfortunately

Thank Post
    You could backup the courses and restore them into the new moodle.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andyrite View Post
    You could backup the courses and restore them into the new moodle.
    Sorry, but apparently you can't without the loss of quite a lot of the personal data and some of the blocks. What I am really after is someone who has taken their moodle from 1.9 to 2.2 without loss of data, and whether the method I detail is the best one

Thank Post
    I think @kmount might be able to help - hes answered a few of my questions recently.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Sorry, but apparently you can't without the loss of quite a lot of the personal data and some of the blocks. What I am really after is someone who has taken their moodle from 1.9 to 2.2 without loss of data, and whether the method I detail is the best one
    the best but most time consuming method is going to be to export every course individually, import into the new installation and check,recheck. If that isn't an option I'd just backup to a test server and try an upgrade, notify staff that they need to check and recheck each of their courses on the test server and give a deadline for the upgrade.

Thank Post
    Witch, i have done this (as a trial) for ours but we went from version 1.9 to 2.2 on Ubuntu. I wrote a mini guide for myself on how I did it. I did this 4 times to get the best way.

My first attempt was to find out exactly what would break (i.e blocks and plugins). i'll attach an exact copy of the file 9red highlights were the really important plugins to me). Obviosuly it is specific to me and my school with the unsupported plugins list etc.

Moodle Upgrade Guide.docx

I used 2 boxes initially to do this, and it took me a few hours to work out everythign that would happen. You also CANNOT go from 1.9 to 2.2 you need to go through the intermediate steps or it breaks. I used a backed up database, a copy of the moodledata folder and the config.php

As for loss of data, I lost no data that I know of. The data stored for plugins that no longer worked is still there throughout the whole process and when I reinstalled some of the plugins i could get for version 2.2, it picked up all my old data and it was like nothign had changed. the biggest problem I can see you having is that a lot of plugins simply will not work with the new version.

Thank Post
    Oh carp...Thanks very much but as I know next to nothing about Moodle, and moodle.org makes no sense to me, I think this is probably a non-starter! How on earth did you work out what would break? Wouldnt it be different if I am not Ubuntu anyway? Moodle.org and quite a lot of forums state that you WILL lose some of the marks and submissions etc which would be a problem for us.
    So could we upgrade the copy of 1.9 to 2.0 and so on until we get to 2.2 and then import it into our new 2.2 install?
    The whole reason for the upgrade is that the boss wants the booking system and you can't put it on 1.9. So we have put it on the new install.

Thank Post
    What booking system does he want?

I assumed everything would break and it pretty much did, if you update the core files on the install it tried to update and then does checks on all the plugins one by one. This is where I got my list ofthings that wouldn't work but it also provided me a lsit of things I would need to find upgraded or alternatives to, an example of this is our helpdesk we use.

I know you have limited testing resources where you are, but I would do the following

A completely fresh version of whichever version you are currently using (e.g 1.9.14) on a second server/ desktop and host it on moodle2.yourschool.org.uk (Test)
    Then do an SQL dump from your live working Moodle and copy your moodle and moodledata folder from the live install.
    Then replace the moodle and moodledata folder of your test Moodle with the copies you made.
    You should now have a test Moodle with the correct plugins installed, correct moodledata but all your courses and marks won't be there
    Now replace your test database with your SQl dump from your live database
    You should now have an exact copy of your moodle install but hosted on a different URL, check you can login

You can then upgrade the test site to Moodle 2.0 and see what breaks, and if it all breaks then it isn't a problem as it is just a test site. Get to Moodle 2.0.5, then worry about upgrading further.

I don't know who installed your Moodle originally but it might not have that many plugins that will break in it, msot of ours that broke werent used. As for the being on Microsoft and not Ubuntu, it should be irrelevant, the process should be very similar if not identical. You will of course face the same problem I did that you need teaching staff to check that their own courses and grades are there on the test site, you can't do all that yourself and you do not know what is meant to be there to start with.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread