+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Help with Moodle 2.0 VLE Creation in Technical; Hi, I would be very pleased to hear from anyone out there who is currently using Moodle as their VLE ...

Thank Post

Help with Moodle 2.0 VLE Creation

Hi, I would be very pleased to hear from anyone out there who is currently using Moodle as their VLE and would be willing to let me access it to see just what it can do and how it can look when setup etc. by people who have already gone through the learning curve. Most of the Moodle sites I come across quite rightly only let you see a minimal amount without the need to login.

We currently use a commercially hosted VLE provider for our High school and we are considering the option of moving away from this to our own locally hosted set-up. My job is to build a new school website and use this to front up a moodle VLE. I have been getting to grips with Moodle and slowly re-training my brain to think of Categories and Courses instead of Groups and Resources. It would really help if I could see how others have done this and structured the various curriculum subjects and resources, sorry course etc. below them!

Obviously I am not after any access that could possibly allow me to interact in any with courses but purely to see how others have set up the structure and what the look and feel of a half decent Moodle VLE it is like.

All help greatly appreciated.

Thank Post
    Hi there. I'm not in charge of our Moodle so can't give you access (and we don't give guest access anyway) but if it's just course and category structure you want then most Moodles that are available online show their course structure if you type in www.SCHOOMOODLE.com/course/index.php You won't necessarily be able to see inside the courses but it will give you an idea of the structure. My advice is always to keep it simple -loads of sub-sub categories clutters up the sytem - as do loads of courses that are just for individual teachers rather than subject teachers sharing a course with their classes. Ours for the most part go -eg - category: English >course: Y7 English; Y8 English etc etc but at KS4 there are some extra ones. We're on 1.9 in our county but moving to 2 next year. My school is holding a taster to Moodle 2 (free) in Feb if you are interested. It's meant for NW schools as they are still on 1.9 but if you want any ideas or help I'm sure you'd be welcome.

Thank Post
    Hi and thanks for the tip on accessing structures. Have tried it and it certainly does give me a good idea of how others have either kept it simple or rather more complex. Thanks also for the info on what is happening with your moves to Moodle 2.0. I really do agree with you though - whenever possible KEEP IT SIMPLE and I will stick to that ethos for this project. Thanks again.

Regards, Ian

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Ours is a little OTT, unfortuantly I inherited. Its all hosted in house using Moodle 1.9.12 though.

Looking into moving to 2.0 shortly with Sims Intergration.

EDIT: meant to add the link! my bad Here it is http://learning.theweald.org.uk/course/index.php
    Last edited by glennda; 7th December 2011 at 12:11 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just putting the finishing touches to our Moodle 2 install currently running 1.9.x but this new one has web shares, openoffice integration (OpenOffice actually runs on the site itself), Red Pen (online marking system), Mahara E-Portfolio integration, Sims Integration looks like I may be able to ditch the Sharepoint system at this rate should be ready for the New term once it is I can give you guest/student access to it if you wish?

Wes

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wesleyw View Post
    Just putting the finishing touches to our Moodle 2 install currently running 1.9.x but this new one has web shares, openoffice integration (OpenOffice actually runs on the site itself), Red Pen (online marking system), Mahara E-Portfolio integration, Sims Integration looks like I may be able to ditch the Sharepoint system at this rate should be ready for the New term once it is I can give you guest/student access to it if you wish?

Wes
    What have you used for the sims intergration?

Thank Post
    Hi Wes,

That sounds great. I would certainly love to see how your site goes and I am always eager to learn from others whenever possible. Most certainly would like to take up your guest access once your happy with it. Will put an entry in my diary to get back to you after Crimbo!.

Best regards, Ian

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread