+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Google Apps and Active Directory integration - help before it drives me mad! in Technical; So we're generally fed up of Fronter and the lack of decent support and are looking at alternatives. A school ...

Thank Post

Google Apps and Active Directory integration - help before it drives me mad!

So we're generally fed up of Fronter and the lack of decent support and are looking at alternatives. A school i went on a little visit to recently is using Google Apps and are loving it. I thought we'd have a look to to see ifs for us. Part of the requirements for us is that it links to another system for user creation etc, so that we don't have another system to maintain in parallel.

So i found the Google Apps Directory Sync application and started filling in details. Didn't get very far as the ldap connection will not work. I've tried all manner of combinations of distinguished name for the server and login account, and have tried the normal AD port for communications and the Global Catalogue port while pointed at the relevant server, all to no avail. The specific error appears to be generated by the java library they're using to make the connection and complains about being unable to bind - this suggests the user details are at fault, but not sure what else to try that doesn't involve a hammer.

Any suggestions?

The specific error message is as follows:

Error: Connection failed
    Exception: javax.naming.NamingException: [LDAP: error code 1 - 00000000: LdapErr: DSID-0C090627, comment: In order to perform this operation a successful bind must be completed on the connection., data 0, vece

Further info: I did try using ADAM on another machine to supply a 'flattened' version with anonymous access enabled, but data extraction problems still abound, even if the connection initially worked...

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Are you behing the counties Filter/Proxy by any chance. We had to use a 3G dongle at last place to powershell to Live@EDU.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 761 Posts
    It looks more like the connection to the domain controller is failing than the connection to Google, so I don't think a proxy is to blame. My settings are as follows for reference (anonymised, obviously), and in this example my domain is ANGRYTECH with the FQDN being angrytech.internal

Connection type: Standard LDAP
    Host Name: mydc.angrytech.internal (just the plain hostname also works for me)
    Port: 389
    Base DN: OU=People,DC=angrytech,DC=internal (this connects to an OU I created called People in the root of the AD)

Authentication type: Simple
    Authorized user: ANGRYTECH\gads (this is a standard user I set up just for GADS)
    Password: blahblahblah

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I agree with angrytechnician that it looks like a problem connecting to the domain controller.
    I would check that the server you are running ADSync on can access port 389 (or global cat) by running telnet against it. If it fails it's likely to be a firewall. Also check the AntiVirus isn't blocking comms which can happen sometimes.

Thank Post
    Don't you have to allow unsigned LDAP requests for your DCs?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morganw View Post
    Don't you have to allow unsigned LDAP requests for your DCs?
    I didn't have to change this setting, though I can't guarantee it wasn't set already from when we used to be CC3. How would I check?

Thank Post
    See if you have a policy set for:

Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Security Settings / Local Policies / Security Options / Domain controller: LDAP server signing requirements

I think that's the right one to look at anyway, it's been a while since I adjusted my own to allow Moodle authentication via LDAP.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    It looks more like the connection to the domain controller is failing than the connection to Google, so I don't think a proxy is to blame. My settings are as follows for reference (anonymised, obviously), and in this example my domain is ANGRYTECH with the FQDN being angrytech.internal

Connection type: Standard LDAP
    Host Name: mydc.angrytech.internal (just the plain hostname also works for me)
    Port: 389
    Base DN: OU=People,DC=angrytech,DC=internal (this connects to an OU I created called People in the root of the AD)

Authentication type: Simple
    Authorized user: ANGRYTECH\gads (this is a standard user I set up just for GADS)
    Password: blahblahblah
    Angrytech is spot on in that the problem is the connection to the domain controller. Problem is, i tried the exact same format as he did to connect, only for me it is not working.
    I have checked the relevant policies for the domain controller and unsigned requests are allowed
    I have tweaked the Symantec Endpoint firewall rules to specifically allow LDAP connections. This firewall has been such little trouble i had forgotten it even existed.
    I try Telnet to connect to the DC via port 389; initially received 'lost connection to host', but since tweaking Endpoint it now takes me to a blank command prompt screen when i run the command. Not sure if this indicates success or not..

But still, Google Apps Directory Sync wont connect to AD. Any further ideas?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cheredenine View Post
    I try Telnet to connect to the DC via port 389; initially received 'lost connection to host', but since tweaking Endpoint it now takes me to a blank command prompt screen when i run the command. Not sure if this indicates success or not..
    Yes this is a good start. A blank screen with flashing cursor means its connected on 389. are you still getting the same error message though?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Yes this is a good start. A blank screen with flashing cursor means its connected on 389. are you still getting the same error message though?
    Yeah, same error message! Haven't tried again this morning - scheduled a server restart over night, just in case that trick works... Can't think what else could be the issue!

Edit: Restart has made no difference; just tried installing on another server using same config file, but same error appears!
    Last edited by cheredenine; 2nd December 2011 at 08:44 AM.

Thank Post
    can you run wireshark on the dc and see if the request is getting through.

Thank Post
    You could try using port 3268 (works for me) - Google says:
    What port numbers should be used in Google Apps Directory Sync when connecting to Global Catalog server?
    By default, Google Apps Directory Sync connects to an LDAP server with the standard LDAP port 389 to query users from a single domain/LDAP server.
    If you need to query users over multiple domains/LDAP servers that have trust relationship, configure Google Apps Directory Sync to connect to a Global Catalog server with the standard Global Catalog server port 3268.
    More here: Common Issues

Thank Post
    The wireshark comment is interesting - have installed and tested and a connection is received, the data request is recieved, then the connection is closed. So there isn't a block, but still its not working. Not sure how to proceed - not sure if Wireshark shows me anything i can use to diagnose further now its shown the request is getting through...

Had already tried using the Global Catalogue port to the relevant server - no dice...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cheredenine View Post
    The wireshark comment is interesting - have installed and tested and a connection is received, the data request is recieved, then the connection is closed. So there isn't a block, but still its not working. Not sure how to proceed - not sure if Wireshark shows me anything i can use to diagnose further now its shown the request is getting through...
    So the request gets there, but active directory doesn't send a response, just closes the connection? sounds a bit odd. Does anything else on your network use LDAP successfully? I'm wondering if it is an active directory security setting? Does the account that you're binding with have read access (it should by default)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Isn't there a setting in the GPO I seem to remember for allowing LDAP access something to do with NT4 compatibility?

Wes

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast