+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Moodle Help! and a little Hello in Technical; Firstly hello, My name is Mike. i Work at st-paul's School In Leicester. (400 DT and 100ish LT, xp/vista/7, 2003 ...

Thank Post

Moodle Help! and a little Hello

Firstly hello, My name is Mike. i Work at st-paul's School In Leicester. (400 DT and 100ish LT, xp/vista/7, 2003 server/exchange) 10 MB provided by our great EMBC :s

I Have been Jr technician here for 3 years, I don't have an formal qualifications but I do love IT :~)
    Everything I know has been self taught or pick-up off my boss I am working towards my N+ done the A+ (found it is a bit pointless, feeling that the same maybe said for the N+).

Basically since I have been in this school i have help towards setting up buffalo Terastation And Vm. On which we have started running a few Linux based things catci, FOG and now Moodle.

Moodle is running on the VM with*checks* 2gb RAM, 2x 2GHZ and 60gb.

First question : is that enough? for 1000 students (not simultaneously)
    As EMBC would not provide us with a subdomain we had to improvise : using dydns to route our IP to a URL (shocking i know)
    and lastly

moodle3.jpg

Moodle.jpg

why does this happen with chrome IE and Firefox

Thankyou in advance

please be soft on me

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You can get a hostname added to your DNS with EMBC to point to your Moodle. It is not about setting up a sub domain but a Fully Qualified Domain Name for a host. All you need to do is ask for an A record to be set up to point to the public IP you have had allocated to that server. If you are not getting anywhere with the Servicedesk then speak to your LA as they are the best people to help advise you.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    Depends upon the number of concurrent users really:

Hardware
    Disk space: 160MB free (min). You will require more free space to store your teaching materials.
    Memory: 256MB (min), 1GB (recommended). The general rule of thumb is that Moodle can support 50 concurrent users for every 1GB of RAM, but this will vary depending on your specific hardware and software combination.
    This includes hosting limits of PHP or MySQL on a hosting service.
    The capacity can limit the number of users your Moodle site can handle. See User site capacities
    Installing Moodle - MoodleDocs

I think 60GB will be too small if it is used. were using 150+GB on moodle to date

Thank Post
    60GB will be OK for a short time to start with (depends how fast use of your VLE takes off). It's fairly easy with Linux to add another drive, mount it somewhere temporarily, copy over the moodledocs area and then remount it as moodledocs. Just keep an eye on the remaining space (df -v) on the drives and then provision more space as needed. If you can thin provision for your VM discs or SAN LUN's though, you might as well give it a reasonable size to start with.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    ^ yes I agree. 60B will be fine to start with. Since it's a VM adding a disk will be very easy, you can move all the data over to a new partition without rebooting

Thank Post
    Good Morning all,

60 GB is 3x what fronter had, but I will report back to the higher powers that it may not be enough. Thank you for the pointer

dook : I will also mention the dns record to him, as I don't deal with embc (*points finger at single status*)

any ideas why the page isn't displaying correctly?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread