+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Anyone else not renewing their Uniservity contract? in Technical; We are considering what to do next...

Thank Post

Anyone else not renewing their Uniservity contract?

We are considering what to do next

Thank Post
    Wise move what a load of rubbish it is. We have it also and I told our EA from day one to go with Moodle as it's free and is designed for schools but of course someone in a suit new better , never mind what goes around.... There now looking at using Moodle.

Don't know whether to laugh or cry

3. Thanks to kili from:

laserblazer (11th October 2011)

Thank Post

Do you have a developer

Although Moodle is FREE you're going to need someone who can programme to be able to use it properly. I'd look around before rushing in to Moodle - not everyone is fan...

5. Thanks to idej_jedi from:

laserblazer (11th October 2011)

Thank Post
    @idej_jedi what would you recommend?

Thank Post
    I'm impartial as I work for Frog so I'd rather not recommend. I just wanted to make the point that we have a lot of people join us because even though Moodle is free, they don't get the engagement they want from their learning platform because it’s too difficult for non techie teachers to use and create things in, which results in it costing them a fortune.

Like I said, have a look around, you've got lots to choose from, but make sure you get something that works to achieve your whole schools objectives and something that everybody will buy into – teachers, SLT, students, governors and parents – only then will you guarantee success.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by idej_jedi View Post
    Although Moodle is FREE you're going to need someone who can programme to be able to use it properly. I'd look around before rushing in to Moodle - not everyone is fan...
    It's called training. You cant expect anyone to just get on with it with any product there has to be a level of training to allow the user to achieve his aims and no one can expect anyone to be able to program in PHP or use mysql to use Moodle.

It's an easy free product to use when shown how. NO PROGRAMMING NECCESSARY

There's a large community of supporters and helpers, modules and plugins being written all the time and available free so your not out on your own all the help and advice you need is readily available from the community free.

If you had to buy or have Moodle written it would cost tens of thousands give it a ago it wont cost you a penny

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by idej_jedi View Post
    I'm impartial as I work for Frog so I'd rather not recommend. I just wanted to make the point that we have a lot of people join us because even though Moodle is free, they don't get the engagement they want from their learning platform because it’s too difficult for non techie teachers to use and create things in, which results in it costing them a fortune.

Like I said, have a look around, you've got lots to choose from, but make sure you get something that works to achieve your whole schools objectives and something that everybody will buy into – teachers, SLT, students, governors and parents – only then will you guarantee success.
    Excellent answer, thanks. As you so rightly say, all concerned have to be sold on it. Training is all very well providing you have the time and the inclination. The staff here have a pretty full day and simply would not be receptive to something that is going to make their day any longer. One of the things I am resolved on is that we will get together with the other schools in the pyramid and aim for a common platform.

Thank Post
    I'd back up kili and say you do not need to programme to use Moodle. I can and have not had to program anything. I have made some tweaks but that was as a technical person, it is not something teachers would need to do ever. Skills for Moodle consist of:

Zip files and folders
    click buttons
    be able to read
    type
    breathe

Training is important & also having a plan. Moodle floated along for a while here due to management not knowing what they wanted it used for. Now they have a plan it is starting to be picked up by departments. It has been a lot of work for us but it will be worth it in the end. If the staff really have no time then you are going to have to pay a whole heap of money to someone else to create resources and run a set up for you. If they "have no time as we are so over worked woe is us" then I doubt any solution will work as they will not commit any time to it.

Some of our best users of Moodle are non-techie. If you can use Word then you can add stuff to Moodle, either via files or copying and pasting from a document into a text box. Some of the more advanced bits of Moodle can need you to get your head round some concepts but I would suggest as the school IT person you do that as they shouldn't need to be done that many times.

Thank Post
    All my schools are dropping or have dropped uniservity and moved to Google Apps for Education. Something like 11 million students are using it around the world. Its Free and from a teacher point of view very very easy to use. From my perspective (techie) its going to change the way my schools work and collaborate. Its free so I would have a play.

If you need any help pm me or ask on these forums.

Search in these forums for Google apps for ed.

Thank Post
    t's called training. You cant expect anyone to just get on with it with any product there has to be a level of training to allow the user to achieve his aims and no one can expect anyone to be able to program in PHP or use mysql to use Moodle.
    I gave a 30min demo to a non techie deputy head and on my next visit she had created an entire site for the school. Google have created something that is very logical and user friendly.

Plus you also get email, documents, calendar, picasa (photo storage), video storage, offline backup, single sign on. and all the other google products rolled up into a single system with admin control.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    I gave a 30min demo to a non techie deputy head and on my next visit she had created an entire site for the school. Google have created something that is very logical and user friendly.

Plus you also get email, documents, calendar, picasa (photo storage), video storage, offline backup, single sign on. and all the other google products rolled up into a single system with admin control.
    Rather proves my point really you've found a product that only takes 30 minutes to train a user in it's use. Any product that is that intuitive has to be worth considering.

The only concern is the offsite storage of data . Our uniservity install is located on our local wan so data is a lot more secure. Something to be considered before porting to Google or any on-line presence ,
    Last edited by kili; 11th October 2011 at 12:43 PM.

Thank Post
    The only concern is the offsite storage of data
    From a legal point of view they have passed the EU data security act thingy that lets them hold governemt or schools info.

From a users point of view you don't have to put everything into the google world. I would never upload server passwords etc, but dont have any issues with day to day files.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    All my schools are dropping or have dropped uniservity and moved to Google Apps for Education. Something like 11 million students are using it around the world. Its Free and from a teacher point of view very very easy to use. From my perspective (techie) its going to change the way my schools work and collaborate. Its free so I would have a play.

If you need any help pm me or ask on these forums.

Search in these forums for Google apps for ed.
    We are using google apps and have been for more than a year.
    Whilst google apps is a fantastic teaching learning and collaborative tool it really ISN'T a replacement for a well structured VLE, it does however work perfectly with moodle

Thank Post
    Hi, New to this but was wondering if anybody may be able to assist me with a little bit of Wisdom? My school has been part of this SharePoint Kaleidos VLE, but I can't help feeling that it isn't going anywhere. Does anybody know what will be happening with the RM VLE, is it upgrading to 2010 or will we be stuck with the 2007 version?

Thank Post
    Imho Google Apps \ Office 365 are productivity tools not pure learning tools, should definitely be used but I'd recommend in conjunction with a VLE of some sort rather than as a direct replacement.

Frog is quite funky but pricey, Moodle can do a lot of that for much less, however I always say Moodle is a blank canvas out the box and it's up to you to tailor it for your organisation. If you expect everything to be there on a plate after you click install you'll be disappointed so manage expectations sensibly and you'll be fine

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread