+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Fronter Y11 Demo site in Technical; Fronter has announced Y11 has been delayed....
  1. #16

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    175
    Thank Post
    25
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    10
    Fronter has announced Y11 has been delayed.

  2. #17

    john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,362
    Thank Post
    1,499
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Rep Power
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by nickjelly View Post
    Fronter has announced Y11 has been delayed.
    Any reasons behind it? Maybe the fact its looks were majorly different made people go OMG no etc?

  3. #18
    Face-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    577
    Thank Post
    11
    Thanked 58 Times in 40 Posts
    Rep Power
    70
    The reason for the delay is to do with browsers caching y10 version causing issue when fronter then changes to y11. Nothing ctrl-f5 could fix but probably best to get it right first time

  4. #19
    jdoyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Republic of Swindon
    Posts
    394
    Thank Post
    70
    Thanked 49 Times in 42 Posts
    Rep Power
    57
    "the interface should disappear into the background"

    Fronter Global



    "An exciting development in Y11 is the introduction of a license expiry option. This will allow an administrator to set an expiry date for a license either through an import or on a user's contact card. This may be useful for defining a time frame for a temporary user account and will ensure the user cannot continue to login beyond the set expiry date."

    Not sure I'd use the word exciting but possibly a useful feature. Definitely not high on the list of things I'd want addressed though!! Recognising that a Key Stage 4 room might be needed for 2years rather than 1 and adding an expiration date to the room might be more useful.......

    Don't think the issue of cleaning staff being imported from SIMs and taking up user licenses has been addressed. Not sure if the groups created for classroom teachers are being used in this version.

    Clicking on the + symbol in an Open Forum entry way down the list to see a reply refreshes the screen back to the top of the page and forces you to scroll back down to see the entry you are interested in. Poor.

    Are student timetables imported yet? Does Fronter recognise the difference between teachers and support staff yet? Is Fronter able to recognise that we've activated the LDAP option and to then automatically set the LDAP password code as new users are imported?

    Is the room/resource booking feature worth using now? Is there a way of associating a TA with a students and that TA then having access to the same rooms as the student they support?

    "The Page Tool has been improved, primarily in the form of single click editing:" whereas getting to Logout, Calendar, Rooms is now "single click+"...

    Where is the demonstration of the better integration with Pearson's gateway or a demonstration SCORM course to show how much faster it loads and how much better the navigation is?


    So much marketing spin; so little real progress.

  5. #20

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,892
    Thank Post
    518
    Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,935 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    839
    Quote Originally Posted by jdoyle View Post
    Don't think the issue of cleaning staff being imported from SIMs and taking up user licenses has been addressed. Not sure if the groups created for classroom teachers are being used in this version.
    This never happened at my last school. Only teachers appeared. I'm pretty sure this is a configuration issue, not a problem with Fronter.

  6. #21

    john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,362
    Thank Post
    1,499
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Rep Power
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by jdoyle View Post
    "the interface should disappear into the background"

    Fronter Global

    Anyone think Tom Soron the guy in that video looks a little like our @Domino

  7. #22
    jdoyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Republic of Swindon
    Posts
    394
    Thank Post
    70
    Thanked 49 Times in 42 Posts
    Rep Power
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    This never happened at my last school. Only teachers appeared. I'm pretty sure this is a configuration issue, not a problem with Fronter.
    lucky you. When cleaning staff are appearing in Fronter and taking up licenses, it's a Fronter problem, for which I expect Fronter support to suggest a solution be that a config change in Fronter or a pointer re something in SIMs.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    18
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jdoyle View Post
    lucky you. When cleaning staff are appearing in Fronter and taking up licenses, it's a Fronter problem, for which I expect Fronter support to suggest a solution be that a config change in Fronter or a pointer re something in SIMs.
    The data that is sent to Fronter from the MIS system is dictated by the IMS standard. Fronter import the data that they are sent. If cleaning staff are present in the data export and exported to Fronter (as they are included in the IMS standard) then they will be created in Fronter. If you do not want this then you will need to lobby for the IMS standard to be changed.

    We have examples of schools where the cleaning staff have their own facilities room and use it for shift rota's, uploading and maintaining policy documents and involving the support staff in the school community.

  9. #24
    jdoyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Republic of Swindon
    Posts
    394
    Thank Post
    70
    Thanked 49 Times in 42 Posts
    Rep Power
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronter View Post
    The data that is sent to Fronter from the MIS system is dictated by the IMS standard. Fronter import the data that they are sent. If cleaning staff are present in the data export and exported to Fronter (as they are included in the IMS standard) then they will be created in Fronter. If you do not want this then you will need to lobby for the IMS standard to be changed.
    is this really meant to be a serious answer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fronter View Post
    We have examples of schools where the cleaning staff have their own facilities room and use it for shift rota's, uploading and maintaining policy documents and involving the support staff in the school community.
    Can you post a link to any case studies re this?

    We have used Fronter for some administration purposes but having subsequently gone with Sharepoint as our Intranet we are generally moving admin tasks/documents etc there.

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Looks pretty good - we go live tomorrow (fingers crossed) with Y11.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. uploading a linked HTML 'site' to a Fronter 'room'
    By morphy_richards in forum Virtual Learning Platforms
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14th July 2011, 12:01 PM
  2. An interesting T-Shirt site
    By Ric_ in forum General Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 22nd June 2007, 10:53 AM
  3. A final site logo required.
    By Dos_Box in forum General EduGeek News/Announcements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 28th August 2005, 09:37 PM
  4. Site Construction
    By RobC in forum Comments and Suggestions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14th June 2005, 02:24 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •