+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Moodle email smtp error problem in Technical; Hallo there I have been trying to find out how to set my email in Moodle 2. I am new ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    za
    Posts
    9
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Moodle email smtp error problem

    Hallo there

    I have been trying to find out how to set my email in Moodle 2. I am new to Moodle I like it very much and how you can make the quizzes and courses.

    My problem is when a student creates account it says message failed.

    Under Server and email I have set it like this.

    smtp hosts: smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net
    username: online2212355
    Password: for email: ******

    Everytime I create account for a new user pretending to be student to test the email it says message failed cannot send.

    Why is this?

    Thank you
    Regards
    Cheryl

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,144
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 326 Times in 316 Posts
    Rep Power
    77
    1. smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net host, is this your or your ISP's
    2. Have you allowed moddle to relay off this host?
    3. Does it require authentication and is the authentication type correct?
    4. Check the logs on smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net and see what SMTP logs are saying.

    Sukh

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    za
    Posts
    9
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Red face smtp error in moodle email problem

    Quote Originally Posted by sukh View Post
    1. smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net host, is this your or your ISP's
    2. Have you allowed moddle to relay off this host?
    3. Does it require authentication and is the authentication type correct?
    4. Check the logs on smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net and see what SMTP logs are saying.

    Sukh
    Thank you so much for your reply I appreciate it. I am new to this but I cannot get the email sorted out yet.

    Yes my smtp is smtp.dls.telkomsa.net
    What do you mean about allowing moodle to relay off this host. Could you walk me through the steps please.
    where do I check the logs on smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net and see what smtp logs are saying.

    do I have to change anything in php mailer
    Internet_E-mail_Settings-2011-06-26_00.18.30.png
    Internet_E-mail_Settings-2011-06-26_00.18.54.png

    Screenshot-2011-06-26_00.01.21.png

    Thank you again for helping me.
    Last edited by cher736; 25th June 2011 at 11:26 PM.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,144
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 326 Times in 316 Posts
    Rep Power
    77
    1. The 1st & 2nd picture is of Outlook.
    2. The 3rd seems to be of moodle.
    3. smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net - Is this a windows server with SMTP service running? IS it an exch server? Is it a unix server?
    4. Is smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net working from other applications or for Outlook if it's used for this.
    5. I got no idea what smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net this is so I cant say where to look for logs, if you reply to point3 I may be able to help.
    6. Has this ever worked? Or is it 1st time you trying to get it to work?


    Some info on moodle but this is straight forward. - Email settings - MoodleDocs

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    za
    Posts
    9
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    email problems

    Quote Originally Posted by sukh View Post
    1. The 1st & 2nd picture is of Outlook.
    2. The 3rd seems to be of moodle.
    3. smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net - Is this a windows server with SMTP service running? IS it an exch server? Is it a unix server?
    4. Is smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net working from other applications or for Outlook if it's used for this.
    5. I got no idea what smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net this is so I cant say where to look for logs, if you reply to point3 I may be able to help.
    6. Has this ever worked? Or is it 1st time you trying to get it to work?


    Some info on moodle but this is straight forward. - Email settings - MoodleDocs
    Hallo there



    The system I am using is windows xp sp2. The email works fine in microsoft outlook I do not use microsoft exchange. With these email settings I sent you.

    I sent you a screenshot of moodle to show you what I had typed in there for...smtp which is also used for the outlook email, which is smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net

    and my pop3 is pop3.telkomsa.net.



    What must i put in moodle 2.03 for email to work or how should I go about it?



    I am running moodle for windows as a localhost from pc. Yes it is the first time I am trying to set up moodle any help would be appreciated.



    Thank you

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,144
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 326 Times in 316 Posts
    Rep Power
    77
    1. In moodle you should put in the smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net for the relay
    2. It seems like youre using POSTFIX and the SMTP on Windows XP SP2, if this is the case, you need to make sure either the IP address of the moodle systems is allowed to relay using smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net or setup a username/password which postfix will expect so that a system is allowed to rely.
    3. As a test, from the PC running moodle try the below and see if this work.

    Open cmd.exe
    Then Type Telnet smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net 25
    Helo smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net 25
    mail from:youremail@yourdomainname.com
    rcpt to:youremail@yourdomainname.com
    Data. (then hit return).
    Subject:Test (. then hit return).

    for ref : XFOR&#58 Telnet to Port 25 to Test SMTP Communication

    See if you get the message. You may want to disabled any AV or firewall you have on the moodle PC to test this as it gets stopped. If you cant event telnet to the host then configure your SMTP to allow the moodle OS to connect.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    za
    Posts
    9
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sukh View Post
    1. In moodle you should put in the smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net for the relay
    2. It seems like youre using POSTFIX and the SMTP on Windows XP SP2, if this is the case, you need to make sure either the IP address of the moodle systems is allowed to relay using smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net or setup a username/password which postfix will expect so that a system is allowed to rely.
    3. As a test, from the PC running moodle try the below and see if this work.

    Open cmd.exe
    Then Type Telnet smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net 25
    Helo smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net 25
    mail from:youremail@yourdomainname.com
    rcpt to:youremail@yourdomainname.com
    Data. (then hit return).
    Subject:Test (. then hit return).

    for ref : XFOR&#58 Telnet to Port 25 to Test SMTP Communication

    See if you get the message. You may want to disabled any AV or firewall you have on the moodle PC to test this as it gets stopped. If you cant event telnet to the host then configure your SMTP to allow the moodle OS to connect.

    I tried the telnet commands and this is a screenshot of what I got.
    I also set Moodle to smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net
    telnet.GIF

    What else do I need to do.

    I tried again to set up account pretending to be a student in Moodle on the login screen and itsaid
    SMTP Error: Could not authenticate. ERROR: SMTP Error: Could not authenticate.
    SMTP server error: 5.5.2 Error: command not recognized

    Thank you
    Cheryl
    Last edited by cher736; 26th June 2011 at 08:35 PM.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Surburbia
    Posts
    2,178
    Thank Post
    74
    Thanked 307 Times in 243 Posts
    Rep Power
    115
    Try again, but just type:

    data

    Then hit return (you typed "data." i.e. with a period/dot on the end).

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    za
    Posts
    9
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    Try again, but just type:

    data

    Then hit return (you typed "data." i.e. with a period/dot on the end).
    Hi there

    I realised I had done something wrong so this is now what I did and the replies I got back.

    220 rrba-ip-smtp-2-3.saix.net ESMTP Postfix
    Helo smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net 25
    250 rrba-ip-smtp-2-3.saix.net
    mail from:cherylj1@telkomsa.net
    250 2.1.0 Ok
    rcpt to: cherylj1@telkomsa.net
    250 2.1.5 Ok
    Data
    354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
    Subject:Test
    .
    This is a test message you will not see a response from this command.
    .
    250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as A69101F63

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,144
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 326 Times in 316 Posts
    Rep Power
    77
    Did you get the test message?

  11. #11

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    za
    Posts
    9
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    No it did not show anything in my email or in cmd

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,144
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 326 Times in 316 Posts
    Rep Power
    77
    The message has been accepted and queued, do you see anything on your smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net host?

    ARe y o sure the message isnt in your junk email?

    smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net - Is this working for any other application?

  13. #13

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    za
    Posts
    9
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sukh View Post
    The message has been accepted and queued, do you see anything on your smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net host?

    ARe y o sure the message isnt in your junk email?

    smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net - Is this working for any other application?
    After Subject:Test I press Enter nothing happend. waited a while then I checked the junk mail box nothing there. This email does work with no problem I can send and receive normal emails with attachments but when I do it through telnet it does not want to work and in moodle it does not want to work..

    Thanks again
    Regards Cheryl

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,144
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 326 Times in 316 Posts
    Rep Power
    77
    What you need to do is check the SMTP logs on smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net and see what's going on. The message seems to have been accepted but it isnt getting delivered.

    Can you check the queues on the smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net host and see if you can see the messages?

  15. #15

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    za
    Posts
    9
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    How do I check the queues or smtp logs what do I do to do that?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Problem with SMTP email out from Moodle via Live@Edu domain
    By UKDarkstar in forum Virtual Learning Platforms
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10th October 2010, 06:45 PM
  2. SMTP Error 553
    By phreak in forum Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 23rd December 2009, 04:13 PM
  3. Email Confirmation Needing SMTP server
    By Steven in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 29th May 2008, 03:05 PM
  4. Exchange 2003 SMTP Problem
    By astral_traveller in forum Windows
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 23rd November 2007, 12:07 PM
  5. PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 16): 550 5.7.1
    By timbo343 in forum Windows
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15th July 2007, 12:19 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •