+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Moodle intranet in Technical; We are looking at going to a Moodle installation for our VLE but also having it as our Intranet to ...

Thank Post

Moodle intranet

We are looking at going to a Moodle installation for our VLE but also having it as our Intranet to cut down on the number of places people go to to look at things (and cut down on the number of things we need to maintain). I am having a slight problem getting my head around fitting an Intranet on to the courses model so was wondering if anyone else has done it and if they have any tips? The main problem I am having is that currently we have 2 intranets, staff and student, seperated by ntlm permissions on the server. Trying to seperate stuff away from the students doesn't seem straight forward in Moodle. Yes I can lock things away in courses but ideally I would have it so that students can't see anything that we don't want them to, so any staff categories or sections (courses). Am I wasting my time or is this possible?

Ta.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Moodle intranet

After looking at this a little myself I think you need to create an installation just for staff. It gets confusing when assigning permissions to 'students' as your intended students are in fact teachers, I just think it makes it a lot simpler.

One of the guys on the 2006 BETT Moodle stand suggested a great way to introduce Moodle was as a StaffRoom. I think this is how he did it (IT Director from Derbyshire somewhere)

Thank Post

I did wonder about that but partly want to keep it all as one and the staff content if kept seperate wouldn't need the full VLE treatment. Reasoning behind keeping it one is that staff have a one stop shop for everything so get more used to it and hopefully use it more. Otherwise I think we would just use 2 Joomla installs for staff nad student and have Moodle as a link from there. Then we end up with differing systems again.

Thank Post

Just enrol all staff onto a metacourse. They will automatically be enrolled on courses "below" this one. I don't see any reason why this shouldn't be as secure as any other system. It also has the added advantage of introducing some of the features of Moodle to the less impressed members of staff.

Thank Post

I looked at a Moodle install to carry out both functions and decided against it.
    Eventually went for a Moodle install and a seperate CMS (e107) as the intranet.

I can pm a link if you want to have a look.

Thank Post

Ta all. I'll have to look at metacourses as I don't think I quite understand them to solve my problem. I'm starting to think it will have to be a separate intranet/vle system. Just annoying as I'm sure it can be done. Ohh well.

Thank Post

Hi there

I would not give up quite yet. It is worth spending some time getting to grips with Moodle's role assignment system, as it is in 1.7 and 1.8. Although this can be a headache to begin with, it allows complete control over who can do what in which part of the system. For example, all your staff intranet "courses" could be organised under one course category, and specific roles can be assigned to staff for these courses so that in the specific context of these courses most staff would have rights similar to students and students would have no rights / access at all - if that's what you want. Unfortunately the role features of Moodle are new and not particularly well-documented yet (no, I'm not stepping forward), but you can really go to the moon with them and you should be able to easy do what you need to no.

I agree metacourses will not do much for you.

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers

Dave

Thank Post

Thanks for that. Abit of a glimer of hope. I'll have to keep fingers crossed that someone writes up the documentation before the summer. I upgraded to 1.8 and have been playing with roles but ended up just randomly adding and taking them away and not knowing quite what I was doing. When I went to find out anything all I ever got was that general document about roles which wasn't much help.

I have a gut feeling that I won't be able to hide things from the students, just make them unaccessible but we shall just have to live with that.

Thanks again.

Thank Post

As a simple solution, can you not make teachers "non-editing teachers" within the courses pupils should not see and set the availability to "this course is not available to students"

You can also hide the courses or the containing course category so pupils don't even see them. Only enrolled staff will see them in "my courses" once they have logged in.

I agree that fiddling with roles would be the way to go though. I'm planning a dual purpose Moodle installation (VLE and intranet) but haven't got far with it yet. (lack of funds for a decent server, atm it's running on my desktop!!)

Thank Post

I've got our staff intranet running on moodle. All of the courses are hidden. The staff members are just students on the intranet course. If you need any more info let me know.

Thank Post

Wizzer is right: this is a simple way forward that will achieve what you want to achieve.

There are a couple of points you may wish to consider to avoid time and hassle later on.

Firstly, roles can be assigned at whole range of levels, from site wide to individuals activities. If you wished the intranet part of your application to contain several "courses", you can assign at the course category level so that staff roles so not need to be defined in each and every course.

Secondly, instead of using the non-editing teacher role directly you may simply want to copy that role and call in something life "intranet staff members". That way, when you become confident with roles you can start tweaking this role without having impacts elsewhere on the system.

Cheers for now

Dave

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Wizzer
    As a simple solution, can you not make teachers "non-editing teachers" within the courses pupils should not see and set the availability to "this course is not available to students"

You can also hide the courses or the containing course category so pupils don't even see them. Only enrolled staff will see them in "my courses" once they have logged in.

I agree that fiddling with roles would be the way to go though. I'm planning a dual purpose Moodle installation (VLE and intranet) but haven't got far with it yet. (lack of funds for a decent server, atm it's running on my desktop!!)
    I have been fiddling with this but although the teachers can access it the category would not pop up on the front page for them. Think it is called the combo view. I looked around and others have had this problem in the transition between 1.6 and 1.7 but I followed their advice and that still didn't work. In the end I was just randomly assigning roles to see what would work and got bored I think. I fear I will have to just hide away somewhere and try and get my head around roles and the different levels they can be assigned at without being disturbed.
    Don't worry, this is all being developed on an ubuntu desktop until confirmation that the changeover is happening with the hope of a server to go with it

Cheers David you've been a great help. I am coming round to the idea of actually making new roles for the intranet to stop confusion so that may help out.

@andyrite: Are you using roles? More info would be a great help. Possibly a rough outline of how you organised it too. Ta

Thank Post

I'm still on 1.6

All of my students are imported from our MIS system by a csv file. I set staff up manually. Then the accounts are linked to AD. I've set moodle so there is no guest view. Users are forced to login. When a user logs in (staff or student) they only see courses they are enroled onto. I setup two courses Staff IT help and Student IT help. The staff intranet is a meta course under the staff it help course. You could do the same for students.

The staff are very happy now as they can access the staff intranet from home.

If you need any more info let me know.

Andy

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread