+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, VLE Development plan in Technical; Hi I was just wondering if anyone had done a timeplan/gannt chart for developing/deploying a vle within their school. I ...

Thank Post

VLE Development plan

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone had done a timeplan/gannt chart for developing/deploying a vle within their school.

I am currently doing one and guessing how long things will take, and wondered if anyone could give me ideas of how long things actually take to develop.

So far I have a server, installed moodle, added all the courses, created the theme, (currently looking to add users waiting on SLT to decide how they want them!!)

If anyone could give me some hints that would be fantastic!

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,787 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have a look at The Learning Platform Network for a start ... Are you looking for the technical delivery, the educational planning or a bit of both?

Thank Post
    You could look at the video here Learning Platform Videos they about the LMLE but the experience is transferable. Also some documents here http://www.lgfl.net/lmle/Documents/Forms/AllItems.aspx?RootFolder=%2flmle%2fDocuments%2fImp lementation%20Strategies&FolderCTID=&View={9EFA808 D-8074-4B26-8A0B-7B4EC5FEAE33}

Thank Post
    I was looking at the push out phase and populating it with lessons/resources

The staff at our school don't have the best ICT skills so I want to make it as painless as possible.

How long did you all spend on training staff?
    Did you do the training and then left them with the VLE for them to setup their own areas?
    What did you choose to do about hosing it? (currently ours is just on the server and avaliable internallty)
    Were any of you asked to produce a time plan/gannt chart?
    Any tips at all would be fantastic

Thank Post
    The key thing is to get backing from ALL of SMT on this, as without it, it WILL go nowhere fast. Staff will try and come up with any old excuse not to use it (our head of MFL refuses to use it). Try and cunningly "force" reluctant staff into using by putting things on there that requires them to login to get access to, rather than on a shared drive. I need to speak to our Assistant Head again to get ours moving as progress has kind of haltered somewhat. Good luck with it!

Thank Post
    I am struggling atm with STL. They don't respond to simple request like can i please have all the modules within each course in your faculty!
    We haven't even got to the more advance stages, it kind of worries me!

My new tack is going with the a VLE is a requirement on the new OFSTED framework!
    Fingers crossed I get somewhere!

Thank Post
    We have OFSTED in today, I kind of hope they pick up on how little the learning platform is being used across the school but I doubt it somehow. I think the VLE is built into our rather complex improvement plan, but kind of gets ignored.

Thank Post
    Good Luck for today!

you wouldnt happen to have a breakdown of each step involved in developing a good learning platform! My current list is getting longer and longer this morning!

Thank Post

Simpler alternatives to VLEs?

Hi All – I have been looking at VLEs for over a year now and unfortunately made little headway owing to the fact that none of them seem quite right for what I am looking for.

Ultimately, I want to be able to store / manage my teaching resources so I can access them from one place (online) and also share them with my students so they can access from home (and ideally on the go via smartphones/tablets). I'd like, for example, to be able to create an online 'repository' where my students can go and browse through all the materials I have used in class -from documents and videos to simple web links. Other than the "traditional" VLEs (Moodle, etc) does anyone know of any other (simple and inexpensive) solutions?

Although I have tried installing Moodle myself I found it pretty complicated and to be honest I’m not sure we need 90% of the features it offers anyway. So far I have tried using USBs (not a good solution!) and more recently have started using an online file-sharing platform called Dropbox but that got a little muddled as it wasn’t easy for students to search for resources (plus I needed to share links which it doesn’t do). Advice or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks All!

Thank Post
    Hi Emma
    when i was reasearching into which VLE to go with I came across this, might be something you could use listed here Barry Sampson | Open Source LMS – 10 Alternatives to Moodle

Thank Post
    Have you looked at Edmodo? Free and known as "vle lite" Edmodo | Secure Social Learning Network for Teachers and Students

Thank Post
    If all you want to do is manage resources, have you thought about using something like Wordpress, Drupal or Joomla?

Wordpress is the easiest to set up, and you can set up logins and basic access control if you need it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EmmaJonesUK View Post
    more recently have started using an online file-sharing platform called Dropbox but that got a little muddled as it wasn’t easy for students to search for resources (plus I needed to share links which it doesn’t do). Advice or recommendations would be much appreciated.
    Couldn't you just create a text file and then copy the URL of the link into that? Or create a new shortcut and paste the web address in there? Or do you not mean internet links?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread