+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, What i need to host moodle ourselves in Technical; Basically, Link2ICT are wanting a hefty sum every year to host Moodle. So i'm wondering what i would need to ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

What i need to host moodle ourselves

Basically, Link2ICT are wanting a hefty sum every year to host Moodle. So i'm wondering what i would need to just do it myself?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Basically, a Linux Box running Apache and then have it being pointed to by a domain name on the internet, something like moodle.yourschool.bham.sch.uk for example.

Depending on how many users you have depends on how big the box needs to be.

I'm going to do this as well I think, if nothing else, it allows me to have the addons that I want and also things like the smb client etc.

3. Thanks to Tricky_Dicky from:

Little-Miss (14th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Well there's people out there offering to host for 5-10 a month but check out what CSNM can do for you as a edugeeker

I'm imagining you'll need one of those server-computer thingys and a T'internet connection to do it all yourself

Si

5. Thanks to SimpleSi from:

Thank Post
    Also considor that Link2ICT are not the only people that can host this for you. You could considor hosting your Moodle with a company such as CS New Media. That way you save the headache of having to manage a Linux but but at the same time you aren't paying over the odds.

7. Thanks to Edu-IT from:

Thank Post
    If you are more happier with Windows I know it is sacrilege but I run Apache on Windows server and have had no ill effects (except a slight twitch but that was inevitable). I installed an XAMPP package and went from there.

9. Thanks to TechMonkey from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    So i'm wondering what i would need to just do it myself?
    A computer, pretty much - something server-like with a (hardware or software) RAID setup and backed up, etc, would be best, or a VM running on something like that, but ultimatly a spare PC would do. If you can give us an idea of how many users (simultanious and total) are likly to be using the machine I'm sure we can come up with some hardware specifications.

I shouldn't worry too much about which OS you use to run Moodle - once you're past the inital install, which is very well documented, all the management is via the web browser anyway. There's a couple of Moodle admin books available, you could get one of those if you need step-by-step guidance.

11. Thanks to dhicks from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,012 Posts
    It's pretty simple to setup i'm currently testing transfering the files from my LEA's hosted server using there sso to my own using LDAP, all you need is a copy of the moodle data and also a mysql dump there is a howto here. You might be lucky and get a copy of the webroot folder but my lea hosted system just told me to download the version of the internet that we where running as theres contained lots of custom coding for various parts. Once you have the files in place its a case of just running the installer on the server and it does every thing you need it to. One advantage of hosting yourself is you can use LDAP authentication (to link to Active directory) so the users only have to remember one username and password.

13. Thanks to glennda from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mine is on my one and only server - 2008R2 with everything else and it seems to work. I'm not sure quite how as I didnt install it, the guys who transferred our server over from 2003 did so but it obviously works. If you want to have a look round our install or ask any questions, pm me

15. Thanks to witch from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've built and hosted a moodle site - if you need help message me it's very very easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    all you need is a Linux Server, download the free iso bang it on a machine and install LAMP, this will do it just fine then have it pointed to a domain name then just install and configure moodle.

Thank Post
    Depends whether you prefer to spend your time backing up data, testing Moodle patches, keeping the OS up to date etc or actually doing work on the Moodle site itself to encourage staff takeup. We could support it in-house here but I sent it outside so I could work on the theme, Live@Edu, course creation etc.

Also bear in mind if hosting internally whether your Internet connection is up to it if expecting a lot of people to sign in from home. Is it reliable? If you host externally stick with a company with Moodle experience rather than a generic web host, that way you have support for the VLE if something goes wonky...

Thank Post
    Or the side is do you want staff to be able to carry on using the VLE in lessons if your internet connection goes down. It is the eternal internal VS external service question. We have been extremely glad it was internally hosted the few times our connection has gone down during the day allowing staff to carry on with a few things unavailable rather than have to wing it on a backup plan.

I wouldn't say any of the "issues" there with hosting internally are that time consuming.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Depends whether you prefer to spend your time backing up data, testing Moodle patches, keeping the OS up to date etc or actually doing work on the Moodle site itself to encourage staff takeup.
    No doubt there's a company out there somewhere that will manage your on-site Moodle server via remote access, much like Frog does with their servers. A school system shouldn't really have a problem with having an additional server, though - I'd assume most schools already have servers that are backed up and patched.

Also bear in mind if hosting internally whether your Internet connection is up to it
    You could have the server mirrored in some way to an external host, giving you fast internal access and (hopefully) fast external access. How, exactly, you do that mirroring I'm not sure, but I think this facility is now built in to Moodle 2.0 in some way with the community hub feature - someone with more recent experience of Moodle might want to explain.
    Last edited by dhicks; 15th March 2011 at 04:27 PM.

Thank Post
    If you're going to host your own box of some flavour of Linux and Moodle, please for the love of the monkey fish use a packaged version of Moodle. You will be glad of the security support and upgrade handling in a year's time.

22. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

dhicks (15th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    use a packaged version of Moodle
    So I can just install Debian and type "apt-get install moodle"? Will that give me a suitibly up-to-date version? if I run "apt-get update" as a cron job is that likely to cause issues?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast