+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Recommendations for a hosted learning platform, for a specific course. in Technical; Hi Gents, I'm looking for a hosted learning environment that: Can be white labelled Gives detailed user tracking Has tutor ...

Thank Post

Recommendations for a hosted learning platform, for a specific course.

Hi Gents,

I'm looking for a hosted learning environment that:

• Can be white labelled
    • Gives detailed user tracking
    • Has tutor messaging & management
    • Has (customisable) progress reports that can automatically be exported and emailed in a standard format, for importation into another system.

I've looked at Udutu, Lectora, and the like, but haven't been able to ascertain if any can tick the last box for me.

Cheers!

Thank Post
    Moodle?

3. Thanks to jamesreedersmith from:

JordanH (3rd March 2011)

Thank Post
    Moodle did seem to be suitably vast and expandable, though I started losing my way a little when people were talking about embedding Udutu into it, when I thought that they were competing platforms.

I'll see if they have a solution for the last criterion, but any other suggestions are certainly welcome.

Thank Post
    I'm looking for a hosted learning environment that:
    • Can be white labelled
    • Has (customisable) progress reports that can automatically be exported and emailed in a standard format, for importation into another system.
    I met with an Ed Consultant from LP+ a short time after BETT and was impressed with their system.

If I read your list correctly, they do what you want, are hosted, where their security is frighteningly and reassuringly tight.

Just to fill in the gaps:

• Hosted
    o Yes, they host out of a large datacentre in Cambridge and have huge investment in security, backups, resilience and management of server farms. Their telephone based support is (from all schools I have met who use LP+) superb and you get value for money as they are as patient as saints and really know the product inside out at the helpdesk.
    • Can be white labelled

o Yes, out of the box you can either self modify or have the site design modified by LP+ consultants to be “labelled” more how you want it, so it doesn’t have to look like someone else’s VLE. I saw a guy recently doing some customisations for school sites and they looked very special and very useable.

o It’s based on Sharepoint so the data available in terms of who did what and when is abundant! It was funny when the guy showed us how you can tell if a child has edited someone else’s wiki edits and then tried to cover their tracks!

o That’s a big topic but, over and above Microsoft Outlook Web Access (and the 2010 version is very cool indeed), staff can contribute to discussion boards with near real-time alerting and can also take an option of using the Office Communicator Client for real-time 1:1 or 1:many chat sessions (including webcam video sessions and desktop sharing). They also have a “post-it” note concept to send short messages to other users which are visible next time they log in an they have a “WorryBox” feature so parents can log in and leave confidential messages for their child’s teacher. The messages are tracked, alerts can be set to flag up their presence and their status can be managed to a conclusion. Although it’s called a “WorryBox”, I thought it might also be good for any quick feedback to “Sir or Miss” on any topic good or bad.

o Yes again, though what reports you would want will dictate the way they are output I guess. What sort of progress were you thinking of? We talked about project progress, where a project manager can define what the %age is with respect to completion on a task. Because all data is essentially in a ‘list’, its all exportable in XL format and then you can do what you like with it.

IMO, the powerful apps behind the LP+ front end are what make it worth a long hard look.

HTH
    G
    Last edited by garkunkel; 3rd March 2011 at 01:50 PM.

Thank Post
    You could probably have the exports happen automatically from any system assuming that you have access to the databases. As Moodle is open source it makes this part reletivly easy. You would however need someone who knows their way around SQL and code.

Thank Post
    It's looking increasingly like Moodle will be the way we go. Now I just need to find a way to make the whole project look simple enough that people will want to help build it!

Cheers guys.

Thank Post
    Have you looked into this?
    Wordpress & Buddypress
    Scholar Press Plugin

But of a different approce to it all.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread