+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, SIMS SLG alternatives in Technical; Ok, so another thing I've been asked to look at is the SLG part of our system. ie. parental reporting. ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries

SIMS SLG alternatives

Ok, so another thing I've been asked to look at is the SLG part of our system. ie. parental reporting.

Obviously, SLG is not the only option but my Google-foo is not working properly and I'm having difficulty finding alternatives.

Can anyone point me at such alternatives?

Thank Post
    We use slg here but i did hear good things about these guys:

Insight

Theres also bromcom but I have no idea they're any good or not:

http://www.bromcom.com/mcas.asp
    Last edited by apeo; 1st February 2011 at 12:06 PM.

3. Thanks to apeo from:

localzuk (1st February 2011)

Thank Post
    From what I have seen of the Insight product and from other NM's in the area - it sounds cheaper alternative to SLG.

We use SLG here and have no problems with it and feel it is a good product also.

5. Thanks to Sylv3r from:

jenny_urey (1st February 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    From what I have seen of the Insight product and from other NM's in the area - it sounds cheaper alternative to SLG.

We use SLG here and have no problems with it and feel it is a good product also.
    We use SLG via our LEA at the moment, but may be becoming an academy so I am finding out competing pricing so we have an idea as to what is the best route for us to take.

Thank Post
    I use the Bromcom solution. They have to separate products which offer the featureset of SLG.
    Teachers' Web Folder gives teaching staff external access to SIMS data to be able to do assessments, registration, profiles etc.
    My Child At School is the parental reporting solution from them. Neither solution is SharePoint based.

Thank Post
    Seen as someone has suggested Insight from Tasc, thought I'd put up OPENHIVEInsight: OPENHIVE Products Insight

Its a Silverlight based web application, and is part of a wider set of applications (Email, VLE etc..).

Theres a YouTube demo of Insight from BETT last year: YouTube - OpenHive Part2 BETT2010

Doesnt have SIMS write back yet.

Thank Post
    Bromcom was installed here nearly a year ago however the school are still using fully using SIMS. Take from that what you will....

Thank Post
    We use Frog here for our website, VLE and very soon their Parental Engagement Portal as well.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Bromcom was installed here nearly a year ago however the school are still using fully using SIMS. Take from that what you will....
    Bromcom is a company, which product are you talking about?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 753 Posts
    +1 for Tasc Software company as they have a good product at a very reasonable price and also have other software which will enhance the data management side of your school.

The team are very friendly and any after sales service is excellent, very quick and responsive.

13. 2 Thanks to bossman:

Hightower (4th February 2011), jenny_urey (1st February 2013)

Thank Post
    Keep in mind that TASC Insight is for internal hosting only, so depends if thats an important issue for you. We are not a user, but from what I have seen and heard from them, it makes SLG look silly in terms of how straightforward, well presented and usable it is, and a similarly silly price in comparison. The revamp of the user interface I saw at BETT just the other week is really nice too.

Griff - probably unfair to ask, but are you saying your place bought in to Bromcom MCAS and have been unable to get it working with your SIMS data in a year? Can't be down to their support surely - which is second to none usually.

15. Thanks to resin1 from:

jenny_urey (1st February 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Bromcom is a company, which product are you talking about?
    Sorry that was vague of me..we bought into their MIS, Webfolder and MyChildAtSchool products. The products themsleves seem fine its just the implementation has not been smooth at all.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by resin1 View Post
    Keep in mind that TASC Insight is for internal hosting only, so depends if thats an important issue for you. We are not a user, but from what I have seen and heard from them, it makes SLG look silly in terms of how straightforward, well presented and usable it is, and a similarly silly price in comparison. The revamp of the user interface I saw at BETT just the other week is really nice too.
    Agree about the pricing! Had a quote for Insight, one for SLG and one for Bromcom's solution. SLG is wayyy out there in terms of price.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by resin1 View Post

Griff - probably unfair to ask, but are you saying your place bought in to Bromcom MCAS and have been unable to get it working with your SIMS data in a year? Can't be down to their support surely - which is second to none usually.
    I have heard nothing about the MCAS side of things because I think their main priority is just to get the MIS working. In terms of the support its been OK, I understand its not just down to them I think our SIMS data is probably quite messy but I think we were built up to expect more from them. Again hope this doesn't sound too negative because the products seem very intuitive in comparison to sims offering.

Thank Post
    Just to add on to the MCAS discussion with resin1 and Griff.
    I am a SIMS MIS site and we had MCAS installed at the same time as TWF. MCAS seemed slightly more fiddly for them to do, and this did look like SIMS database linking/syncing issues (I was watching as I facilited remote access for them to do the install!). I would say I had it up and working within a week - but based on a couple of hours per afternoon max. (I was quite keen to watch the install so only allowed them to do it when I was available, I dare say if I just left them to it they would have finished sooner!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast