+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Moodle, stick all students to be enrolled in all courses, option vanished in V2 in Technical; Hi there, Im currently testing moodle as a possible alternative to fronter, with the eventual intention of replacing fronter and ...

Thank Post

Moodle, stick all students to be enrolled in all courses, option vanished in V2

Hi there, Im currently testing moodle as a possible alternative to fronter, with the eventual intention of replacing fronter and frontermail with moodle and zimbra possibly.

Anywhoo, I have moodle setup on a test box, LDAP import and userauth with AD is working fine however I have a couple of embarrasingly simple questions.

I basically want to by default, let ALL students access all courses with no enrolment options (Ie. they can click on a course, it lets them in to view/use it, no 'do you want to enrol or anything, just straight in), any courses which I would later create for staff only, id simply disable enrollment and auto assign staff.

Anyway in previous versions of moodle, doing the OPPOSITE of the below instructions would work.

'If the default role for all users in Site Administration > Users > Permissions > User policies is set to student rather than authenticated user (the default setting), this will result in all students being enrolled in all courses. '

Now seeing as im using version 2, when I goto 'Site Administration > Users > Permissions > User policies' , it is set as authenticated user but in the drop down there are no other options so I can't select Student.

Any ideas anyone?

Secondary, when creating a folder 'container' in a course, the file upload prompts me to download the repository_ajax.php file, rather than just upload my file. Im assuming this is a slight mis-config of php on the server, php itself in general is working ok, but is there any includes or apache extras I have to enable?

Any help will be most helpful!

Some people may be asking why I want to do this, basically our fronter is setup the same way, all students can see all course content, we have no discussion bits etc so abuse wouldnt happen. Im trying to get it as simple as possible to avoid the envitable 'oh its different we dont like it' attitude.

We have our reasons for wanting to move away from fronter, too numerous to mention.
    Last edited by WebbA; 26th January 2011 at 11:07 AM.

Thank Post
    Hi there. Two questions in one there really -
    first -it's going to be difficult to get all your students automatically enrolled in all courses in Moodle 2.0 as one of the things it has achieved is to try to prevent that - too many establishment were getting confused because all their students appeared in all courses even when they didn't study that subject. I could probably suggest ways -you could just give guest access to your courses for example -but long term it would be annoying both to the students in that they would have a long list of courses and to the teachers once they start using the moodle mark book -they'd have a load of year 7s in their GCSE Maths class for example.
    Second one - the repository ajax php download attempt -this isn't your problem but Moodle's - it was a known bug in earlier versions of 2.0 and it was thought to be fixed -but it came back! Tracker entry here [#MDL-25895] repository_ajax.php tries to download to the browser - Moodle Tracker There's a patch I think but the issue is currently marked as "unresolved"

Thank Post
    if the kids dont enroll they wont show up properly in the courses, things like reporting will goto pot. Best thing is to let them come in as guests but enroll themselves or be enrolled in courses they need to take part in

Thank Post
    Thanks for the two replies. See your points about it. We defo can't go down the enrolment key route due to a few things (best not to ask lol), so maybe allowing students to enrol themselves in each course is an alternative.

Regarding the uploader thats a shame, ill see if the have a work around, may just look at 1.9.

Thank Post
    Can't you just set a blank enrolment key? So the children can browse to what ever course they need to join and then enrol.
    We have navigation on the front page that allows them to this and works really well.

Thank Post
    Ok file upload issue fixed by editing the repository_ajax.php file, changing

Code:
      @header('Content-type: text/plain');
    to
    Code:
      @header('Content-type: text/html');
    and sticking it after

Code:
    echo $OUTPUT->header(); // send headers
    regarding enrolling all students, trickydicky has the right idea but i think ill just do user-self enrollment and just hide the 'do you want to enrol' page.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread