+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Moodle and OxBox in Technical; Hi Everyone! I have installed a test version of Moodle 2.0 (Latest Build) and made a filesystem repo, copied my ...

Thank Post

Moodle and OxBox

Hi Everyone!

I have installed a test version of Moodle 2.0 (Latest Build) and made a filesystem repo, copied my OxBox scorm 1.2 file to it. Now the file is 1.6gb in size. When i try and apply the content to a course to make it available, its spends ages extracting the zip and installing it (had to alter PHP processing time variables). It does however become available to the course but some of the content is missing, activities dont load, but downloadables appear ok, its generally a mess.

Anyone got these type of content packs to work on Moodle? If so... How?

Many Thanks,
    Dan
    Last edited by danselvey; 11th January 2011 at 03:02 PM. Reason: More descriptive

Thank Post
    Hi Dan.

Having the exact same problem here with GCSE maths for OCR OXBOX. Identical to how you describe. We are running on LEA moodle 1.9 and I have tried both the 1.2 and 2004 versions with no success.

Oxford University Press have not been particularly helpful, saying that basically they can't test it or support it on individual VLE's, their line is that they made the SCORM package successfully and it is up to us to get it working on whatever VLE we use. Nice.

Both me and the LEA are stumped and have been since Sept.

When I looked at it in Sept I could not find anyone else in the entire world who was using these packages! It is nice to finally meet someone who is using an OxBox!!!

I would like to shake your hand sir because now I do not feel alone any more!!!!

This post has been no help whatsoever to you but it made me feel better anyway!!!

Butuz

Thank Post
    Oxbox, ahh yes we have AS level and A Level French versions installed.

Only one version of the SCORM worked (I think it was 2004) but the actually SCORM is so messy its near unusable anyway! The menus are in random orders, where activity 1 might be after activity 6 etc etc, its a nightmare!

I tried changing the order of the menu using some SCORM editing utility, maybe I did it wrong I don't know but even when I corrected the menu order saved it and then re-uploaded it and it went back to the original mess!

Thank Post
    Aha I managed to figure out the problem with our Moodle and our Oxbox. It was the last thing I tried - it is our theme!!!!

If I change our moodle back to any of the standard moodle themes our Oxbox displays properly and opens and previews all resources. If I change it back to my school theme it breaks the Oxbox as above.

I am in the process of downloading some third party themes to see if I can replicate this behaviour, or if it is simply my theme that is totally non SCORM compliant.

So give that a try - try changing your theme.

Butuz

Thank Post
    Interesting (like in "may you live in intersting times!"

I am currently trying to get something useful from the OxBox Geography OCR A SCORM package which I have uploaded to Harvest Road Hive. When it is eventually up it looks horrible, there is no pattern to the content or an understandable menu structure, you can poke around inside it and find bits but the teachers are going to ignore it as it is.

Oxford have suggested that the problem is the huge size of the upload but since when I explode the package onto a local machine I get an identical confusing structure and content to the Hive loaded version I dont think its the upload.

I have raised the problem with Link2ICT, anyone out there got any ideas?

Thank Post
    oxbox1.jpg

Here is what the maths version looks like on moodle. I agree it's not pretty. But at the moment I am just happy that it works!!!

7. Thanks to Butuz from:

MDHW-FDHS (17th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Yep thats what I hoped it would look like.

What I get on the Hive repository is a directory tree of erratically numbered folders, our Moodle will not take uploads of more than 64M and the compressed package is 1.19Gb as a compressed folder.

Using the hive means we dont need multiple iterations of files we can link to a single object from a number of courses.

Thank Post

Continued OxBox problems

I was just handed the Geography package this morning and everything appears to go to plan but when I click on the link to the program there's no content displayed (we're using Moodle 1.9, by the way) hitting the Enter button brings up a page which has a countdown as the program is "loading" then a 404 error. I sent an email to their tech support this morning before coming here. Oh dear.

Thank Post
    Did anyone ever manage to get this sorted out? We got an OxBox WJEC French AS resource package, I added the SCORM 1.2 package to our AS French page on our 2.6 Moodle and it ended up looking like this: imgur: the simple image sharer

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread