+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, CLEO help PLEASE! in Technical; *sigh* Two statements: I hate moodle I hate CLEO even more. Story goes thus: School gets shown some moodle, certain ...

Thank Post

Question CLEO help PLEASE!

*sigh*

Two statements:
    I hate moodle
    I hate CLEO even more.

Story goes thus:
    School gets shown some moodle, certain SLT members think it's good without actually knowing what it is, ICT techs get told it is on the board to be implemented. I decide to take a look. I rage quit and ask for help.

I have had moodle set up before, i dont like it but perhaps that's because of CLEO.

We run SIMS and currently have a custom made intranet that links in really nicely pulling out timetables for staff and kids, allows resource booking based on rooms that are/arent in use for certain periods, loves our two week timetable etc...

Cleo cant do all of that as far as i am aware, but what it should be able to do is import data but i cant even get the poxy thing installed.

I have installed moodle 2.0 from scratch, the instructions for CLEO tell you to patch some files, not a problem. Except one of the files no longer exists in moodle (admin/roles/assign.html) so now what? Well there is another file on the GIT website, i think "woah that's confusing, there must be a little tutorial, ah there is!" *reads tutorial*... "Wait what?" That explained 0% of GIT and so i sit staring at this useless website and files, the author who posted a "here is a solution thread" just dumped the link, someone asked how to use it but eventually found the solution but didnt share, nice.

So i save the data on the website (in the form of DIFF) as .patch files, open it in my patch GUI program and it cant find any of the paths, nice. Correct that, still nothing. Give up. re-install moodle thinking perhaps i missed something. Nope.

I had CLEO installed before, perhaps on a previous version of moodle but i am so irritated that no-one seems to have any information on this, google gives me sweet FA, the CLEO website is less useful than my own attempts at beating the computer in submission and so i am here.

Please, does someone have a nice instruction set for installing CLEO into moodle 2.0?!?!

Thank Post
    Highly doubt they will be rolling out 2.0, it's very new and has some problems. (associated with being new/different).

Stick with 1.9.10 for now, might go along a bit better.

Thank Post
    are you in cumbria or lancashire? cleo do all the installation of moodle for you and will even design a template for it. their installation will also include the mis upload tool. which to get the data into moodle you need to run 2 reports from sims and import them into moodle. there's instructions on the cleo website for this Link. have a look round that and complete this form and they will set an instance of moodle on their servers up for you.

Thank Post
    I think they are on about the tool that CLEO developed to import users and put them in classes from SIMS.

Thank Post
    cleo are still running 1.9.10 at the moment so i presume that their tool will only be tested and compatible with that version.

Thank Post
    *massive sigh*

Thanks guys, guess i will have to use a nice old version of software... Just as well since my moodle install has just become corrupt. I hate this thing! Any other premade CMS type system, fine and easy (well, except sakai....) but this is just a pig!!

We are based in Essex so (thankfully) we are on our own to experiment which is better than having the LA take control IMHO.

I will try moodle 1.9x and see how it goes.

Cheers.

Thank Post
    Just wanted to reiterate what previous poster said - the CLEO MIS upload tool doesn't yet work with Moodle 2.0 and in many respects Moodle 2.0 isn't ready for production sites - you will have much more success (and be much less stressed out!) by using 1.9.10. There are incidentally other SIMS to Moodle options going around, though they are paid for iirc

Thank Post
    I got it working but in the end it didnt do what i hoped it would do. I had a look at sims2ad but moodle and ldap have never worked here despite having set up LDAP and a helpdesk system (GLPI) with relative ease.

I dont really see moodle being a viable system for us, it doesnt do most of what we need and while it does have a few things we dont have at the moment like forums and such it just doesnt tie in deeply enough. As it stands our intranet pulls everything from SIMS, bi-weekly time tables, gradings, attendance, parental contact details, SEN status, pupil photos, reports etc... With moodle the staff would need to manually open an in class session on their course, give it a name etc... just so they can then give each pupil a mark and estimate grades etc... and duplicate all the data in sims manually.

Unless im missing something i dont really see the point in moodle, i have emailed a local 6th form as i know they use it just to see what they actually do with it. If anyone has a few minutes to post what they use it for and how i would definitely read it but otherwise i think moodle is getting dropped again.

On a sider note has anyone tried the SIMS gateway stuff? Looks interesting from the POV of monitoring grades, attendance, behavior etc... but doesnt quite have the VLE content.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread